Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points

Options
  • 07-08-2007 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Howdy,

Got caught speeding in December last year. DEtails taken, was told I'd be getting 2 points. No sign of any points in the post or anything like that. Anybody know is there a cut off for this? I'm presuming I'm in the clear. Happy days?

G. Man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

I got caught in 1st Nov 05, didn't get anything until around May/June 06, they then started on the 4th July 06. I was really annoyed cause I'd told my insurance company straight away that I had them, cause I was renewing and they asked and then it turns out they didn't start until 9months later. Very slow system!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I was caught in October "04 and did not get points notification until April "05. Thought they had got their act together and sorted the delays out, but maybe not. On the other hand, I was caught a few weeks after the above, doing 36mph in a 30mph zone ( :mad: ), and have never heard anything about it since. Not sure if it slipped thru the system or common sense got the better of the Garda who bravely defended law and order that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

I got speeding in November last year, didn't pay the fine in time and was told id have to wait for a summons.. still haven't gotten one yet.

Who knows anymore?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Motors would have been a more apt forum for this.
    There is a 6 month limit before the allegation becomes void. Is the car registered to you and at your address? Just because you didn't hear from them does not automatically mean that the details weren't sent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

Ah pooh. That's very annoying. Can you contest the points or is it just a straight forward slap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    I was caught in October "04 and did not get points notification until April "05. Thought they had got their act together and sorted the delays out, but maybe not. On the other hand, I was caught a few weeks after the above, doing 36mph in a 30mph zone ( :mad: ), and have never heard anything about it since. Not sure if it slipped thru the system or common sense got the better of the Garda who bravely defended law and order that day.

Thats 6mph over the speed limit ... i don't understand what point your trying to make.

That would be the same as me doing 116kph in a 100kph zone and giving out about it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

slavigo wrote:
    I got caught in 1st Nov 05, didn't get anything until around May/June 06, they then started on the 4th July 06. I was really annoyed cause I'd told my insurance company straight away that I had them, cause I was renewing and they asked and then it turns out they didn't start until 9months later. Very slow system!
    Why did you tell your insurance company that you had points when you didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

kbannon wrote:
    Why did you tell your insurance company that you had points when you didn't?

I didn't know how it worked. I thought you had them from when you got caught and no matter when they came in, it was three years from when you got caught. So when I was renewing my insurance two weeks later and they asked if I had any points, I said yes. I know better now but to be honest, if I hadn't gotten caught, I'd probably still think it was 3 years from the date you got caught. I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

just as a matter of interest when you got your details taken, was it with a garda doing a speed check with the gun like camera?

do they have to stop you and take your details or are they like the gatso vans and just take lots of pictures and then send out fines later?

Advertisement