Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

and then along comes Laser TV

• 07-08-2007 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Greetings

I have spent the past few weekends annoying shop assistants in DID, PowerCity etc to try to help me to pick a 46" or larger TV (1080 res). Although I still can't decide and would welcome any recommendations ;) .

One of the guys in work today said "why dont you hold off until Christmas (or just after) and buy a laser TV?".

Have just read some stuff here and here and am now totally confused. This technology claims to be better quality, lighter weight, longer lasting and cheaper the both LCD and Plasma.

Should I spend €3,000 now when I might be able to buy something better in 6 months for €2,000. Maybe this is always the case with technology, and if you always hold off, you'll never buy anything!!

Anyone with any opinions/news etc on Laser TVs?

McGintyMcGoo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

There will be men on Mars before Laser TV's are widespread :)

Okay kidding aside Laser TV is another one of these alternative's like SED displays that promise all the benefits of flat panels without any of the drawbacks of LCD's. SED slit it's own throat so that tech is gone and it remains to be seen if Novalux with it's laser tech can get any other partners other than Mitsubishi.

While the technology may in fact be sound (emphasis on may) like SED other factors came into play and the people who actually make the TV's weren't so hot on the idea preferring to go with incremental improvements of LCD technology to solve the problems as thats what the factory's are geared up to make LCD's and making other types costs a lot of money in fact SED required new factory's to be built for optimal production.

Anyway I think at last years or was it this years CES Sony showed off a Laser TV prototype and said that it would not be in production anytime soon and the price tag would not be low in fact I thought I heard a rumor of potential 10k price tag.

To be honest all this talk by Novalux of 50" Laser TV's for $1000 sounds too good to be true and I would be very surprised if A) Laser TV's actually show up in retail by the end of this year and B) if they are anywhere near the price of equivalent LCD's.

(That said I would love to be wrong)

Go buy a 1080p plasma or LCD you should be able to get ones in the 40-46" range with 1080p support for around €2000-2500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Cheers for the reply 8T8.

It looks like it might be a Samsung 52" for me (LE52M87BD - €2,799.00 in Komplett) although I'm still looking around. If you happen to know anything about this model OR can suggest the cheapest place to buy Samsung, let me know :)

Cheers

McGintyMcGoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Its always the case that there is better technology around the corner, but u have to jump on at some stage. There seems to be new Samsungs coming out soon

On your model that you are looking at be careful there seems to be some firmware issues with it read the FAQ on the AVforums here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511377
    Also looks like there are new Sammy's coming out soon http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/lcd-plasma-tv/lcd-tv-ab46/187880/-/Article.html?

Snake ;)

Advertisement