Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying new housemate

Options
  • 07-08-2007 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi there,

i share a house with 2 other lads, one of them just moved in a month ago, seemed like a nice lad, but not any more. He is a bodybuilder, he doesn't drink or smoke and its fine, but he constantly tells us that its bad for you every time i would light one up otside:(
    Everytime my friends come over for a few glasses of wine and a chat, he would pass by and say its disgusting to look at woman drinking and people in general who are drinking are so sad to look at!!!, so my friends don't want to come to my house anymore:(
    Plus he is obsessive with cleaning i can't even leave my glasses on a kitchen table without him running after me and hadling over!!!!!
    I'm so sick of it, but i'm not sure what can i do about him, my other mate is not happy about him either.
    Can i just call our agents who we rent our house from and talk to them about this?
    I'm going crazy with him...
    Any advise, please...
    Tnks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Best thing you could do, is talk to him nicely and let him know in as non-confrontation manner as possible that he is out of line and should chill out. He will either get pissed off with you and leave, change/tone down his behaviour, or stay there and become more beligerent! Hopefully it'll be result 2, but you don't much to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭marinchik

Hi Patrickolee,

I tried talking to him, but useless. He just saying that he is just the way he is and i have to accept that and if there something i don't like i can find another place!!!
    I would, but i lived in this house for couple years now and its nice and i like it here i don't want to move out....

Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

throw loads of parties and smoke everywhere in the house, he might get the message after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

marinchik wrote:
    Hi Patrickolee,

I tried talking to him, but useless. He just saying that he is just the way he is and i have to accept that and if there something i don't like i can find another place!!!
    I would, but i lived in this house for couple years now and its nice and i like it here i don't want to move out....

Regards,
    **** that,
    hes the new guy, hes plays by your rules.
    tell him where to stick it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Glue his bedroom window shut. That way, when you walk by his room and (purely by coincidence) exhale while facing his open door to say "greetings friend!" he'll be driven out by all that lovely dirty smoke ;)

Alternavely, try that suggestion above. It's more social :D

• Advertisement

Nice advises :D:D:D
    I think i might actually try the party thing, i mean he can be rude to me so why should i be nice to him;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Who is the leaseholder? What is the setup concerning the rent etc? Did you interview him/somebody interview him before renting to him?

Remember also you could do a lot worse than having a clean freak who doesn't drink or smoke. That would be a lot of peoples ideal tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 moloneyg

laxatives in the milk, and see how long he stays :-)

Its the simple things that give you the most fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP, talk to him adult to adult and explain that his comments and behaviour are excessive.
    moloneyg wrote:
    laxatives in the milk, and see how long he stays :-)
    Any further such suggestions will result in bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Victor wrote:
    OP, talk to him adult to adult and explain that his comments and behaviour are excessive.
    That doesn't seem to work...
    marinchik wrote:
    The only thing that I can suggest is to tell him to "f**k off" everytime you think he's going to say something to you. After a while he'll stop talking to you. Sad, but there doesn't seem anything else to do.

Has anyone here ever had a extremely religous person live with them? And how did you get on with them? I ask, as the dude sounds like one, except his religon is body building.

• Advertisement

I'l try to talk to him again, but he is very into his sport, he is a good person just very different from me. He doesn't watch tv, reads with candles sometimes he would hang his clothes outside without washing just under the rain and all this just because he tries to save some money on electricity bills, when the bill comes in we would always split it in 3, but now he is saying that he doesn't waste as much so he should pay less and i do agree....
    It just all this is so weird to me...
    He lives like a cave man... Due his recent injury he can't work now and he is on welfare payments and i undersand he tries to save but not like that!!!!

And lately i try not to talk to him at all, because all we talk about is that we need clean there and here (house is perfectly clean) or lets get rid off these or that, cos its takes up too much space; or lets move furniture here or there, he just moved in and already tries get everyone to do only his way...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

marinchik wrote:
    He doesn't watch tv, reads with candles sometimes he would hang his clothes outside without washing just under the rain and all this just because he tries to save some money on electricity bills, ...

Oh-oh, you need to be careful how you thread here, this person seems to have some.....difficulties. Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he sounds like a total jerk. Whatever his ideas are, you can't just move into a house where others have been living for a long time and start telling them how they should live - that's just obnoxious.

as for the electricity thing - I can't see any other reasonable way of splitting an electricity bill. Unless you each have your own personal electricity meter then you have to do it evenly. if he really wants to live like a caveman then remove the fuses from the plugs in his room and ban him from using any appliances (he's still be getting free use of your lightbulbs though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

send him to my house! i love people that keep the house clean, i love a clean kitchen, i love a house that doesnt smell like an ashtray - - and i fancy bodybuilders!:D

Hi Talkingclock,

i wish i could.

Its not like we don't clean, we would always do general cleaning on weekends and just keep it tidy during the week, as assume everyone does.
    he wants us to change lightbulbs from 100 to 60, like how much can we safe from that, €2.00?
    I come home from work and would leave my jacket on a couch downstairs and go outside for a cigarette and he will be on to me the next second asking if i can bring it upstairs to my bedroom now.
    since he moved in i never heard him talking to friend or inviting them over or something so i presume he doesn't have many:rolleyes:
    I don't mind him living and minding his own business, but he constantly breathes down my neck...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

You're right - it sounds strange.

Especially if he is the new guy in the house and if he is trying to make the rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Who decided he should move in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

marinchik wrote:
    He doesn't watch tv, reads with candles sometimes he would hang his clothes outside without washing just under the rain and all this just because he tries to save some money on electricity bills, when the bill comes in we would always split it in 3, but now he is saying that he doesn't waste as much so he should pay less and i do agree....

For the electricity how about using his own words back at him

"That is just the way it is and he'll have to accept that and if there something he doesn't like he can find another place!!!"

I'm sure there's some agreement entered before he entered the house on how the bills are paid. Let him stick to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

sometimes he would hang his clothes outside without washing just under the rain and all this just because he tries to save some money on electricity bills, when the bill comes in we would always split it in 3, but now he is saying that he doesn't waste as much so he should pay less and i do agree....

I used to have a roommate like that. She would always nag me about using the washing machine and tumblre dryer, kept saying that all the clothes needed were a quick rinse and hang them out on the line.

She was a total f***ing miser, even though she was a nurse and was pretty loaded!

Best thing is to tell him to f*** off if he doesn't like paying his share of the bills then he can move out. He knew from the start that the bills were split 3 ways. If he doesn't like the idea of paying for electricity, heating, bins etc. then he should go pitch a tent somewhere.

Can you talk to the landlord and see about getting rid of him? You are there much longer and landlord's love nothing more than have a quiet, self-running house. If you explain to him that this guy is just gonna be making trouble then he might be willing to get rid of him

Both me and my other housemate decided that he is alright and let him to move in, which he was at a time we interviewed him:(
    Everytime time i say to him if he doesn't like something he can go and find other place, he would say: ah no everything is fine it just this and that but i don't mind... i just don't get him..
    i'm affraid when colder times will come and we will need heating oil which cost us a good bit for winter, he probably will be constantly turning it off trying to save...
    I want to talk to landlord, but he is away till next week:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

marinchik wrote:
    I want to talk to landlord, but he is away till next week:(

Why bother talking to the landlord? The rest of ye should just tell this guy it isn't working out and he has a month to move out.
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

jd wrote:
    Why bother talking to the landlord? The rest of ye should just tell this guy it isn't working out and he has a month to move out.
    jd
    Exactly. There were two of you who were there before this guy moved in so sit him down and tell him that it's just not working out. Then give him a month to get his act together and move out. It was your place first and while people who move in do get a say in how things are done he is being rude and that's just not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Yo,

As a long enough time lead tenant in houses i've lived in.

F**K that ****.

Just with reguard to the light bulbs. Tell him he can go out and buy the energy saver bulbs if hes that concerned.(Side note you really do save a fortune with them so i would recommen them anyway... ;) )

Anyway i wouldnt even entertain someone like that. People are going to be people and stuff is going to going to be left like a jacket and stuff.

Maybe i missed it but has he signed a lease?

I woudl quite simply say that look its not working out and you and the other chap would like him to leave peacfully. If not then you go to the landlord asap.

Dont sit on it or take your time about it. As soon as the landlord is back you call him.

Some small issues with new people is always going to be the way. They need to be raised and tackled asap but from the sounds of it you are much better of shot of this guy....

(He reads with candles? Thats going to screw up his vision long term...)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A few things:

Split the bills 3 ways. If he doesn't like it, f*ck off.

He lives off welfare checks? And he pays rent with these? Check your lease. A few which I've signed state no welfare checks.

He also sounds like someone who doesn't shower. Does he wash his hands? How about how he cleans the dishes when he's done with them? Finally, check with your other housemate, and see did any food go missing. If he's a serious bodybuilder, he must eat alot to keep his strength up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

the_syco wrote:
    Finally, check with your other housemate, and see did any food go missing. If he's a serious bodybuilder, he must eat alot to keep his strength up.

Good point, have a look in the fitness forum, the serious guys are spending about 100€ on food a week, no way is it possible to pay rent and eat whilst being a meathead in the gym pumping iron on welfare.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I think you should come straight out and ask him to leave. Also, if you and your housemate don't have locks on your rooms, get some fitted first and keep an eye on anything valuable to you. You never know what he might do before he leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

take a picture of him, and post it here, i'd like to see what he looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

l3rian wrote:
    take a picture of him, and post it here, i'd like to see what he looks like
    That is right out of order.

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So he doesn't leave cigarette ash or cans around the place, is always clean and is careful with the ESB.
    Sounds like the perfect housemate to me.

Commenting on your friends is out of order though so maybe have a sitdown chat and get it out in the open.
    Careful what you say though, as a bodybuilder he might whoop your ass:p

• Advertisement

Hi micmclo,

There is a lot of people out there who doesn't leave cigarette ash or cans outside beside we don't do it either, but constantly telling you what to do in a house like we should clean this or get rid off that, but like come on buddy if you want do it just do it yourself then do not tell me what to do, he is on a social welfare and doesn't work so he has plenty time during the day.

I'm not telling he is bad, it just he is very different from us....

Oh and ye if he will whoop my ass when i'll be talking to him not much of a great bodybuilder he is if he hits woman!!!!! Er?

And again when i told him that its not ok with me the way he acts and i can give him deposit now and a month notice he got a bit scared and said that everything is fine and he likes here, you see not all landlords would agree to take on social welfare rent payments;)

Advertisement