Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smudge Marks on the Lens of My Sony DSC-P200

• 06-08-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I have a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera that's served me well for the last two years. It's in perfect mechanical order, but I am having trouble with the lens. There was/is an oily type stain that wouldn't budge and appeared as a mark or shadow in pictures when the zoom was used. I bought an Allsop lens cleaning pen to try and remove the stain, but that only seems to have made the problem worse and has resulted in more 'shadows' appearing in pictures when the zoom is used.
    The lens isn't scratched but rather smudged in a manner that I can't seem to clean. I was told by someone that Sony use a special anti-glare treatment on the lens and this is possibly to blame.

Is there anyway of cleaning the lens, can I do it myself or is there a shop that can do this? As I said mechanically it is perfect and the lens isn't scratched, just a little dirty. Surely manufacturer's realise this kind of thing happens and have accounted for this. I'd really hate to have to throw this away just because of this.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem I'm having. I'd really appreciate any help you folks can give me.

Edit - Sorry mods, but I've just realised I posted this in the wrong section. I didn't want to offend any of the real photographers in the other section and when I saw 'Digital Darkroom' I tought this was the place. But upon seeing the title's of the thread's that haven't been moved I realised my mistake. Apologies.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

if its only a smudge you should be able to clean it off with the correct solution.
    I can't telly you what the correct solution is tho! Have you emailed the manufacturer's support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have indeed contacted them, and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

this looks like dust on the sensor, its hard to get in there to clean it , its behind the lens, you may need to send it back to SONY to get it professinally done..

I had the same problem with a canon powershot, but i ended up using photo shop to remove it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks jackdaw. I guess I'll have to go down that route. Do you have any idea of the costs involved? If it's going to be steep, it might be just as well to buy a new camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

you could try cleaning it wiht a sensor cleaner but if you're not careful you could pwnerate your sensor and thus your camera...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

OP if it's within the warranty period you should get it done for free,
    I know in the UK there are some camera shops that will attempt it there and then!! i don't think in ireland though .. take it into a few camera shops in dublin and ask them for advice ..price etc ... or the off chance that they will try to clean it there & then..

Advertisement