Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query

Options
  • 06-08-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Are members of the Gardaí allowed to talk on mobiles while driving? Nearly got clipped by one today doing that, have the license plate number & a good description. Maybe it's my currect condition making me paranoid but I'm kinda cross about it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

go into millstreet and make a complaint..

just say time of occurance, white car with stripe along side and here's the registration number.. let them figure it out for them selves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Current condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think they are exempt from the Road Traffic Act 2006 (Section 3) which makes it an offence to drive a vehicle while holding a mobile phone. An offence is committed by holding a mobile phone while driving and matters such as whether or not the phone was being used or switched on at the time are not relevant.

The offence will attract 2 penalty points on payment of a fixed charge and 4 penalty points on conviction. In addition, a person could face a maximum fine of €2,000 on conviction.”

As the current law stands, a driver risks getting five penalty points and a fine of up to €1,500 if the use of a mobile phone causes careless driving.
    Gardaí (Police) can pursue drivers using mobile phones and charge them with careless driving even if no accident has occurred. Gardaí also have the power to check telephone records if they suspect that a driver was involved in an accident whilst using a mobile phone. *

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah they are, the b4stards :mad:

Discussion on the motors forum lately, do a search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Why should the be exempt? I mean I'm three months pregnant & traumatised tonight, I'm seriously upset. He pushed me out of my lane with his erratic driving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yeah they are, the b4stards :mad:

Discussion on the motors forum lately, do a search

Maybe they are, but they're not allowed drive in a dangerous manner, such as described by the OP. I'd say even if they can't be done for using a mobile, they could be done for dangerous/careless driving.

Why should the be exempt? I mean I'm three months pregnant & traumatised tonight, I'm seriously upset. He pushed me out of my lane with his erratic driving!

No point in telling us, down to Mill Street with ya (prob a waste of time though) or get in touch with the Ombudsman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

No point in talking here full stop in the Galway City Thread or even the Motors Thread. There is a load of exemptions to Traffic Laws
    Using Mobile Phones with your hand
    Not wearing Seat Belts
    Breaking Speed Limit
    Running Red Lights

Its important to remember the Law makes some people excempt but on the other hand Insurance Companies say otherwise; e.g. An Ambulance can break a Red light but is not insured to.

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/ is the only place if you got a problem with the Gardai

I'm sorry I upset ye by coming on here, I wanted a bit of advice. Thanks to those who gave it.

I'm sorry I upset ye by coming on here, I wanted a bit of advice. Thanks to those who gave it.

You didn't upset anybody :rolleyes:

What we're telling you is you're wasting your time by telling us how traumatised you were. You need to be telling that to the Gardai or ombudsman when making a complaint

• Advertisement

Definetly didn't upset anyone here. Its just you could setup a whole forum about given out about the Gardai or questioning them but I think they are doing a good job with the resources they have.

I agree. They do a really good job but when not pursuing somebody surely they should at least try to abide by the rules. I was very shaken & thusfar have gotten nowhere with them, they fobbed me off as soon as I said I was pregnant & suggested that was why I was so upset.

I agree. They do a really good job but when not pursuing somebody surely they should at least try to abide by the rules. I was very shaken & thusfar have gotten nowhere with them, they fobbed me off as soon as I said I was pregnant & suggested that was why I was so upset.

Cheeky bastards! If you feel strongly enough about it insist on making an official complaint, if they fob you off demand to speak to the sergeant in charge, or go higher. Take it to the ombudsman if that fails

Defo complain via http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

Spotted this in the legal forum, seems to apply here.

Exemptions for emergency vehicles
    Requirements under the Road Traffic Acts 1961 to 2004 relating to vehicles and requirements, restrictions and prohibitions relating to the driving and use of vehicles, other than those provided under sections 49 and 50 (inserted by sections 10 and 11 , respectively, of the Act of 1994 ), 51A and 52 (inserted by sections 49 and 50 , respectively, of the Act of 1968 ) and 53 of the Principal Act and sections 12, 13, 14 and 15 of the Act of 1994 , do not apply to a driver of a fire brigade vehicle, an ambulance or the use by a member of the Garda Síochána of a vehicle in the performance of the duties of that member or a person driving or using a vehicle under the direction of a member of the Garda Síochána, where such use does not endanger the safety of road users.

Advertisement