Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees on College or University couse's ???

Options
  • 06-08-2007 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Will fee’s for college & university course’s be applied this year and every year after etc or will it be next year this applies to students ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm sorry, but did you claim to be a doctor in another thread?

Learn how to use apostrophes. Cut down on the question marks, and rephrase the question, THEN I (or someone else) might be able to understand it and answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

OP, are you asking if all students are going to have to pay university fees? If so, then no.
    However, if a person is repeating a year (illness excepted), then yes, they have to pay fees for that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭______

how about if they do a different course next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You have to pay fees if you switch courses. It's something like €4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You have to pay registration fees, which I think are ~€800 but I'm sure these will be outlined in your welcome pack literature that the colleges will send out shortly. You can apply for a grant, and depending on your personal circumstances you may be entitled to a grant which will cover these fees. I'd recommend that you visit MyGrant.ie for further information or ask a question on their forum which is hosted here on Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

As the 2nd poster said this is strange coming from someone who say's he's a doctor

'as for my self as a Doctor in Educational psychology I can’t comment on your behalf . And your leaning needs on less a full tests has been carried out

If you would like to talk to me more ;

Dr. James Sinton just send a private message ok

Regards :

Dr. Sinton'

Not disputing that fact but you had a real deterioration in your vocabulary in a short time it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 myth-8

Rozabeez wrote:
    I'm sorry, but did you claim to be a doctor in another thread?

Learn how to use apostrophes. Cut down on the question marks, and rephrase the question, THEN I (or someone else) might be able to understand it and answer.

Yes I comprehend I did , but I did not say I was doing the leaving cert ….when I took the leaving cert last was in 1978. And I don’t grasp if you’re a teacher or not . But you should know if you are a teacher a educational psychologist at doctoring level is superior level than a teacher’s level . And for your information I have a daughter who is doing the leaving cert next year !! No you have no justification to commentary on me .

Please do not pay attention to this woman --- she’s just acting unintelligent like continuously

myth-8 wrote:
    Will fee’s for college & university course’s be applied this year and every year after etc or will it be next year this applies to students ????

The University Presidents/Provosts want fees - though, again, I see it as they want more money for the Unis, nothing else. It's quite late in the academic year to charge fees for college courses for courses starting in September/October, so I imagine that if they are to come back in that it'll be announced in November/December (for all students in college in Sept. 2008 onwards).

My sister was in college in NUIG and had to pay one half years fees when 'free fees' came in, so it can come in half-way through the year. But the only thing happening at the moment is, if you excuse the phrase, repeated cock-blowing of the Government by the Presidents/Provosts in order to get additional money.

So there are NO plans on the shelf at the moment, at least in the public arena, for fees to come in.

If a person does a different course, yes they have to pay fees - if they want to know how much that is, obviously contact the college themselves. But they should look to see if they can transfer courses (i.e. do Physics in first year, and aren't happy but see if they can transfer to Maths in second year) or something like that), or if they would be exempted from taking some modules since they would have completed them in the other course (thereby reducing the modules for the repeat year and reducing the cost of repeating). This varies with the college so, as always, check with them.

myth-8 wrote:
    And for your information I have a daughter who is doing the leaving cert next year !!

Well right now it's uncertain what will happen for students entering/continuing college in 2008 as to whether fees will be charged or not. Minister Hanafin hasn't said that they are, but as I said in the below post if she is, I expect it in November/December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Next year could suck to do the leaving. Possibly having to do exams at weekends and having to pay uni fees. It would be a shame if the latter happened unless theres something put in to allow less well off students to be exempt from fees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

myth-8 wrote:
    Yes I comprehend I did , but I did not say I was doing the leaving cert ….when I took the leaving cert last was in 1978. And I don’t grasp if you’re a teacher or not . But you should know if you are a teacher a educational psychologist at doctoring level is superior level than a teacher’s level And for your information I have a daughter who is doing the leaving cert next year !! No you have no justification to commentary on me .

Please do not pay attention to this woman --- she’s just acting unintelligent like continuously

Is this a joke!?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

myth-8 wrote:
    Yes I comprehend I did , but I did not say I was doing the leaving cert ….when I took the leaving cert last was in 1978. And I don’t grasp if you’re a teacher or not . But you should know if you are a teacher a educational psychologist at doctoring level is superior level than a teacher’s level . And for your information I have a daughter who is doing the leaving cert next year !! No you have no justification to commentary on me .

lol pwned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Instead of judging and questioning people, lets try and me a little helpful instead. it's probably easier.

Next year could suck to do the leaving. Possibly having to do exams at weekends and having to pay uni fees. It would be a shame if the latter happened unless theres something put in to allow less well off students to be exempt from fees.

Students entering college this year would have to pay fees too if they're brought in next year! Apart from those who would be ineligible for fees.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    lol pwned.

Whats that mean??:o ...now i feel like the idiot!:(

TimAy wrote:
    Instead of judging and questioning people, lets try and me a little helpful instead. it's probably easier.

please!! cynical and judging is my middle name.....its way easier!:D

Myth wrote:
    Students entering college this year would have to pay fees too if they're brought in next year! Apart from those who would be ineligible for fees.

Yes but one free year is better than no free year. Shame theres no general election coming any time soon. Id say that would have scared the government from thinking about suggestions about introducing fees.

Yes but one free year is better than no free year.

Of course! Well, unless the Gov. decides to make it retrospective, or just charges a €10,000 'fee' on everyone graduating payable within 5 years. Who knows!
    Shame theres no general election coming any time soon. Id say that would have scared the government from thinking about suggestions about introducing fees.

As I said in another thread, why do you think this is being brought up now? It's the longest possible time UNTIL the next GE. It's what happened when Dempsey proposed to bring back in fees in 2002. Now wasn't that after a GE?

Myth wrote:
    Of course! Well, unless the Gov. decides to make it retrospective, or just charges a €10,000 'fee' on everyone graduating payable within 5 years. Who knows!

As I said in another thread, why do you think this is being brought up now? It's the longest possible time UNTIL the next GE. It's what happened when Dempsey proposed to bring back in fees in 2002. Now wasn't that after a GE?

Well just have to wait and see I suppose. Also that retrospective idea scares me. I wonder if this would mean a bigger grant, i somehow doubt it. ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I must have had my head in the sand regarding this issue, I had no idea they were planning no reintroducing the fees! I remember reading about it in 2002 and commenting at the time to my mother, "what's the point in me going through school for the next 5 years only to not be able to afford college at the end of it all!". Going to college had always been my dream and I would be mentally and financially devastated if it's decided to reintroduce fees and feel it would be a step backwards for the Irish Education System if they do such a thing!

I know that this is probably all a storm in a teacup, as from what I can remember, they were planning on reintroducing fees because not enough people were taking advantage of the free fees. Or in other words, not enough people from less well off areas were opting to go to college which was one of the initial aims of free fees. I would imagine that this measure would be simply to make those who can afford to pay for college, pay, and those who can't afford it, be subsidised via further means tested grants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

myth-8 wrote:

TimAy, apologies but after this I'll back down. :)

No, I am not a teacher, I am a 17 year old girl. Perhaps I'm so unintelligent that I can't understand your posts, or perhaps it's the fact that they make very little sense due to the amount of grammatical errors?

I asked you to rephrase your posts, as 1huge1 said, you seem to have lost a basic grasp on the English language from one thread to another.

First impression of you = troll.

Hope you found out the information you were looking for when posting this thread though, I'm glad some others had the intelligence to pick out some sense from your original post.

Anything else you have to say to me, I'm sure the mods and other users would appreciate if you took it to PM.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Its a troll. There was a poster called Shane80 here not too long ago who posted in the exact same style and was saying he's doing the leaving next year. He said he wanted to be an educational psychologist when he's older too. He even had the same avater ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

TimAy wrote:
    Since when has being helpful ever been easier than being difficult?

:)

So back onto fees...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0803/education.html
    No plans to reintroduce college fees: Minister
    Friday, 3 August 2007 15:26

The Minister for Education, Mary Hanafin, has said the government has no plans to reintroduce third level college fees.

The Minister made the statement at the announcement this morning of a €230m investment for research programmes in third level institutions.

The money will be used for a range of studies from bio-pharmaceutical to medicine and health to food science.

The Minister also said she intends to introduce some changes next year to the Leaving Certificate timetable in order to help relieve pressure on students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You have to pay registration fees, which I think are ~€800 but I'm sure these will be outlined in your welcome pack literature that the colleges will send out shortly. You can apply for a grant, and depending on your personal circumstances you may be entitled to a grant which will cover these fees. I'd recommend that you visit MyGrant.ie for further information or ask a question on their forum which is hosted here on Boards.
    €825 AFAIK. Too late for the grant to cover it. In order to receive confirmation of your grant and to have the registration fee paid [in Galway at least], the fully-completed grant application form had to be returned by some time at the end of July. Kicking myself now. The same thing happened a sibling. They got the money back a year later though.

ethernet wrote:
    €825 AFAIK. Too late for the grant to cover it. In order to receive confirmation of your grant and to have the registration fee paid [in Galway at least], the fully-completed grant application form had to be returned by some time at the end of July. Kicking myself now. The same thing happened a sibling. They got the money back a year later though.

Really? That's a bit mad. Other colleges allow you just to let them know that you're paying a grant, and they'll bug the Council for money then.

And really? An entire year to get the money back?! Seriously, if that's the case give the Dept. of Education a ring. I know other colleges do charge you and pay it back in a few months, but a year is pathetic. The whole point of getting a grant is neglected if you've to fork out money for the registration fee!

ethernet wrote:

I know someone who went to galway and after asking about it got it a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Myth wrote:
    Really? That's a bit mad. Other colleges allow you just to let them know that you're paying a grant, and they'll bug the Council for money then.

And really? An entire year to get the money back?! Seriously, if that's the case give the Dept. of Education a ring. I know other colleges do charge you and pay it back in a few months, but a year is pathetic. The whole point of getting a grant is neglected if you've to fork out money for the registration fee!
    It's true. A full sheet stating these terms was stapled to the front of the application form. I suppose it depends who you know as well. I think you need the confirmation from the Council when registering; otherwise you pay. Need the auld one to get a form sorted yet. She's taking her time. Grrrrrr!

Advertisement