Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunny South East

Options
  • 07-08-2007 7:40am

Following on from a thread in feedback, where exactly is the South East?

I had always seen it as Wexford, then grudgingly accepted Waterford as well! However now people in Wicklow are also trying to cash in!

Also, I have seen signs as far away as Tip saying 'Welcome to the Sunny South East'!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Following on from a thread in feedback, where exactly is the South East?

I had always seen it as Wexford, then grudgingly accepted Waterford as well! However now people in Wicklow are also trying to cash in!

Cheek of ya! Where would you consider Waterford or Kilkenny to be, if not the South-East??!!

One county does not a region make!

In government terms, the South-East Regional Authority comprises Carlow, Kilkenny, South Tipperary, Waterford City, Waterford County, and Wexford, so I guess that's the official South-East:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South-East_Regional_Authority

In government terms; yes

However, I've always noticed a pretty strong divide among people over this.

Sunny South East seems almost exclusivley reserved for Wex/Waterford..
    Kilkenny / Carlow would not spring to mind when its mentioned..

Or is this just me??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

kilkenny does receive the highest temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sunny South East seems almost exclusivley reserved for Wex/Waterford..
    Kilkenny / Carlow would not spring to mind when its mentioned..

Or is this just me??

Well Waterford and Wexford are the only two counties in the (official) SE region with a coastline. Maybe that's what contributes to your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

South Tipp, Kilkenny and Carlow are deffo warmer than either Wexford or Wateford for the obvious reason. But east Waterford and Wexford proberly are sunnier overall as the mountains further west act as a shield against the showers. I drive for a living so get to watch the weather across the whole region in a day. Even during this crappy season the air is noticably more humid
    as you get more than about 15 miles from the coast, Kilkenny is just manky on a hot day. Meanwhile as the cloud bubbles up inland its much more thinned out along the coastal zone.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement