Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying new housemate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

marinchik wrote:

And again when i told him that its not ok with me the way he acts and i can give him deposit now and a month notice he got a bit scared and said that everything is fine and he likes here, you see not all landlords would agree to take on social welfare rent payments;)

the point is "everything" is not fine and it is irrelevant whether he likes it here. The point is he is making you unhappy and frankly his opinion of whether he likes it or not does not come into it any more if you are asking him to move out. Do not - incidentally - give him his deposit until the day he moves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me once about a roommate of his.
    Sounds very similar so just a quick word of warning.

This particular roommate used to wash the windows with milk and a whole manner of weird things like that. I'd be very careful if I were you.

Turned out that the particular guy was actually a Skitso and when they went to the landlord about it he said, oh ye, I had a funny feeling I’d be hearing from you guys :rolleyes: The landlord took steps to move him out but it turned out the guy was happy enough where he was. Ended up calling for the men in the white coats for forcible removal and a comical chase ensued.

Anyway to the point, it might be an idea to tell the guy he has a month to move out over a meal or invite him out for an OJ in your local, just incase he suffers from the same complaint.

That way if he goes bananas there will be support around to tame the beast and your guaranteed not to get your own place wrecked if he flips the lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

First:
    Firetrap wrote:
    get some fitted first and keep an eye on anything valuable to you. You never know what he might do before he leaves.
    Second:
    Calina wrote:
    Do not - incidentally - give him his deposit until the day he moves out.
    Third:
    Then invite 3 heavy male friends over, that will support you, and have them in the next room or nearby when you tell him he has one month to get f**k out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

I wouldnt even entertain him on the ESB bill thing.
    Dont worry about oil.
    And get 2 bar heaters too for the winter for your rooms and the living room.
    Tell him its either electric heating or oil heating - his choice.
    Let him freeze on his own if he needs too.

Heres a great trick. A guy i used to live with used to do it when we had to get rid of our own freak.
    Smoke in your rooms and the bathroom. Even the living room. He wont be long moving on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Going against the grain but I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy.

He lives on welfare so maybe he is terrified of large bills arriving. I know myself what scares me more than anything would be lack of financial security.

Having lived with French people in college who left the immersion on for 6plus hours a day and then the ESB bill wiped out most of my college grant leaving me to live on Tesco beans for the next few weeks.
    So I became very unpopular and the outsider (only Irish person in the house) by trying to cut down on the immersion and encouraging less use of the dryer when we had good weather.

Housemates got NTL installed which I never watched or agreed to so never paid towards the bill. Two months worth of heating oil got used in 3 weeks so after arguments it was electric heaters all around as I didn't want or could afford the heating on 24/7. And man, I hated cigarette ash on the dinner table.

This isn't about my tale of woe OP but I can kind of relate to this bodybuilder(except I'm unfit:p ) while everyone is calling him a freak. Not saying the OP is running up massive bills and putting this guy under financial pressure but maybe he's concerned about that.
    So before throwing him out look at it from his point of view.

Commenting on your friends was uncalled for though

Incidentally, is electricity and heating oil free in France?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

micmclo wrote:
    Incidentally, is electricity and heating oil free in France?:mad:
    No, but there's this thing thats over in France thats never over here: good weather. I know a few French. On our hotest da so far, one of them would be wearing a wooley jumper, saying its cool (cool, as in cold).

Thus, when they're inside, they want to be warm, thus they have the heat full blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Just sit him down and tell him you appreciate his right to have different opinions, and accept that money is tight for him but he came to live with 2 existing tenants - majority rule - this is how things were and will stay. You'd appreciate him not making comments about smoking just like he appreciates you not blowing smoke in his face so it's a two way street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

This guy is obviously a nutjob, who the hell doesn't wash their clothes and leaves them out in the rain to clean themselves?

Give him a month's notice and tell him to get out. Has nothing to do with the landlord, you agreed to him living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 katems

Sounds like a situation I was in, it can get very messy - The landlord had to kick us all out of the house and then reinstate 3 of us (leaving the one weirdo of the lease)...worth it though, you don't realise how miserable you are living with someone like that until they are gone

Advertisement