Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album Of The Week #1 - Megadeth - Rust In Peace

• 07-08-2007 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Good start, I have to say, and a classic album.

This is the album that introduced me to probably one of my biggest influences as a guitarist; Marty Friedman, so it's a bit special in that sense.

Discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The first Megadeth album I got, and none of their other stuff gives me half the buzz this album does. There's none of the scope or the musicianship, definitely a peak in their career methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Never listened to any Megadeath stuff but will give this album a listen. I guess this is what Album of the week is all about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Back in my youth I used to pour over Metal Hammer. One issue, Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss and Megadeth's Rust in Piece were both reviewed.

Both could have been joint album of the month, but some sly little prick gave Megadeth 2 out of 5.

So the next week I went out and bought the album - listened to it, and it actually influenced me to write into Metal Hammer, and give the reviewer a bollocking - never got printed, but damn it felt good.

I also remember being in my room and headbanging non stop to the entire album - jesus I was dizzy as hell after, but twas all great fun...class album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

great album, but I feel Peace Sells is slightly better

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Can't say it was the first Megadeth album I got, the first one was Peace Sells, but I knew from videos and clips being played that Rust in Peace was always going to be one of my favourites.

Songs like Holy Wars, Hangar 18 are absolute metal classics in every sense of the word. Hangar 18 in particular really is one of my favourites. I mean 13 solo's in just over five minutes, how can you go wrong?! It is unlike any song that I've heard before and is to this day, still very unique.

Take No Prisoners, Five Magics and Tornado of Souls are absolutely monsterous songs that would grace any metal album and the fact that they play a smaller role compared to the aformentioned Holy Wars and Hangar 18, should tell you that this album is one of the must have, classic metal albums. If you don't have it, you are missing out big style!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

The first and only Megadeth album I ever bought. Holy wars is one of my all-time favorite songs, great lyrics, great riffs, and you have to love that out of nowhere acoustic bit :)

I still have no idea why I never bought anymore of their albums :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Incredible Record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Tornado of Souls is an amazing song and still to this day one of the best songs I have EVER heard live. Heard them a month or so agao, amazing. This album is still one of the classics of ALL metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Class record. So Far So Good was the starting point for me
    I remember bringing Holy Wars into religion class. ( Teacher wanted songs which had soemthing to do with religion) Jaysus it was deadly seeing the faces of them all in class that day.

Tornado Of Souls is the stand out track tho. Blow me away.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Haha!

I was reading that ye were gonna do a Metal Album of the Week.
    And the first one ever is my favourite album of all time! Excellent choice! I'm a big Megadeth fan and I think this was their best album ever.

I remember when I was thirteen, I couldn't wait for this album to come out. When it did I was straight in to buy the tape! And I listened to it so much I wore that tape out and had to go and buy another!

Even though I've listened to it so much I would never get sick of it. I always stick it on every MP3 compilation I make for the car.

:D

• Advertisement

Nea wrote:
    I remember bringing Holy Wars into religion class. ( Teacher wanted songs which had soemthing to do with religion) Jaysus it was deadly seeing the faces of them all in class that day.

wow that is weird, same happened in our school - religion or some waste of time wanted us to bring in music. Was very funny going from dance/techno to Megadeth and I also believe someone brought in Obituary too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

ok here comes controversial charlie's viewpoint:D

Rust in Peace is a good album but not as good as Peace Sells or So Far so good.. IMO.
    A nice clean sounding record that never had the growl or menace of earlier Megadeth, maybe overproduced.
    Holy Wars and Hangar 18 are fantastic but the rest of the album fails to reach these early heights.
    Still, it was Megadeth's final significant release, everything afterwards was mediocre.
    3/5 is my score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Nea wrote:

Tornado Of Souls is an excellent track, love the solo. That, Holy Wars and Take No Prisoners are the stand outs for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

great album. if memory serves me correct, the song 'holy wars' is about the troubles in the north of ireland. However the music video is of the troubles in the gaza strip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Cool album. My favourite from Megadeth. Just a suggestion - how about posting a music video from youtube (maybe live recording, maybe not) of one song from each album of the month. Then again,anyone can just search youtube so its not really necessary but might be cool.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hanger 18 and Take No prisoners

'nuff said

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I found out today that Holy Wars was influenced by the Northern Irish conflict and that Mustaine didn't stop 'RA heads from selling bootleg Megadeth tshirts as the money was going towards "the cause".....

Great album, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I found out today that Holy Wars was influenced by the Northern Irish conflict and that Mustaine didn't stop 'RA heads from selling bootleg Megadeth tshirts as the money was going towards "the cause".....

Great album, anyway.

As far as I know they were playing Antrim and before they played Anarchy Dave and his big size eleven's announces" This one's for the cause" causing ructions of the highest order. He later researched his comment and wrote Holy Wars. When it was released the video was banned cos of the Gulf War

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

You're both on the right lines. It was actually one of the loyalist paramilitaries that were selling t-shirts, bootlegs, and flags down the back of the venue. Mustaine shouted out this ones for the cause and proceeded to play Anarchy. Riots ensued and Mustaine & Co had to be ushered out of NI in an armoured van. :D

Wasn't aware that Holy Wars was written because of that, but I'm sure it had a bit of an influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Very good album, I'm not a huge fan of Megadeth but this I like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

Good album but a classic??.
    IMO There is only really 3 outstanding tracks,holy wars,Hangar 18 & tornado of souls,the rest is good to avearage.
    Peace sells & so far.. are classics. Peace sells is one of the best metal albums of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Cant belive no-one mentioned the title trak yet, def my favourite.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I never got into Megadeth at all. Saw them in France a few years ago and I just couldn't get past the drummer having a fan behind him to blow his hair upwards... :rolleyes: Not a popular opinion amongst metallers, but what are ya gonna do? :)

Kharn wrote:
    I never got into Megadeth at all. Saw them in France a few years ago and I just couldn't get past the drummer having a fan behind him to blow his hair upwards... :rolleyes: Not a popular opinion amongst metallers, but what are ya gonna do? :)

reminds me of the Simpsons/Spinal Tap

"Medium setting"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

For the Megadeth experts out there, I have a remastered version of Rust in Peace. Is there much of a difference between this and the original 1990 edition?

Advertisement