Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused Alarm

Options
  • 07-08-2007 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    as of yesterday my house alarm has decided to set itself off whenever there are any power changes downstairs.
    By this I mean turning on/off lights, the TV, dryer etc

Anyone got any clues?
    Herself was in the attic yesterday and thats where the meat of the alarm is but she is pretty sure she didnt touch anything...

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Are you getting a power-failure LED lighting on the panel?
    What error is in the event log?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Nope, its not a detected power failure..
    I havent letit go off yet (always stop it during the warning buzzer but will do tonight)
    Im guessing some wire somewhere has been exposed to something live and the voltage change is being detected as a breakin.

So far its only happened during the night settings (upstairs windows and pir offline)

ok the event logs shows that someone activated the back door (an entry/exit point)

any power change sets it off, I thought it was just the downstairs lights but the cooker does it aswell!

any ideas?
    its an aritech CS235 system

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The device on the back door is faulty. Change it & all should be fine.

but I dont get why a faulty sensor would be activated by other electrical items....?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It is probobly a faulty contact. The slightest little thing will activate it.
    If you want to be sure disconnect that device & close of the wires to it.
    I'll bet once you do that you will have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I would remove the fuse from the fused spur and see if the fault happens again when the panel is running off the battery.
    While doing that you could put a meter across the mains at the live side of the spur and see what readings you get when you switch a few things on and off.
    Mains especially fluorescents in close proximity to alarm cables can cause all sorts of weird stuff but I doubt that has anything to do with

Jnealon wrote:
    I would remove the fuse from the fused spur and see if the fault happens again when the panel is running off the battery.
    While doing that you could put a meter across the mains at the live side of the spur and see what readings you get when you switch a few things on and off.
    Mains especially fluorescents in close proximity to alarm cables can cause all sorts of weird stuff but I doubt that has anything to do with
    I was going to try that but the lads on www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk told me it was a useless task so I didnt bother...

it seems like it must be a voltage leak of some sort, but if it was on the earth surely my rcd would be tripping?

Alarm guy should be out tomorrow, on the phone he said it sounds like a leak, but nothing else in the house has detected it (or changed recently for that matter)
    cheers.

You never said . Is it only happening if the alarm is set?
    If so my money is still on the sensor or contact on the back door

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Being a trade member of that forum I can tell you that some of the lads who give advice in the public forum haven't got a clue
    Most alarm panels are wired off the light circuit so the RCD will not trip.
    Anyway let us know how you get on

• Advertisement
Advertisement