Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charcoal Grill

Options
  • 06-08-2007 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Hello Galway Posters,

I would just like to come on the Galway Board and sing the praises of this truly great Kebab place. I am from Limerick, and was in Galway for the weekend, which might I say was excellent, I love that city so much. The weekend was topped off with many visits to Charcoal Grill. I love this place's Doner Meat and Fries, its the best :).

Until this weekend I didnt know there were two, I go to the one by Tir Na Og when I am in Galway.

Does anyone agree with me about C Grills greatness!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

I'd have to agree with you as well. I could eat their mixed doners all night long. I go there when I can, which is not as much as I'd like.;)
    Also for what you get, their not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Defo man, it was my first time in Galway in months, and my first port of call was C Grill.

There was nothing better than going back to my hotel in the early hours of Sunday morning after having a glut of Guiness ( Some of the best pints ever in Freeneys) and tucking into my doner meat and Fries. Heavenly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Bring back the half pounder with cheese! What a beast of a burger.

Its really cheap as well compared to Supermacs or McD's and its infinitely better.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

best place ever, always go for a doner whenever i go out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Charcoal Grill is yummy. Bested only by the Kebab place on Dominick St, and thats only cause its on my way home from town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was actually gonna go in today but was swayed by a friend.
    Love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Anima wrote:
    Bring back the half pounder with cheese! What a beast of a burger.

They still do half pounders? Half pounder + chips for 7.50 sitting down if I'm not mistaken :)

Unless they've taken it away in the last two weeks...don't say that..

Well I haven't seen them in the little fridges where they keep the burgers but maybe they keep them somewhere else. I doubt they get ordered that often :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

:D
    Was there last night, usually pay a visit after a bit of roisin. I remember when it used to be strawberry fields (old school). Great place for munch in the wee hours after copious amounts of alcohol, dancing and women.

I can see a "CHARCOAL GRILL APPRECIATION SOCIETY" being set up...with endorsements such as "I met my wife...in charcoal grill..."

The staff are dead on as well...always up for a laugh and know how to handle the crowd at that time of the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Ate there sober once,didn't think much of it although when you have a few beers its good but so are most take aways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Sober or with a few pints on, I love that place. Without doubt the best place to go in Galway after a night out though. Mixed kebab with everything on ftw, sooo good ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

compared to the kebab house the charcoal grills curry cheese chips are lacking, pity there's the distance between them as if i could i'd take a trip to both (that's the kind of logic i have after a night out)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JIZZLORD wrote:
    compared to the kebab house the charcoal grills curry cheese chips are lacking, pity there's the distance between them as if i could i'd take a trip to both (that's the kind of logic i have after a night out)
    You can't have two rival kebabbaries in close proximity, for the safety of society.

A friend of mine once inadvertently nearly started a nuclear war between two kebab shops in France by bringing his chips from the one that did good chips in to accompany his better kebab in the other place. I've seen more cordial neighbours in the Gaza strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Might I also add that comparing the charcoal grill to the kebab house is tantamount to comparing a fine bordillo in paris to a crack addicted whore called paris......FOR SHAME SIR!, FOR SHAME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

that place is just an institution it's that simple! God I'd love a doner but a long way away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brinepacer

I used to go in there two or three times a week for the dinner, then usually after the pub aswell on my way home to Dun Aengus. The irish guy that was there was always sound, would have a quick chat when he could, but the turkish guys rarely acknowleged my presence, dispite my being in there probably eight times a week. The irish guy even told me once that the turkish dudes rarely talked to him either. I got talking to one guy once and ended up getting a flat for him, but soon after that he stopped talking to me again. One night i tried getting into a conversation with the guy who seems to be the main guy and asked if he'd teach me some turkish. He said sure, and rattled off something in turkish. I repeated it and asked what it meant, and he said "that means 'go **** yourself". I walked out on the spot. That was almost two years ago and i've not been back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

brinepacer wrote:
    I used to go in there two or three times a week for the dinner, then usually after the pub aswell on my way home to Dun Aengus. The irish guy that was there was always sound, would have a quick chat when he could, but the turkish guys rarely acknowleged my presence, dispite my being in there probably eight times a week. The irish guy even told me once that the turkish dudes rarely talked to him either. I got talking to one guy once and ended up getting a flat for him, but soon after that he stopped talking to me again. One night i tried getting into a conversation with the guy who seems to be the main guy and asked if he'd teach me some turkish. He said sure, and rattled off something in turkish. I repeated it and asked what it meant, and he said "that means 'go **** yourself". I walked out on the spot. That was almost two years ago and i've not been back since.

Better off ,maybe they were trying to do you a favor," 2-3 times a week and after the pub,being in there eight times a week".They probably wanted to save you from having a heart attack.

padi89 wrote:
    Better off ,maybe they were trying to do you a favor," 2-3 times a week and after the pub,being in there eight times a week".They probably wanted to save you from having a heart attack.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Charcoal Grill is muck:eek: , Kebab House is the business:D , large curry cheese chip with garlic on top and half pound cheese burger with everything bar tomato, sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Been going to the Happy Turk of late.

It's the novelty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

SyxPak wrote:
    Been going to the Happy Turk of late.

It's the novelty.

Wheres that?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Saucy Sultan, surely? On Abbeygate St, just across from Hades.

I've been there just the once and had a wholly satisfactory mixed doner that tasted good despite being sober.

Yeah went there once myself. Wasn't half bad at all.

Steyr wrote:
    Charcoal Grill is muck:eek: , Kebab House is the business:D , large curry cheese chip with garlic on top and half pound cheese burger with everything bar tomato, sorted.
    They're all dead sound in Kebab House aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Steyr wrote:
    large curry cheese chip with garlic on top

All the various combinations and permutations of chip toppings is a wonderful thing and truly a sign of our advancement in civilisation.

Chips
    Curry chip
    Cheese chip
    Garlic Chip
    Garlic chip'n'cheese
    Garlic'n'cheese chip
    Curry cheese chip
    Chili cheese chip
    Garlic curry chili cheese chip
    Large garlic curry chili cheese chip

and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

brinepacer wrote:
    They're all dead sound in Kebab House aswell.

The sound people have gone. That girl in there is a total cnut. The foreign lad's are sound enough but not dead sound tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

cornbb wrote:
    All the various combinations and permutations of chip toppings is a wonderful thing and truly a sign of our advancement in civilisation.
    I seem to remember vaguely they do wonderful things with stuffing and gravy on fries up the north, its been a while though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Chicken fillet burger at the charcoal- so lovely! They marinate the chicken fillet then stick it on the grill, and serve it in the bun with loads of fresh salad- yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I can't wait for the 'Ive eaten too much takeaway, now i'm a fat bastard. What will I do?' Galway thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Yeah, staff in Charcoal can be a bit unfriendly at times. Nice nosh though!

Advertisement