Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re heating options

Options
  • 07-08-2007 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Renovating an old red brick house (2 up, 2 down) and wondering what type of heating to install. I have 3 options as I see it - electric, gas fired, and UFH.

1. Which option is best considering costs to install?
    2. Which option is best considering running costs? For example, perhaps have just electric heating and therefore no need for a gas bill at all...

Also, I was told I can't combine floorboards and UFH. Is this correct? Any advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance to all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If I was looking at a decent install now ,I'd go for solar heating for the water.
    Gas heating around the house by a Condensing boiler.

Go for a dual coil cylinder so your gas will heat the cylinder aswell.

Also look into ,an intellighent external thermostat ,that kicks the heating on when the temperature starts to drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Don Pedro

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

U can combine wooden floors and UFH, talk to your UFH installer for advice as some woods are more suitable than others

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I echo brians advice, plus insulate the outer walls and attic.
    I'm doing the same job with my mid terrace house, plus moving the bathroom upstairs.
    Looking forward to a winter in a well insulated house with central heating and double glazing. Not a repeat of last year.
    A good idea is to split your heating into 2 zones, upstairs and downstairs, and have them timed seperately.
    Stay away from electric heating, at all costs.

Advertisement