Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the City limits?

Options
  • 06-08-2007 9:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, just wondering what constitutes the limits of dublin city these days?
    dublins got so big now, I suspect the edge of the city is now in parts of meath, kildare and wicklow!

Is there an official city limit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

There's the boundary of the Dublin City Council area. This only covers the central part of Dublin.

Or the boundary of the 4 local authorities (DCC, Fingal, SDCC & DLRCC)

They're the only "official" limits I'm aware of. I don't know if "The Greater Dublin Area" has an official boundary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Boundaries are crap in measuring what is city and whats not, just ask any Corkconian or anyone from Limerick :)

Well for starters, once you hit the countryside after leaving a built up suburb, you'll know that you have just left the city limits :)

Parts that have been swallowed up would be that small part called Clonee in Meath(Dunboyne is next on list :D), Leixlip in Kildare(Celbridge next :D) and obviously Bray in Wickla (Greystones is next!).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nyc-dublin

The city proper is contained within the postal codes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

BendiBus wrote:
    There's the boundary of the Dublin City Council area. This only covers the central part of Dublin.

Or the boundary of the 4 local authorities (DCC, Fingal, SDCC & DLRCC)

They're the only "official" limits I'm aware of. I don't know if "The Greater Dublin Area" has an official boundary.
    I disagree and would not be influenced by CC's official limits......

the city limits are getting further and furhter and tbh I reckon it's best to make your own mind up and consider where new houses are being built etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

nyc-dublin wrote:
    The city proper is contained within the postal codes

That would rule out Lucan and Blackrock as they are County Dublin addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the CSO have a defined area that they consider to be "Dublin" for the purpose of calculating the population - this includes areas like Tallaght, Dunlaoghaire, Blanch but not (afaik) the larger northside towns like Swords, Malahide, Balgriggan etc. You can check the recent census results on their website to see which areas are included.

Similarly for Cork and Limerick they include many suburbs outside the city council areas for the calculation of the city population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

joolsveer wrote:
    That would rule out Lucan and Blackrock as they are County Dublin addresses.

Ditto Rathcoole, Newcastle, Saggart, Dalkey, Dun Laoighire etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

But surely the fact that they're Co. Dublin means that they're not part of Dublin (city)

I would agree that the city limits are the same as the postal codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

See attached map for the extent of the city.

Foxrock is Dublin 18 and nowhere near the city, likewise Blanchardstown is Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is also the Dublin Metropolitan Area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Metropolitan_Area

I like this one, probably because of the sound of the word 'metropolitan'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Victor wrote:

Foxrock is Dublin 18 and nowhere near the city, likewise Blanchardstown is Dublin 15.

Yes, but the fact that they've got postal codes means (to me) that they're part of the city, regardless of proximity (and many cities are spread out anyway) If they weren't part of Dublin City, their addresses would be Foxrock, Co. Dublin and Blanchardstown, Co. Dublin.

They might be in the DMA but they are not within the borders of the County of the City of Dublin.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Victor wrote:

where does that map come from victor? doesn't look right at all to me as a city boundary map.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Victor wrote:

That is an odd map - what do the colours represent? Theres a lot of divisions there so they're hardly separate constituencies are they?

Those are electoral divisions within the County of the City of Dublin. (Usually about 3000 - 15000 people and around 10-40 streets.)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

copacetic wrote:
    where does that map come from victor? doesn't look right at all to me as a city boundary map.
    Its a map I made myself from official maps.

Similar map here of the whole county, county/city coundaries in red. http://www.cso.ie/census/prelim_results_Dub_jpg.htm

Advertisement