Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

save the hill of tara

Options
  • 06-08-2007 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

http://www.tarawatch.org/

hi, i'm not usually on this board i know, so i apologise if this is a bit rude of me but

the hill of tara is being destroyed at 5am tomorrow morning irish time.
    petition on this website.

today is a bank holiday in ireland, this is why they are doing so tomorrow morning.
    the eu have even urged a halt to the construction. (see webpage)
    thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

where did you hear about this??:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The motorway is further away from the Hill of Tara than the current Dublin road, so it actually goes nowhere near it.

The recently discovered ruins in Lismullen have already been removed completely, as of about two weeks ago.

In fact, this thread is nearly older than both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 salvador

Jessibelle wrote:
    where did you hear about this??:eek:

my auntie texted me monday evening. i live about half an hour away but had never been before so i went and had a look around monday evening, found out about the website off the group there and came back and posted about it in some different spots, mainly just so people who were interested could do something, so they had a choice to do something if they wanted to.

Silverfish wrote:
    The motorway is further away from the Hill of Tara than the current Dublin road, so it actually goes nowhere near it.

The recently discovered ruins in Lismullen have already been removed completely, as of about two weeks ago.

In fact, this thread is nearly older than both.

is it? i had no idea.

EDIT: that was a wee bit too sarastic of me, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭emaherx

salvador wrote:

the hill of tara is being destroyed at 5am tomorrow morning irish time.
    petition on this website.

thank you.

I was at the Hill of Tara on Sunday. And its still there! :eek:
    Even more suprising I walked to every corner of the site to see if I could get a view of the motorway under cunstruction and I couldn't!!!

At this stage the entire route of the motorway has been cleared.
    So save Tara from what? :confused:

Maybe save Tara from the filthy Hippies who are camped at Tara. :D

• Advertisement

"The Tara ceremonial/ritual complex is not confined to the Hill of Tara but extends to several square kilometers of the surrounding landscape." ;)

...just to respond...there is loads of information on the link, could make things clearer. Just because the area hasn't been researched properly doesn't mean it isn't worth doing so...i know little of the Newgrange complex but wasn't all of that (even the big three, mounds) discovered over time, often bits of it by accident, years ago...

Also, looking to the future, wasn't it on the news (or maybe it was in the paper) that the next Dublin ring road is coming along side this next, from north to south, Tara is site of interchange or something or other. :confused:
    We'll have the next big Liffey Valley sitting on it instead. :D

Haha, I'm no hippie. :D I've chosen "life paths" which are leading me down sidestreets very are different to those with which a hippie would morally agree with. Ask the hippies. I got pissy "hippies" for relatives, incredibly self-righteous but rather contradictory in their own lifestyle choices (I don't mention this to them...can of worms how are you!). To be consistent in your moral position is difficult...

Fair enough,
    Just to be clear I wasn't calling you a Hippie But I do think the people camped on the hill of Tara are wasters and are doing more harm than good (where do they go to the loo for instance).

But the site at Lismullen would never have been foud only for the Motorway and It would only be washed away by the rain if it was left untouched).

You original post Said " the Hill of Tara is being Destroyed" This is completely untrue the hill of Tara is not being touched. It is how ever sourounded by sites of lesser significants as is any other possible route for a motorway through the county of meath.

emaherx wrote:

But the site at Lismullen would never have been foud only for the Motorway and It would only be washed away by the rain if it was left untouched).

thats what i mean though, just because this is how it was discovered doesn't mean they should go over it...it is pretty important just to dismiss it (which is in comparison to other sites) and just because meath has lots of these sites is no reason to say, ah, thats enough, we'll go over the rest lads...

emaherx wrote:
    You original post Said " the Hill of Tara is being Destroyed" This is completely untrue the hill of Tara is not being touched.

:o granted, i exaggerated (thought i had at the time :o ), it isn't going directly over it, the site is huge (^^ stole a quote) though...
    emaherx wrote:
    It is how ever sourounded by sites of lesser significants as is any other possible route for a motorway through the county of meath.

i think they could have gone over the original road, there were a few routes which were further away... on another interesting tid-bit, the route they have chosen doesn't even complement the existing (and very unused, i know) railway lines, wouldn't it have made a lot of sense to open these lines as well (as well as improving roads) but this route cuts old rail lines and bridges and what not...sort of shooting themselves in the foot. [/QUOTE]

seriously i'm totally not qualified though. ;)

hey, when i went there though, i could see the works coming from the dublin side and heading off to the north...:confused:...only bit left to do was the "around the hill" bit...if they hadn't turned it would have gone straight through...hm...i wonder what the originaly plans were...:eek:
    maybe it is well hidden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

The road being further away argument always amazes me. How can a narrow, 2 lane country lane, which is almost completely intergrated into the landscape be compared with something ten times it witdth, and covered in huge floodlights?

Factor in the large tracts of land either side of this new motorway that will now be rezoned as commercial and we can begin to see the problem

Still, you might not see the Motorway from Tara, but that's only becuase there'll be a B&Q and Harvey Normans in the way.

Punchbowl wrote:
    The road being further away argument always amazes me. How can a narrow, 2 lane country lane, which is almost completely intergrated into the landscape be compared with something ten times it witdth, and covered in huge floodlights?

Factor in the large tracts of land either side of this new motorway that will now be rezoned as commercial and we can begin to see the problem

Still, you might not see the Motorway from Tara, but that's only becuase there'll be a B&Q and Harvey Normans in the way.

The N3 is hardly a country lane it is a major road with hard shoulders. And is already one of the busiest roads in the country.

The land is already cleared and is still not visible from Tara. granted flood lights will be visible at night, then again you can see the lights of Navan and Trim and all of the villages dotted about the place . Although that tiny country lane the N3 is very visible as is the traffic on it.

As for land rezoned commercial, I drove down the M1 from Drogheada to Dundalk and the entire length of it is just Harvey Norman and B&Q.
    Sure Navan will become more developed as will the other towns along the motorway that dose not mean Tara will

salvadorl wrote:

i think they could have gone over the original road, there were a few routes which were further away... on another interesting tid-bit, the route they have chosen doesn't even complement the existing (and very unused, i know) railway lines, wouldn't it have made a lot of sense to open these lines as well (as well as improving roads) but this route cuts old rail lines and bridges and what not...sort of shooting themselves in the foot.

Now you want to move the motorway closer to Tara. Both the existing road and the railway are much closer.

There are no rails or usable bridges left between Navan and Dublin. The stations on the route have been converted into Homes and even a Hotel. The land is now owned by local farmers. Reopening the existing rail is just as big a job as building a completely new one. Even the foundations of the track wouldn't be good enough for modern train speeds, and there is only foundations there for a single line.

There are plans for a new railway line. the only thing I can't understand is why it isint built at the same time along the route of the M3
    salvadorl wrote:
    granted, i exaggerated

Just a little, :rolleyes: Nobody will take any one seriously, who exaggerates something like this so much.

• Advertisement

salvador wrote:
    thats what i mean though, just because this is how it was discovered doesn't mean they should go over it...it is pretty important just to dismiss it (which is in comparison to other sites) and just because meath has lots of these sites is no reason to say, ah, thats enough, we'll go over the rest lads...

Its not like that! the Fact is the site at Lismullen would have been washed away by the rain.
    Why is it so important.
    It was a wood henge, Problem with wood is it rots away.
    It wouldn't be visible once grass grows back.
    This would be the least impressive site in the world.

What used to be there may have been impressive, but there was no way to preserve it for people to enjoy.

I can just picture a big bend in the motorway going around a field full of sheep and every body would have forgotten what was there because it would just be a flat green field of no interest.

Its the bad condition of the henge that makes all of this so silly.
    all that was there is a ring of circles in the clay where the circles were slightly darker then the rest of the clay.

Its fantastic that they found it and were able to document it, but it was too far gone to do any thing else with.

sorry about the rant :p

Advertisement