Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iMode MMS on Meteor

• 07-08-2007 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

My brother has moved to Meteor (God knows why?) but his phone is iMode and there does not seem to be a way from him to send MMS, the phone uses iMail or something to send MMS messages... is there anyway he can send MMS with this phone?

any ideas? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

johnmryan wrote:
    My brother has moved to Meteor (God knows why?)
    because they're the cheapest network maybe
    johnmryan wrote:
    but his phone is iMode and there does not seem to be a way from him to send MMS, the phone uses iMail or something to send MMS messages... is there anyway he can send MMS with this phone?

any ideas? :eek:
    he can get it flashed mith non crappy imode software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Has anyone done this without messing with the software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

because they're the cheapest network maybe

Not really true, it depends on how you use your phone - You call a minimum top up of 20 a month cheap to get free meteor to meteor calls? --edit free texts--

for some people thats 4 time the credit they'll ever use on Vodafone or O2 in an month. It all depends on your usage.

Your statment is a hyperbolic one to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

As a meteor customer, you can login to the website and get the MMS/WAP settings automatically sent to your phone.

Dead handy.

And for me & almost all my friends, Meteor are by far the cheapest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

You call a minimum top up of 20 a month cheap to get free meteor to meteor calls?

Isn't it free texts?

• Advertisement

plazzTT wrote:
    Isn't it free texts?

Free SMS & MMS texts

John_Mc wrote:
    As a meteor customer, you can login to the website and get the MMS/WAP settings automatically sent to your phone.

Dead handy.

And for me & almost all my friends, Meteor are by far the cheapest

yes but it wont work for an iMode Phone -there is nowhere for those settings to be stored :(

dumbyearbook - eXactly - plus its not cheap when you have no coverage like he does, keeps dropping and so on, anytime I call him its straight to voicemail. I was screwed by Meteor before and also by 3Mobile so i only trust o2 and vodafone for my phone services, the others simply dont cut it, maybe if they clean up there act

johnmryan wrote:
    dumbyearbook - eXactly - plus its not cheap when you have no coverage like he does, keeps dropping and so on, anytime I call him its straight to voicemail. I was screwed by Meteor before and also by 3Mobile so i only trust o2 and vodafone for my phone services, the others simply dont cut it, maybe if they clean up there act

I havent had coverage problems with Meteor in well over a year anyway, they were useless at the start tho

@dumbyearbook

vodafone
    peak: 49
    off:19
    text:11c

o2
    peak:55 to o2/63 to other
    off:15 to o2/19 to other
    text:11 to o2/13 to other

meteor
    peak:40
    off:13
    text:9

or
    20 at all times

basically, even without the text deal, they're still cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

unless of course you just send text

then 3pay at 5 cent a text to all networks forever

@dumbyearbook

vodafone
    peak: 49
    off:19
    text:11c

o2
    peak:55 to o2/63 to other
    off:15 to o2/19 to other
    text:11 to o2/13 to other

meteor
    peak:40
    off:13
    text:9

or
    20 at all times

basically, even without the text deal, they're still cheaper

If you are a low spend customer you are as well off with O2/Voda you can get a better network for a little more say on texts - that was my point for the big savings with Meteor you need to top up 20 p/m and text Meteor numbers

If you are a low spend customer you are as well off with O2/Voda you can get a better network for a little more say on texts - that was my point for the big savings with Meteor you need to top up 20 p/m and text Meteor numbers

You're wrong about network coverage as meteor has the same coverage as O2.

And you're also wrong about needing to top up with €20 p/m to get a saving with meteor. The texts to all networks are still cheaper than O2 & Vodafone regardless of whether you've topped up with 20 euros or not.

John_Mc wrote:
    You're wrong about network coverage as meteor has the same coverage as O2.

And you're also wrong about needing to top up with €20 p/m to get a saving with meteor. The texts to all networks are still cheaper than O2 & Vodafone regardless of whether you've topped up with 20 euros or not.

Your wrong as Meteor roams on Vodafone not O2 anymore. Id rather be on the network than piggy-backing/swapping to meteor's own network. (personally)

Either way you are missing my point - to get big savings ie. the free texts meteor to meteor you have to top up by 20 p/m. We noted (highlighted by Commander Vimes) above already that across the board they are cheaper.

So what im saying is that if you are low spend ie cira €10 p/m you are as well off staying with one of the bigger networks as the savings would be minimal.

Your wrong as Meteor roams on Vodafone not O2 anymore.

and you are missing my point - to get big savings ie. the free texts meteor to meteor you have to top up by 20 p/m. We noted above already that across the board they are cheaper.

There's no point in being pedantic about it, whether Meteor uses O2 or Vodafone to Roam is irrelevant. You said both networks had better coverage than Meteor - which obviously isnt the case.

I dont believe I am missing the point, you dont need to top up by 20 euros to get savings over the other networks. Big savings or little savings, they're still savings over the other networks.

You're making that 20 euro top-up thing out to be bad or something, when in fact it's the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

unless of course you just send text

then 3pay at 5 cent a text to all networks forever

Pah, 5 cent text.. AFT is the way to go

John_Mc wrote:
    There's no point in being pedantic about it, whether Meteor uses O2 or Vodafone to Roam is irrelevant. You said both networks had better coverage than Meteor - which obviously isnt the case.

I dont believe I am missing the point, you dont need to top up by 20 euros to get savings over the other networks. Big savings or little savings, they're still savings over the other networks.

You're making that 20 euro top-up thing out to be bad or something, when in fact it's the opposite

I said personally id rather be with Voda or O2 (better customer care and range of phones and roaming options at least thats what ive found). and FYI
    When it comes to mobile charges etc. you cannot help but be a tad pedantic the models are built so that people wont bother...

We have already established (a few times now) that across the board Meteor is cheaper - no offence but the dog in the street knows that

to get savings that are worthwhile "the big savings" as i called them; you must top up 20 a month which is'nt worth it for everyone. If you only top up by 10 a month 20 a month is a bad thing! If you only send the odd text or make the odd call then you are as well off with O2/Vodafone; imo the savings are negligible. A cent here or there like. O2 let you send call mes to any network Vodafone have how are you texts (1 a day i think) Meteor on the other hand - give you nothing for free unless you commit that 20 p/m

I said personally id rather be with Voda or O2 (better customer care and range of phones and roaming options at least thats what ive found).

We have already established (a few times now) that across the board Meteor is cheaper - no offence but the dog in the street knows that

to get savings that are worthwhile "the big savings" as i called them; you must top up 20 a month which is'nt worth it for everyone. If you only top up by 10 a month 20 a month is a bad thing! If you only send the odd text or make the odd call then you are as well off with O2/Vodafone; imo the savings are negligible. A cent here or there like. O2 let you send call mes to any network Vodafone have how are you texts (1 a day i think) Meteor on the other hand - give you nothing for free unless you commit that 20 p/m

Meteor give you free voicemail, call me's, and free customer care. This was a first in Ireland but I'm sure the other companies have followed suit.

Anyways, enough of this - you'd swear I work for meteor or something :D (I don't!)

John_Mc wrote:
    Meteor give you free voicemail, call me's, and free customer care. This was a first in Ireland but I'm sure the other companies have followed suit.

Anyways, enough of this - you'd swear I work for meteor or something :D (I don't!)

Do meteor do call mes too? Did nt know that. Anyway thats not my point. Its the min top up thats the kicker

Do meteor do call mes too? Did nt know that. Anyway thats not my point. Its the min top up thats the kicker

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I don't see Vodafone or O2 offering any freebies when you spend more.

• Advertisement

Im not looking at a person who spend more here Im looking at someone who spends only a small amount and does nt want to commit 20 in one top up to get what is basically the only great deal in their product line up ie the free texts.

Ie if they usually top up around 10 p/m. you are as well to stick with a big network i said this above.

(And PS your not getting a reward for spending more you are basically contracted for something you cannot measure and therefore really put any value on imo)

Im not looking at a person who spend more here Im looking at someone who spends only a small amount and does nt want to commit 20 in one top up to get what is basically the only great deal in their product line up ie the free texts.

Ie if they usually top up around 10 p/m. you are as well to stick with a big network i said this above.

(And PS your not getting a reward for spending more you are basically contracted for something you cannot measure and therefore really put any value on imo)

Well, the important thing to note is that you dont have to Top up by 20 notes each month to make a saving over the other networks.

And if you're in a position like me, where almost all my friends are also on Meteor, then getting free texts is most definitely a valuable thing.

Each person will be different, and I can see you point about that. But you can't criticise Meteor for offering such a service, when other networks don't. A lot of people will spend about 20 euros a month on credit - I would hazzard a guess that this would be around the average

John_Mc wrote:
    Well, the important thing to note is that you dont have to Top up by 20 notes each month to make a saving over the other networks.

Everyone knows this. They are cheaper across the board etc.....

Im not being critical of them (i did call it "a great offer" in fairness!) Its perfect for groups of people with Meteor numbers like yourself and your friends.

The thing is that some low spenders might be under the illusion that they too will save alot on meteor, and some will actually fall into the trap of topping up the 20 a month to find they are saving very little.

Dumbyearbook, i started by saying meteor are the cheapest network and you called it a hyperbolic statement. When i posted the tariffs and you realised they're still cheaper without the e20 deal you changed to saying you prefer the other networks' customer care and acted as if you'd been saying that all along.

As other people have said, savings are savings no matter how small. You might personally prefer to be on vodafone rather than roaming on them but in reality there's no difference.

By the way, you can get free unlimited voda-voda texts on ready to go, but you have to top up by e20 per month. On o2 you can call 3 o2 people for 1c per minute. Guess how much you have to top up by

that offer got meteor at least 90% of its customers. It was so good the other networks copied it years later. Too late because pretty much everyone who's inclined to leave has done.

And as we've established, meteor's the cheapest all round so low spenders will be inclined to move to them so other people can text them for free. Saying to a low spender that you sometimes contact: "move to meteor. It'll save us both money" sounds a lot better than: "move to vodafone. It'll cost you more but save me money"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Overall Meteor are the cheapest and as for the €20 top-up,i find when i have free text i use barely any of my credit, one month i spent €3 because i was just texting everyone. I couldn't do that on any other network!

Dumbyearbook, i started by saying meteor are the cheapest network and you called it a hyperbolic statement. When i posted the tariffs and you realised they're still cheaper without the e20 deal you changed to saying you prefer the other networks' customer care and acted as if you'd been saying that all along.

As other people have said, savings are savings no matter how small. You might personally prefer to be on vodafone rather than roaming on them but in reality there's no difference.

By the way, you can get free unlimited voda-voda texts on ready to go, but you have to top up by e20 per month. On o2 you can call 3 o2 people for 1c per minute. Guess how much you have to top up by

that offer got meteor at least 90% of its customers. It was so good the other networks copied it years later. Too late because pretty much everyone who's inclined to leave has done.

And as we've established, meteor's the cheapest all round so low spenders will be inclined to move to them so other people can text them for free. Saying to a low spender that you sometimes contact: "move to meteor. It'll save us both money" sounds a lot better than: "move to vodafone. It'll cost you more but save me money"

I knew from the start that meteors rates were cheaper, it was nt clear from my first post though so fair enough but everyone knows that- the differences are only small beyond the offer of free texts though (also established)

I am also well aware that roaming whilst with Meteor on the Vodafone network makes no difference. Thats a personal thing.

I am also aware of the 20 min top up for O2 friends and Vodafones latests offer they are'nt the issue here.

The impression in the market is that Meteor will save you lots.

If you cannot justify topping up 20 p/m for free meteor to meteor texts then my point is that you are better off on Vodafone or O2. Not everyones friends are all on the Meteor network you'll save little for moving if they are'nt.

I know it would still be a little more expensive but thats a perosnal thing if you only send a few texts then the 2c extra for sending from O2 wont really bother you, then again these customers may be totally elastic and will have changed long ago!

I like your looking at it from the senders perspective this would work well in a relationship say where you might have such concern for an others expenditure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

this has gone terribly off topic but i really wish i could pull myself away from meteor. i'm tired of waiting for new services and phones that are of higher spec to the range they tend to stock (€49 crap things that only appeal to a small number of ppl, namely teens) but most my friends are also on meteor so the free text is the ONLY reason i still have a meteor contract :( terrible how this one little thing is keeping me from changing network :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 marypower

Not really true, it depends on how you use your phone - You call a minimum top up of 20 a month cheap to get free meteor to meteor calls? --edit free texts--

for some people thats 4 time the credit they'll ever use on Vodafone or O2.

would ya go away id easily spend over 20 euros cred in a week never mind a month. 20 a month wer ar ya goin boy:eek::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 marypower

This post has been deleted.

with meteor

texts 7 cent
    calls 25 cent to all networks
    voicemail free
    free texts to other meteor customers...

Advertisement