Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with the speedometer & window wipers...

Options
  • 06-08-2007 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

So I finally collected my Clio (1999 1.2 RN) last week. However, I was going home at the weekend and shortly outside Dublin the speedometer needle dropped and stopped working. Then I stopped in Cavan for petrol, and lone behold it started working again.

When I was nearing home it stopped working again. This carried on all weekend. As well as that, I noticed that the miles were not being clocked up when the speedometer wasnt working. Then on Sunday, I was on the road when a light appeared on the dash. According to the manual if the light appears whilst driving, a trip to the garage is needed. However the light went off after a minute and hasnt appeared since.

Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong? :confused:

As well as that!!! the spray for the window wipers isnt wqrking. Its making noise but the water is not coming out. The pipes to the tank seem ok and not blocked, so does the nozzles on the bonnet. I'm confused :confused:

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

Similar issue with speedo in our 00 scenic, got it repaired under warranty faulty sensor, according to the mechanic it is a common problem and easy enough to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

That sounds promising. Had I have known this was a problem I would have got the seller to fix it first. Its annoying me big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭iblis

Generally with an electronically driven speedo there is a speed sensor on the top of the gearbox which sends electronic pulses to the instrument cluster. The speedo head uses this to determine your speed and mileage.

If there is a fault with the sensor or the wiring/connections this will happen. If it's not under warranty and you are handy with tools, see if you can find any loose electrical connections around the gearbox, or behind the instrument cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

My son also has a 99 Clio and had the same problem with the speedo, turned out it was just a loose connection. The garage fixed it for free in 5 mins.

Thanks. Can anyone help me with the "other" small matter? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

stepbar wrote:

As well as that!!! the spray for the window wipers isnt wqrking. Its making noise but the water is not coming out. The pipes to the tank seem ok and not blocked, so does the nozzles on the bonnet. I'm confused :confused:

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Stephen

Pull off the pipe to the washer jets. See if you get water pumping. The most likely cause is blocked jets - you may not be able to see the blockage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

stepbar wrote:
    ...a light appeared on the dash. According to the manual if the light appears whilst driving, a trip to the garage is needed. However the light went off after a minute and hasnt appeared since.
    Maybe an oil pressure warning light? Check your oil level anyway.

Try cleaning the washer nozzles with a small sewing needle.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

i would suspect a faulty speedo pickup sensor, what colour is the light that came on?if its orange it could be the engine management light because of the faulty sensor

I only have the car a wet week and its causing me more problems. I came home on Saturday (left the car at home all week). Went to start the car. Battery dead. Fair enough. Hadn't been started in a week but anyhow. Got the jump leads out and got it started ok. Left it running for a while and drove it up the road. It started ok this morning and I drove in and out of town without any problems.

However, I was driving this evening. As I was driving, the engine would just stop powering for a second (I wasn't able to accelerate) and then back to normal. It's as if it was coughing without the noice :). Also, during all this, the radio was powering off and then back on, concurrently with the engine. As I was getting closer to home the problem was getting worse. In fact I thought I'd have had to leave it along the side of the road. But I managed to get it home, slowly :mad: .

Anybody have any ideas before I go to the garage? (its going to have to go anyhow). Could it be because of the flat battery? It's wrecking my head TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Loose/corroded connection at the battery?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I had a similar problem with my 00 clio (the power issue) The car sometimes wouldnt start, alarm (aftermarket) acted up etc. Turned out the connection on the battery was loose. I think whichever gimp of a mechanic my mother had look at it (her car now) damaged the nut or the connector cos it wont tighten more than it is now but is still a bit loose. every so often the problem arises a bit an I have to just push the lead to the side.

On my safrane there is two screw on caps to connect the leads to the battery, these just need to be hand tightend oif you have any cause to disconnect the battery and are secure. the clio has 1 and 1 standard connection, dont no why they dont use 2 on the clio, much better connection.

Do you know how long it was sitting before you bought it? battery could also be arsed from a lot of jumps?

Advertisement