Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think DIT is a really bad college

Options
  • 06-08-2007 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I know that statement might get under some people's skin but I went there last year for a post-graduate course so I have experience of other colleges for comparison! I really thought it was such a waste of time. I did legal studies, some of the lecturers were absolutetly crap! Or so far up their own arses they hadn't a clue what was going on! If you have a question or an issue you want addressed, good luck with it! It's August and I STILL HAVE NOT GOT MY RESULTS POSTED TO ME. I had to ring them, about 6 times, told many times that they were on the way, then told that some particular person was away so they couldn't help me blah blah blah. Had to ring Fergus Ryan directly and he told me over the phone!

If I thought the college was crap when I studied there you can only imagine what I think now. Now this is my opinion and I'm sure that there are loads of people there who have thought it was a great place to study but I just wanted to put this out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

And you did legal studies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭paulac

Shows how much I was taught!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 caviaronaplate

DIT is the most useless college going...Im in Kevin ST and they are brutal... still haven't got my exam timetable from them had to ring about 10 times to find out my repeat dates .. never got summer exam results posted out... assessment results always take forever to get... one set we didn;t even have when we were sitting summer exams like its kind of important to know if you've passed your CA before sitting summer exams.. lecturers are RUBBISH (apart from a select few in fairness).. thank god only one year left

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

slate the schools if you must but not every faculty in DIT is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

DIT is the most useless college going...Im in Kevin ST and they are brutal... still haven't got my exam timetable from them had to ring about 10 times to find out my repeat dates .. never got summer exam results posted out... assessment results always take forever to get... one set we didn;t even have when we were sitting summer exams like its kind of important to know if you've passed your CA before sitting summer exams.. lecturers are RUBBISH (apart from a select few in fairness).. thank god only one year left

They dont have to have CA results.

Its up to the lecture.

Maybe if you put as much effort in the exams as the complaint you wouldn't need to know the repeat timetable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Trampas wrote:
    They dont have to have CA results.

Its up to the lecture.

Not true. In most cases they have at least some if not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I find its normally only people who have failed a subject /have to repeat who complain.

DIT FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Bolton St is great in my opinion.

Everything is online if you miss a lecture you can get the notes.

Exams were well organized and results were online 2 weeks after the date of the last exam. (for everybody in the faculty of engineering anyway)

Canteen is great but food is overpriced.

CA results updated on a regular basis.

Loads of Socs & always something on. I Can't complain anyway maybe its different in other faculties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rudie-

i would have discribed the canteen the otherway around,
    decos and deli baby all the way =)

architecture tech. is a well managed course, very accommodating. we also get most things online too.

seems peoples experiences of dit are all about what course/ facility/ campus they are on. i know people in other courses in dit who also think they are a joke, same can be said for others in different colleges. everyones college experiences are different depending on what they expect.

out of the oc i didnt know what to expect so my standerds were not the same as a post grads.. maybe thats it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

spent a year in mountjoy square doing social care. unfortunately had to drop out due to personal stuffs, but the levels of help and support i got from lecturers are impressive. there were one or two lecturers i didnt like, but thats subjective really. for the most part, i found it to be a great college, and truly miss it.

• Advertisement

BC wrote:
    Not true. In most cases they have at least some if not all.
    he meant the lecturer is not obliged to release CA results, and either is the exams office.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

why is it important...you should be trying to pass everything regardless of CA. Plus knowing you need 60% in an exam shouldnt affect if you can get 60%. you either can or you cant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

now now, this thread isn't gonna stay up long if peeps are gonna be badmouthin DIT...this not cricket at all at all :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Tessie

What I'd like to know is do I turn up in September? or go somewhere else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Despite the basics like a lack of functioning equipment and tissue paper in the chemistry labs...and the random flies and other inedible factors in the food:eek: , I am very happy to have passed through DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i wasn't very happy with DIT (computer science student) at all, and in fact pretty much moaned my way through. the college itself (facilities etc.) is on par with everything else (except UCD, which is just a chore) but some of my lecturers (and from what i hear, other faculties have this issue too) were dog awful and clearly didn't give a rats ass about the course or the students. the most enthusiastic of lecturers seemed to be teaching the less important modules too, which was a pitty.

Cremo wrote:
    he meant the lecturer is not obliged to release CA results, and either is the exams office.

You can get them under Freedom of Information if they refuse to give them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Oh my god, why would you bother....CA results are nice to have, but its not like knowing you need 43% to pass the year is gonna get you 43%...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

They give you your CA results in the post with your exam results so you get them.

They dont have to give you your results during the year.

The reason is that the CA results given by the lecturer still have to be confirmed by the external examiner so if your lecturer give you 60% but if the external examiner says thats only a 40%.

Did you ask your lecturer why they didn't give out CA results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I have issues with DIT too but I'm returning to Kevin Street after three years absence this September. When do they post out the registration details for the upcoming year? I rang the admissions office but was never satisfied with their responses.

... ...nothing can beat the smell of the bakery at lunchtime though!

• Advertisement

Kevster wrote:
    I have issues with DIT too but I'm returning to Kevin Street after three years absence this September. When do they post out the registration details for the upcoming year? I rang the admissions office but was never satisfied with their responses.

normally the first week in september i think, i remember it be really late last year and as an impressionable first year was a tad worried that i was forgotten :D.

just noticed they are updating the email system for the next college year, can we say bye bye to squirrel(poop)-mail? *crosses fingers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

As was said above, the minute you mention the word 'repeats' your argument is null in void. Most people who have bad experiences are the ones who didn't put in the effort or who just dont derserve to be there in the first place.

Kevster wrote:

You should ring registrations not admissions.
    Try www.dit.ie/registrations for contact details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Brillo_pad

I went to the DIT a good while back loved it but did find them very poorly organised. specially the time table

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

DIT has it good points and its bad points - just like every other college in the country. It also has some woeful lecurers and some stunning ones - again like every other college!

In general it's grand and I enjoyed my four years so much that I'm back for another year (and nothing to do with repeats!).

Just on the CA issue. Lecturers are not obliged to give results for CA but they are obliged to give feedback on assessments (i.e. they don't have to tell you that you got 12% but they do have to let you know you did crap, or vice versa). If there are any issues with getting results and the like then send a message through to vpacademic@ditsu.ie and the union will come a-calling on the colleges door!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Went to DIT Kevin St. in the early 90's and loved it! great craic. Things must've changed since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Just finished my degree in Kevin Street (Comp Sci) and I have never had a single problem! If anything I found that DIT is a better place to go to college as your treated like a person not just a name and number in a class of 500! Never had a problem with the way it is organised either! I did have to do a repeat in my time and you dont recieve the details till late! In my case it was 2 days after registration but I figured I ad passed because it would let me register online for my next year!

Overall though I would think its prob one of the better places to go to college! And yes of course there are one or two dodgy lecturer but this is common with any uni of college. I always had good craic with mine and they always went out of there way to help, with the exception of one. ( you know who he is)

Also harassing the exam office staff is not going to get you results or details faster I never did it I always just waited for my info and it always arrived in due time. Just have some patience and relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Cant say I agree with that....

Or that. . .

I wasnt aware that that stuff for sale in the canteen is actually food.
    Loads of Socs & always something on.

FAR too many guys in this college..... all socs are overrun with everyone and their "mates"....Insider trading!!!!

Goin into my last year in Bolton St and I seriously cannot wait to get out of there. Its old, delapidated, poorly resourced and dirty.

[/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

WRONG, DIT is Excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement