Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Worst kind of rock

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think our friend SlutMonkey is as uptight about not liking the heavier side of things as some of us are about loving it :D

This is ok. I shall chuck in a €0.02...

There is nothing "wrong" with bands like Trivium, Blink 182 or whoever. There is nothing "wrong" with their music. It can be considered at times formulaic (sp?) and appealing to a certain lowest common denominator.

Exactly the same thing can be said for a lot of metal bands. Cannibal Corpse and Slayer spring to mind. Very little in terms of musical and genre progression there in recent albums being honest (and I really like both bands). If you're into the popier side of things and aural aggression and brutality doesn't do it for you, then the more "radio friendly" stuff is perfectly acceptable. For too long have metalers looked down on this sorta thing because the musicians involved don't play at 4 million miles an hour. But, for people like SlutMonkey to suggest that it all sounds the same is total poppycock (hey, dog, I'm writing profanities on the wall!).

Too many people think that because something is popular it is bad. This is not the case. Just because someone makes an honest to gods living from music and can retire for life after 10 years in the business doesn't make them a sell-out :) There are many, many bands/artists who have (at least to my mind) given up slightly in making an effort. Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Moby stand out in recent times for me, U2 as well. They have all released the same basic album the last few times and as a result I have lost all respect for them, the main reason being, these were bands who used to never produce the same album twice and always impressed me with the new directions they would take.

To sum up: it really doesn't matter and give it a forking rest lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well said Kharn, well said. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

If you see any similarities there to blues and country, which are all based around telling human stories, as the man Ray Charles himself said, then you're doing well. And that's the least ridiculous set of lyrics on the album.

First of all, It Wasn't Me! meant that they were influenced musically by blues and country as well as other genres, not that thet were lyrically bluesy. And besides, just because the lyrics seem a bit ridiculous to you doesn't mean they have no value or that they can't tell a human story. If we were to take that attitude, we might as well forget about the Romantic Poets.
    red_ice wrote:
    Anything emo is ****.

panic at the disco? Do they even count as rock?

Interpol are from newyork, and very good live. Dont be so close minded about your music my friend.

Post of the year maybe?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Slutmonkey seems to have sensitive ears... Ah bless.

Listen kid, just because you don't know the difference between grindcore, black metal and whatever genre Mastodon are. Personally I don't care about what sub genre they are, and I don't think that people should care or just limit themselves to those sub genres. You either like the music or you don't.

But if you can't tell the difference between someone like Meshuggah and Morbid Angel for example, just because of the type of vocals they use and then start insulting anyone that disagrees with you then you are no use to this forum. You are out of your depth when it comes to arguing about extreme bands because it is obvious that you don't have a clue.

There is more to music than vocals, believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

maybe a rock and metal forum is too broad
    in fairness LP MCR Manic SP Avril Lavigne hardly belong on the same planet as Slayer Mastodon or whoever, split the forum Rock and Metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Just out of interest, who do you think Wolfmother and Trivium are ripping off?

I wouldn't quite call it ripping off, but some of the Wolfmother stuff sounds heavily influenced by early Black Sabbath. There's also nothing wrong with that, and if I'm not mistaken, they list Sabbath as an influence on their myspace. It's also very difficult not to be influenced by bands you admire.
    I found the Wolfmother album an ok listen, I wouldn't say I loved it but I didn't hate it. It has no longevity in my opinion however.
    If I remember right, I think I heard what sounded exactly like a part from a Comets on Fire song in one Wolfmother song, would have to check that to be sure though.
    If Wolfmother lead other people to bands they would have never heard of otherwise, then that can only be good so I have no problem with them.
    I haven't heard much Trivium so I can't comment on them.

buck65 wrote:
    maybe a rock and metal forum is too broad
    in fairness LP MCR Manic SP Avril Lavigne hardly belong on the same planet as Slayer Mastodon or whoever, split the forum Rock and Metal.

I couldn't disagree more.

I've no qualms about posting in the same forum about Pink Floyd or Rush as I would Dream Theater, Metallica, Testament and whatever else. Most of the time, it's perfectly fine, and I don't see how one muppet throwing a spanner in the works should change that.

I don't keep my Rock CDs on a different shelve to Metal. I don't feel the need to go into another room when I want to listen to Queen, and I don't particarly want to have to go into another forum either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

As annoying as the tards having a strop about metal in this forum is, I think ethnic cleansing is a far more advantageous immediate solution than splitting the forum up.

O... K...

And I think with that, this thread has reached absolute rock bottom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement