Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Worst kind of rock

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Hey, I don't want to hate emo's. I was just born this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Mordeth wrote:
    Hey, I don't want to hate emo's. I was just born this way.

HA! at least your well humoured about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Sean_K wrote:
    Yea, these bands produce formulaic and immensely marketable music, along the lines of Timbaland or Greenday. There's no musical flair or any real creativity.

You're so right there. I swear, everything's just the same riff and meaningless shouting over and over again. Why i sat down only the other night and listened to three death metal albums in a row, and they were all totally different. Such amazing versatility and creativity! The first one, had this one guy roaring unitelligibly into a mike for what seemed like a solid hour while the band behind him just played whatever they could as fast as they could. Then the next album featured a different band, but this time, it was a different dude roaring unintelligibly into a mike for about 70 minutes while the band lashed it out at random. But then, on the third album, the third guy, he really pulled out all the stops, and though there were a couple of moments where he lost it and you could almost make out a word or two, he quickly covered his back with a really long deep roar. The band were coming on heavy in the background too. Rock on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭boss^is^dead

anyone listen to any Christian Black Metal? seemingly it exists..
    any names for me to check out?

whoever invented that needs to be shown what black metal is all about.

Black metal came from a band called Mayhem, they took the name from a Venom album called "Black Metal". This genre became known as norwegian/swedish/finnish black metal and is called so because of it's roots in satanism and the occult. Christian Black metal can't exist by default. It may sound like something similar in the black metal world but the approach is wrong and thus it is probably loosely called Christian black metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

You're so right there. I swear, everything's just the same riff and meaningless shouting over and over again. Why i sat down only the other night and listened to three death metal albums in a row, and they were all totally different. Such amazing versatility and creativity! The first one, had this one guy roaring unitelligibly into a mike for what seemed like a solid hour while the band behind him just played whatever they could as fast as they could. Then the next album featured a different band, but this time, it was a different dude roaring unintelligibly into a mike for about 70 minutes while the band lashed it out at random. But then, on the third album, the third guy, he really pulled out all the stops, and though there were a couple of moments where he lost it and you could almost make out a word or two, he quickly covered his back with a really long deep roar. The band were coming on heavy in the background too. Rock on.
    Ouch, the sarcasm almost physically hurt me!

General indie music drives me insane. From the point of view of someone who listens to a variety of metal (generally heavier and faster the better, but not strictly), 80s rock, 60s and 70s old-school rock and prog rock, I have tried listening to bands that I would describe as "******-type" bands, i.e. Razorlight, Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers, etc, and I really cannot understand how this type of music survives. I have plenty of friends who are into these bands so I am around when they are played a lot, but they all sound the exact same to me and I can't for the life of me find anything enticing about them or even tell them apart - they all seem extremely generic to me.

At the weekend, an indie festival took place in my home town and since I was working, I missed all but the last night. Headliners were Director, and Delorentos were also playing. I only got the last song by Delorentos but only survived for three songs by Director, whom I have been given the impression, are the 'next big thing' in indie music. And guess what? They sounded the exact same as abso-fukcing-lutely every other indie band that I have evr heard. Nothing stands out, the band have hardly any energy, and the singer seemed like he was trying to look like a hybrid of Jarvis Cocker and Neil Hannon.

Different strokes for different folks, and any fans of the above bands will surely rush to their defense, but I honestly can't see how bands like this are so popular these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I was actually tempted to give a serious reply to this, but honestly what's the point?

Don't let me catch you trolling again like this, or you will be taking a break from this board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Any Bristish music nowadays. Please give me a pillow. All they make is fag rock which is hogging radio airplay eg coldplay, INTERPOL, etc etc snooor

Interpol are from New York, and most of the music coming out of Britain now is urban; grime and stuff like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I definitely think "take me to the prom" bands (named this by my mates and I as it tends to be what they're all singing about) like Trivium are probably the most disappointing to me. They take a perfectly good metal tune, complete with heavy assed riffs and a fair pace and ruin it by sticking that ghey singing in the middle of it.

However, the worst kind of rock is pretty much anything "radio friendly" from the 80's, 90's and 00's - cock rock :D There is of course a list of bands 10 miles long that can be excluded from this list, but in general, if it's on the radio (and I don't mean specific rock/metal stations or shows, I mean 2fm or BBC1), it's total bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ah so many things to reply too, the level of ignorance/misinformation astounds me though...

Firstly, someone said they hated Christian rock, tenner bets they'd list Creed as one of them. Sorry but they're not Christian rock, they said it themselves in interviews, they said it in the album sleves and they even sung about it but no, people insisted they were just because their tosser lead singer held his hands out alot and had some mildy introspective lyrics. What is it in particular you hate about the genre as a matter of interest, outside of its religious groundings I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a decent reason that is fundamental to the genre itself.

Now, MCR and the hate that surrounds them. I'm sure most of you have heard their new single Teenager? Several of my mates who are into mainstream stuff / radio but hate My Chemical Romance (hypocritical enough on its own) heard that song several times and really liked it...however they didn't know it was MCR. Then one day I pointed out who sung it and instantly they dismissed it...just becuase of the band. Frankly I find that and similar behaviour pathetic.

Karl, while the point of Slutmonkey57b's post may have been abit dodgy you can't deny the fact that the average music listener thinks this way in reality. This is the rock/metal forum after all and I can think of alot of poeple who listen to great rock bands but would have exactly the same reaction as that upon listening to many metal bands.

boss^is^dead, unfortunately your definition of Black Metal and therefore your assumption that Christian Black Metal cannot exist is incorrect. While I don't know enough about the genre to argue the point I'll simply point you at some of the interviews Ihsahn from Emperor and other prominant black metal artists have given in which they flatly denies that the core of the Black Metal genre lies in paganism/satanism/the occult.

Now, rant over, I'm off to listen to some Dragonforce...maybe Air after that....then some Unearth...then some Dimmu Borgir...then some Toto probably. I may feel like calming things down later so I might listen to some Dashboard Confessional or Tool or Air or Robert Johnson. Oh noez, multiple genres, maybe I'll just kill myself now. OR maybe I'll just relax and listen to and appreciate the music which I enjoy and not feel the need to incessantly bitch about music which I don't. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

gizmo wrote:
    Firstly, someone said they hated Christian rock, tenner bets they'd list Creed as one of them.
    You can send me cash or a cheque in the post then.

My reasons for hating it, every band i've ever heard in the genre have been utter ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

gizmo wrote:

Now, MCR and the hate that surrounds them. I'm sure most of you have heard their new single Teenager? Several of my mates who are into mainstream stuff / radio but hate My Chemical Romance (hypocritical enough on its own) heard that song several times and really liked it...however they didn't know it was MCR. Then one day I pointed out who sung it and instantly they dismissed it...just becuase of the band. Frankly I find that and similar behaviour pathetic.

Now, rant over, I'm off to listen to some Dragonforce...maybe Air after that....then some Unearth...then some Dimmu Borgir...then some Toto probably. I may feel like calming things down later so I might listen to some Dashboard Confessional or Tool or Air or Robert Johnson. Oh noez, multiple genres, maybe I'll just kill myself now. OR maybe I'll just relax and listen to and appreciate the music which I enjoy and not feel the need to incessantly bitch about music which I don't. :)

thank you :D
    firstly the point of mcr, very true! I saw it first hand my sister dismissing them as an emo band and refusing to listen to them when they came on the radio, then i catch her singing along with it unaware, i point out its mcr and she stops and walks away:rolleyes:

and your second point, on my WMP theres stuff ranging from 30 seconds to mars to machine head, iron maiden to regina spektor, cradle of filth to weezer, darkest hour to jimmy eat world and i could go on but i wont, variation is the key

and on the point of christian rock/metal as long as they arent preachey about it its ok, like i watched an underOath set and they dedicated their set to ''jesus christ'' which i didnt really like them doing, but they still played a killer gig, Still Remains are a christian band and theyve been getting pretty good reveiws lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Still Remains are friggin' great, I got their album awhile back and loved it but for some reason I haven't listened to them in awhile.

WARNING: CONTAINS MID-SONG BREAKDOWN. ;)

Definitely an example of a good Christian "rock" band anyway, same goes for As I Lay Dying. Kutless on the other hand are super bloody preachy and have a lead singer who does a bad impression of a non-screamy Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

whoever invented that needs to be shown what black metal is all about.

Black metal came from a band called Mayhem, they took the name from a Venom album called "Black Metal". This genre became known as norwegian/swedish/finnish black metal and is called so because of it's roots in satanism and the occult. Christian Black metal can't exist by default. It may sound like something similar in the black metal world but the approach is wrong and thus it is probably loosely called Christian black metal.

from wiki.
    Christian Black Metal

Horde is widely considered to be the first Christian black metal band. As a one man band with only one release (in 1994), Horde initiated controversy within the extreme metal community, opposing the more common lyrical themes of Satanism and evil. The title of Horde's only release -- Hellig Usvart -- means "Holy Unblack", which is now often used by Christians to refer to Christian black metal, in order to avoid the negative connotations of the term "black metal".

Antestor existed prior to the release of Hellig Usvart but their music was a death/doom style (or as they called it, "Sorrow Metal"), and was not yet musically considered black metal. They, as well as Crimson Moonlight and others (such as Divine Symphony), make up today's more polished style of Christian black metal comparable to more mainstream high production black metal bands. However, more traditional and raw low-production black metal bands such as Abdijah, Light Shall Prevail, Offerblod, Arch of Thorns, Flaskavsae, Eligbbor, Bedeiah, Dormant, Firethrone, etc., still exist on record labels such as Sneeuwstorm Produkties and GES Productions, among others.

see here for more - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unblack_metal
    this may actually warrant it s own thread....

You know, I was actually tempted to give a serious reply to this, but honestly what's the point?

Don't let me catch you trolling again like this, or you will be taking a break from this board.

Really?

You don't see the Massive Irony Overload in people giving out that teeny idie rocker bands "all sound the same" and "all follow the same boring formula" to "keep the fans happy", then advocating that they listen to death metal instead? What's even more amusing is the metaller's denunciation of techno music as computer-generated crap, when if anything it's more innovative than a lot of metal bands out there. If ever there was a genre of music that's totally devoid of musical innovation, nitpick gradation of "style" and pretentious holier-than-thou posturing, it's death/black/necro/grindcore/hardcore/corecore/coreduo/whatever metal, and I'm sure that'll get me a ban for saying so, but screw it, it's true. Hardcore metallers, particularly ones that attempt to play in bands of their own, seem to have developed this tendency over the past 10 years to value technical difficulty above all else. I don't care if some drummer plays 50% faster single-footing it on a bass drum than some other drummer double-footing it on two. If what he's playing is boring ****, I won't give him much credit for it. I'd much rather listen to a good song created by humans than a loud fast song where the players could easily be replaced by computers.

So,
    Sarcasm aside then.

I challenge you to pick out 3 albums - one by MCR, Trivium, and Blink 182. At random.

Pick 3 albums by, say, Immortal, Napalm Death, and Mastodon.

We'll all give them a listen and see which batch of albums is more samey by-the-numbers ****e than the other. I'm willing to bet money there's more musical variation and stylistic change in one MCR album than there is in the whole 3-album death metal bunch. And I'm not even an MCR fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

What's even more amusing is the metaller's denunciation of techno music as computer-generated crap...

Excuse me? Some metallers. I am a dedicated metal fan, but you won't get me to stop listening to good dance music. And the idea that they are totally separate styles is complete bull****, There are many musicians in techno and electronica who list metal bands among their influences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I challenge you to pick out 3 albums - one by MCR, Trivium, and Blink 182. At random.

Pick 3 albums by, say, Immortal, Napalm Death, and Mastodon.

We'll all give them a listen and see which batch of albums is more samey by-the-numbers ****e than the other. I'm willing to bet money there's more musical variation and stylistic change in one MCR album than there is in the whole 3-album death metal bunch.

See, this is just funny, because I can do this, and blow your crappy point out of the water.

Let's see:

Blink 182 - Take Off Your Pants And Jacket

I bought this many moons ago on my journey to the side of light, as it was at least guitar-based stuff. Now, you will not find a single musical point of note or interest in this whole album. Fact. Sorry, you just won't find any half-decent musicianship or anything but the most methodical four-chord songwriting.

Trivium - Ascendancy

I'm afraid I never got this, but was damn close. I saw the video for "Like Light to Flies" and thought, damn, this is pretty cool, might get me a chunk of this action. Then those goddamn vocals came in and ruined a perfectly good track. Even the rather cool solos couldn't redeem it after that. And y'know what? I learned those solos, because they were cool, and even some of the riffs, but they're all quite derivative, not a whole lot of innovation going on there, just a metal band with potential being brought down because they're such Metallica fanboys.

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

It's just radio-friendly, easily accessible crap, frankly. Poor musicians, a frontman who grates on the nerves so badly it hurts, uninteresting sounds without decent hooks. What more can I not want from any band or album on the face of the earth?

Now, to the actually talented musicians, with innovation and all. :eek:

Mastodon - Leviathan

These guys can play. Brann Dailor is one of my favourite drummers for adding loads of flavour as well as holding down a beat. The music is richly textured, combining great hooks and leads with gorgeous melodies and atmospherics. The influences range across blues and country, hardcore and metal. They play with time signatures and instrumental techniques to make a cracking album, with a unique theme.

Napalm Death - Scum

This record was a new level in fury. It grew from a punk scene in Birmingham that was bursting with anger, and took it to a new level. It incorporated metal influences and was fast and heavy and furious, and they were so young. Practically schoolchildren. It paved the way for fast and furious music for the past twenty years. I recently got the 20th anniversary re-release and it sounds as aggressive and cutting as anything out today, if not moreso.

Immortal - At The Heart of Winter

A landmark metal record, everything that black metal should be, atmospheric, fast, brooding, edgy and interesting. Not a whole lot more to say on this, it does all its own speaking.

The funny part is, you don't even give me a decent selection of metal bands to work with. Let's talk Death, Atheist, Cynic, Aghora, Alarum, Pestilence and see what we can come up with. I daresay you couldn't find as much innovation in MCR's entire back and future catalogue as you would in a single Cynic riff. Thank you.

Eh, my point was nothing about technical skill at instrument playing. My question was "Does the whole album sound the same all the way through?" "Do all three albums sound exactly the same?" "Can you actually differentiate between one singer and another?"

And if you're going to slam bands that use simple 3-chord or 4-chord songwriting, then you can string up the blues heroes while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Maybe we're all getting a little carried away here guys, bands like Green day MCR and Linkin Park are mostly popular with younger teenagers which is fine , personally I find most of their stuff formulaic and uninspired, but that's just me. As these kids get older and more educated they may well start checking out the likes of Slayer, Maiden and some recent bands like Opeth Nile or whoever so maybe it's not a bad thing. This to me is gateway music, leading to the harder or better stuff hopefully, if not and these kids enjoy this pop music then that's fine too.
    PS
    Karl , have a sense of humour , I love death metal but I found slutmonkeys comments funny.

See, this is just funny, because I can do this, and blow your crappy point out of the water.

Let's see:

Blink 182 - Take Off Your Pants And Jacket

I bought this many moons ago on my journey to the side of light, as it was at least guitar-based stuff. Now, you will not find a single musical point of note or interest in this whole album. Fact. Sorry, you just won't find any half-decent musicianship or anything but the most methodical four-chord songwriting.

Good songs? Songs people enjoy? Or does that not come into it? A song can only be good if it is technically complicated?

John Lee Hooker wrote some of the simplest, least technical songs around. He even re-uses a lot of the same bits in different songs! I suppose that made him a talentless hack?

+1 to my point that "technical difficulty is valued above all else" then.

Trivium - Ascendancy

I'm afraid I never got this, but was damn close. I saw the video for "Like Light to Flies" and thought, damn, this is pretty cool, might get me a chunk of this action. Then those goddamn vocals came in and ruined a perfectly good track. Even the rather cool solos couldn't redeem it after that. And y'know what? I learned those solos, because they were cool, and even some of the riffs, but they're all quite derivative, not a whole lot of innovation going on there, just a metal band with potential being brought down because they're such Metallica fanboys.

You don't like the vocals, eh? They could be great, but because they're not doing the music the way you want them to, they're crap. I see. I don't like the vocals on Napalm Death's stuff. Clearly Napalm Death are crap! QED!

Does the whole album sound the same, or are the songs different to each other? Oh you didn't listen to the album. My bad. You just liked it, then decided it wasn't difficult enough, so you dropped it.

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

It's just radio-friendly, easily accessible crap, frankly. Poor musicians, a frontman who grates on the nerves so badly it hurts, uninteresting sounds without decent hooks. What more can I not want from any band or album on the face of the earth?

How can it be "radio friendly" if the frontman grates on everyone's nerves? How can it have no decent hooks to drag in all these casual listeners that only listen out for a simple melody and a good hook? Surely that makes it "radio unfriendly". A radio station will never give over airplay to something that's going to make people switch off, right? Ooooh, he grates on your nerves. So anyone else's opinion is valueless. I see. All those people who are in his fanclub, they clearly don't realise that when they enjoy listening to him, he's actually grating on their nerves, they just don't know it.
    Now, to the actually talented musicians, with innovation and all. :eek:

Mastodon - Leviathan

These guys can play. Brann Dailor is one of my favourite drummers for adding loads of flavour as well as holding down a beat. The music is richly textured, combining great hooks and leads with gorgeous melodies and atmospherics. The influences range across blues and country, hardcore and metal. They play with time signatures and instrumental techniques to make a cracking album, with a unique theme.

Again with the ignoring my point. I never argued whether they were technically competant, or whether they could play. I wanted to know if they could write a set of songs that sound distinctly different, or whether it was the same *loud noise* *roar* business over and over again. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here - Mastodon at least have intros to each song that are different from each other. Of course, then it all descends into more of the same hyperbolic screaming. Pity that. As to the blues and country influences - eh. Right. Let's have a look at some sample lyrics then from "The Wolf Is Loose", since I don't have Leviathan to hand.

"The hero of the gods
    The crossing of the threshold
    The belly of the whale
    Refusal of return
    Hollow eyes
    Dry pale legs
    Howling on
    Thru fields and graves
    Language of the signs"

If you see any similarities there to blues and country, which are all based around telling human stories, as the man Ray Charles himself said, then you're doing well. And that's the least ridiculous set of lyrics on the album.
    Napalm Death - Scum

This record was a new level in fury. It grew from a punk scene in Birmingham that was bursting with anger, and took it to a new level. It incorporated metal influences and was fast and heavy and furious, and they were so young. Practically schoolchildren. It paved the way for fast and furious music for the past twenty years. I recently got the 20th anniversary re-release and it sounds as aggressive and cutting as anything out today, if not moreso.

So your answer to my question "does the whole album sound the same" is Yes, then? And lots of other albums made over the past 20 years sound the same as this one? I'll take your word for it. +1 to the "sounding the same for 20 ****ing years" argument then.

Immortal - At The Heart of Winter

A landmark metal record, everything that black metal should be, atmospheric, fast, brooding, edgy and interesting. Not a whole lot more to say on this, it does all its own speaking.

As does the band's get-up. Did they realise Kiss were cheesy crap the first time round do you think? I didn't know that painting yourself like Gene Simmons and shouting loudly made you edgy and interesting. I thought it made you boring and derivative. Clearly I'm wrong!
    The funny part is, you don't even give me a decent selection of metal bands to work with. Let's talk Death, Atheist, Cynic, Aghora, Alarum, Pestilence and see what we can come up with. I daresay you couldn't find as much innovation in MCR's entire back and future catalogue as you would in a single Cynic riff. Thank you.

Again, you're arguing that Cynic write technically complicated stuff, as though that is necessarily of more value than good songwriting, ignoring my point completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I love what this thread has become :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

nipplenuts wrote:
    On the radio now. Manic Street Preachers - what have you done to your hair?

Is that not the worst, formulaic, lazy sh1te you've heard this century?

Would you believe that the singer from that band had the nerve to say nirvana are all terrible musicians? They have to be the ****test of the **** going atm if you ask me, and your mans voice sounds like hes been squeezed in teh balls

Anything emo is ****.

In the imortal words of nick oliveri "Creed is just brown"

any Linkin Park.

panic at the disco? Do they even count as rock?

Trivium are ****ing terrible. Its not a fad that im picking up on that makes me think they are terrible, its the queer front man for a start (not to mentiont he rest of them) who makes retarded facial gestures, and pulls out the 80s stances while trying to be like james from tallica. They are fking terrible. I wont even get started on My Chemical Romance. They cant even play their own instruments.
    chin_grin wrote:
    d
    people need to listen to Down, Pantera, Slayer, Death, Dying Fetus (dont let the name fool ya), Obituary, Nile, i could go on.

Not totally my cup of tea, but agreed. I would add Queens of the stone age to that, maybe some maiden and ratm..
    Any Bristish music nowadays. Please give me a pillow. All they make is fag rock which is hogging radio airplay eg coldplay, INTERPOL, etc etc snooor

Interpol are from newyork, and very good live. Dont be so close minded about your music my friend.

Really?

You don't see the Massive Irony Overload in people giving out that teeny idie rocker bands "all sound the same" and "all follow the same boring formula" to "keep the fans happy", then advocating that they listen to death metal instead?

There is a vast difference in someone simply expressing their opinion (reguardless of whether it's correct or not) and someone trolling, insulting and deriding people, as you have done.

But hey, if you're unable to tell the difference between Immortal and Napalm Death, then I can hardly expect you to understand the subtle differences of the above.
    D.T. Jesus wrote:

Honestly, this thread is retarded. I probably would've closed it if ItWasn'tMe hadn't made a fantastic point here.

Thankfully, it does seem to have become somewhat interesting as of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Finally a voice of reason - agree with most of Slutmonkey57b's points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

what is wrong with being like one of, if not the best band ever?

how dare you compare what passes for rock these days to true masters of the genre?......If you want a band that sounds like Zep listen to the answer now thats good if not great stuff buy the album.....no emo's in sight.....no ohhhh nobody understands me...boo...who......why don't the popular kids like me.....

just good blues rock.......everyone buy Rise by The Answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Really?

You don't see the Massive Irony Overload in people giving out that teeny idie rocker bands "all sound the same" and "all follow the same boring formula" to "keep the fans happy", then advocating that they listen to death metal instead? What's even more amusing is the metaller's denunciation of techno music as computer-generated crap, when if anything it's more innovative than a lot of metal bands out there. If ever there was a genre of music that's totally devoid of musical innovation, nitpick gradation of "style" and pretentious holier-than-thou posturing, it's death/black/necro/grindcore/hardcore/corecore/coreduo/whatever metal, and I'm sure that'll get me a ban for saying so, but screw it, it's true. Hardcore metallers, particularly ones that attempt to play in bands of their own, seem to have developed this tendency over the past 10 years to value technical difficulty above all else. I don't care if some drummer plays 50% faster single-footing it on a bass drum than some other drummer double-footing it on two. If what he's playing is boring ****, I won't give him much credit for it. I'd much rather listen to a good song created by humans than a loud fast song where the players could easily be replaced by computers.

I definately have to agree with this post. You could definately apply this to 50% of threads that pop up in this forum. But what do I know, I' ve been listening to the bulk of Journey's discography for the last few days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

D.T. Jesus wrote:

I know. It's crazy, Jesus, crazy :D

chin_grin wrote:
    do you bleat aswell? where have all the sane people gone!?

people need to listen to Down, Pantera, Slayer, Death, Dying Fetus (dont let the name fool ya), Obituary, Nile, i could go on.

I'm the one insulting people?

Point me to where I've insulted someone on this thread.
    I've insulted someone's flawed argument several times, but I don't see any insults directed at other posters.

I'm trolling as well? How? By being sarcastic about death metal? By not taking it seriously? If that constitutes "trolling", then go ahead and ban me. While you're at it, put up a poll saying "do you like death metal" and ban everyone else that says "no".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I don't think there's a band out there as forumulaic and repetative as Iron Maiden :p

I'm the one insulting people?

Point me to where I've insulted someone on this thread.
    I've insulted someone's flawed argument several times, but I don't see any insults directed at other posters.

I'm trolling as well? How? By being sarcastic about death metal? By not taking it seriously? If that constitutes "trolling", then go ahead and ban me. While you're at it, put up a poll saying "do you like death metal" and ban everyone else that says "no".

lolcat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

lolcat.jpg

Hmm, who are you saying is the pussy? You or Slutmonkey? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement