Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Worst kind of rock

• 07-08-2007 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

On the radio now. Manic Street Preachers - what have you done to your hair?

Is that not the worst, formulaic, lazy sh1te you've heard this century?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Meh, that's why I don't listen to the radio.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Worst for me has to be bands like Blink 182 and other garbage like that. It just make you want to cause harm to them in the worst sense. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Igneous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Igneous.

fool, it's clearly metamorphic...let the debate begin!!!

on topic, manics have seriously gone downhill, but hardly suprising considering.
    my most hated of radio "rock" are bands like creed and nickleback - you know the sound, seriously are they cloned in a lab somewhere ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The worst type of rock is without doubt Christian rock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any of that crappy "compressed" guitar stuff from Blink 182, Alien Ant Farm, Green Day, etc etc. What ever happened to a carefully considered mid-tempo rocker?

Its all "Mwwwwaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I hate everything no-one understands me I'm so cynical where's my mammy?" these days.

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

gotta say I cannot stand My Chemical Romance style rock/metal/whateva the hell they're callin it, makes me wanna vomit a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Haven't heard Manic Street Preachers yet....
    but I'm sorry, this century's award for trite, formulaic hackneyed cliches goes to Nickelback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

every time i hear linkin park or my chemical romance i die inside, i could rant for hours on what rock i hate but i don't want to bore ye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Worst kind of rock is that faux-indie rock that dominates the radio these days. Also the bands that blatantly rip off other bands styles (Wolfmother and Trivium I'm looking at you)

Yes Nickleback are abysmal, as are Linkin Park's new stuff (definition of selling out).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aaaaaaahm not ooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

OctavarIan wrote:
    Worst kind of rock is that faux-indie rock that dominates the radio these days. Also the bands that blatantly rip off other bands styles (Wolfmother and Trivium I'm looking at you)

Yes Nickleback are abysmal, as are Linkin Park's new stuff (definition of selling out).

Just out of interest, who do you think Wolfmother and Trivium are ripping off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Why are there so many negative threads here all of a sudden. There was that Anti Emo one and now this . Has the music that you all listen to gone so stale that now you have to start putting down other bands/types of music??
    Its a sad state of affairs really. We should be celebrating our preferred music , not bashing that which we dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I don't listen to Trivium but Wolfmother are very similar to Led Zep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

carlowboy wrote:
    I don't listen to Trivium but Wolfmother are very similar to Led Zep.

what is wrong with being like one of, if not the best band ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Sean_K wrote:
    Christian rock
    NO!

christian metal is FAR worse!

(except the likes of underOath and as i lay dying, theyre quite good)

also! Trivium and My Chemical Romance are both excellent bands, im not sure why its ''cool'' to make fun of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

also! Trivium and My Chemical Romance are both excellent bands, im not sure why its ''cool'' to make fun of them.

do you bleat aswell? where have all the sane people gone!?

people need to listen to Down, Pantera, Slayer, Death, Dying Fetus (dont let the name fool ya), Obituary, Nile, i could go on.

the likes of trivium and my chemical pants are not pushing any boundaries, they like the comfort of nice melodies and the dichotomy of singing about cutting wrists while getting the kiddies to dance. a certain song by henry rollins and william shatner comes to mind! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

chin_grin wrote:
    the likes of trivium and my chemical pants are not pushing any boundaries, they like the comfort of nice melodies and the dichotomy of singing about cutting wrists while getting the kiddies to dance. a certain song by henry rollins and william shatner comes to mind! :P
    Yea, these bands produce formulaic and immensely marketable music, along the lines of Timbaland or Greenday. There's no musical flair or any real creativity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dudes, I give a sh1t less about what is cool to do. I most certainly am not cool by any perspective of that meaning, but damn when I hear My Chemical Romance I cringe, it actually hurts me to listen to them on the radio which is why I grab my DAP when I can and stick on some DT, Slayer, Arch Enemy, Devin Townsend, things that are more my taste to stop listening to the torcherous whinging of My Chemical Romance. Fair enough people seem to like them, I don't but I'm glad to see differing opinions in musical taste, personally the previously mentioned "formulaic" bands do nothing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Fad wrote:

Cause they suck ass. i hate this attitude of " youre only making fun of bands cuz others are " the reason i dislike them is because they are really ****.

Trivium? Good?

GO listen to metallica , iron maiden, machine head and then you will realise how much they suck. they just rip riffs directly from songs these bands wrote and pass it off as their own "work"

Trivium are a disgrace to music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

chin_grin wrote:
    do you bleat aswell? where have all the sane people gone!?

people need to listen to Down, Pantera, Slayer, Death, Dying Fetus (dont let the name fool ya), Obituary, Nile, i could go on.

I listen to all those bands except Death and Obituary, and I also listen to Trivium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I listen to all those bands except Death and Obituary, and I also listen to Trivium.

different strokes for different folks i suppose! get in to Death. very very good! (im biased of course!).

ah, i liked trivium for about a week before i realised that they were more for the kiddies who never grew up with iron maiden, manowar, metallica and slayer (to name but a few).

Any Bristish music nowadays. Please give me a pillow. All they make is fag rock which is hogging radio airplay eg coldplay, INTERPOL, etc etc snooor

GO listen to metallica , iron maiden, machine head and then you will realise how much they suck
    thing is.... i was listening to metallica and iron maiden (not machine head at that stage) well before i discovered trivium. also the point of machine head? i really like machine head their new album is really really good, somoe of their others NOT SO MUCH need i remind you of their adventures into rap metal?

not only are trivium a good band in their own right they also serve as a stepping stone into metal for younger/new to metal people

and Alanthroneus i think your a pretentious cunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Fine think what you want .... but all im saying is that in my opinion they have a large amount of songs that rip off other bands. if that makes me pretentious so be it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To anyone who has said "You/he/she/they/anyone needs to listen to X", why? It's completely irrelevant. Half the bands mentioned are in no way original or special, just ones you like, which brings me to my point: Stop bad-mouthing other people's music. Until you are asked an opinion on it, don't bother giving one. And the recommendations are ridiculous, frankly. "Trivium fans don't know what real metal is, they should listen to Dying Fetus". Again, why? It's not going to make them go "Oh my god, you're right, I've been wrong all this time, I renounce the evil ways of my own musical taste in favour of yours. Thank you for showing me the light, oh great one". Seriously, the "metaller-than-thou" thing gets really old, really fast. People will listen to what they want, you listen to what you want, play nice kiddies.

While I do agree on some levels with your post, I disagree strongly on people not being allowed to voice their opinions. Speak when spoken to, wtf like, dude seriously you are wrong if that is your belief.
    Of course if people just want to post and say X is better than Y, then really it's better that they practice their typing skills on something more productive, if you don't post something more thought out than "trivium sucks, opeth rulezzz" it's pointless typing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

anyone listen to any Christian Black Metal? seemingly it exists..
    any names for me to check out?

• Advertisement

To anyone who has said "You/he/she/they/anyone needs to listen to X", why? It's completely irrelevant. Half the bands mentioned are in no way original or special, just ones you like, which brings me to my point: Stop bad-mouthing other people's music. Until you are asked an opinion on it, don't bother giving one. And the recommendations are ridiculous, frankly. "Trivium fans don't know what real metal is, they should listen to Dying Fetus". Again, why? It's not going to make them go "Oh my god, you're right, I've been wrong all this time, I renounce the evil ways of my own musical taste in favour of yours. Thank you for showing me the light, oh great one". Seriously, the "metaller-than-thou" thing gets really old, really fast. People will listen to what they want, you listen to what you want, play nice kiddies.

i must say i agree, i dont mind an opinion being given, but when its especially strong it just bothers me, but to be honest i think its worse when people give out about the whole emo thing as in ''GRRRR i f*****g hate emos!'' without any actual reason to feel like that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement