Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leg warmers or leggings, and overshoes

Options
  • 06-08-2007 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Looking to get some stuff for when it gets cold. I mainly commute to work but looking to do some longer stuff. Don't like wearing rain gear, would rather get (reasonably!) wet but stay warm if possible - unless serious money is spent on rain wear i find you get sweat-wet anyway.
    So was looking to get a pair of tights/leggings, or leg warmers. Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of these choices? I usually wear a pair of lycra shorts and a pair of altura baggy cycling shorts over the top, would also wear the baggys over whatever I get for the winter anyway.
    Also, can anyone suggest some reasonably priced overshoes which fit spd clips. Cycle Superstore seem to be low on stock at the moment.
    Cheers
    Kenmc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

This is a bit depressing. Yesterday I noticed that it's nearly dark at 9pm, now here we are talking about leggings and overshoes. Winter is nearly here already :(.

Leg warmers aren't as warm as leggings. Their main advantage is that in variable conditions you can easily take them off or put them on depending on how warm/cold you're feeling. In late Autumn/Winter though, when you know it'll be cold you're better off with decent leggings. Ones with windproof panels are particularly cosy.

Pretty much all cycling overshoes will work with spd cleats. Here's a selection for you:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=448
    I have the Endura MT500 which I find pretty good. If you use overshoes off road you'll barely get one season out of them but they should last longer for road riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Morgan wrote:
    Ones with windproof panels are particularly cosy.
    I recently bought some wind proof arm warmers. The wind-proof part makes it considerably warmer and provides some rain protection.
    I have running tights for autumn/winter time. No wind-proof panels unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

I got some polarfleece leggins, just wear them over your cycling shorts. Also got some shoe covers, but in this climate, I would recommend the booties, which come up higher. Make sure they lots of reflective gear on them too.

Now I just need a bike :( Mine is still at home

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

daymobrew wrote:
    I recently bought some wind proof arm warmers. The wind-proof part makes it considerably warmer and provides some rain protection.

I looked at them in Cycleways yesterday. They look good, but my arm is too skinny for the large/medium and too long for the small!

Advertisement