Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote zipping?

Options
  • 07-08-2007 12:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    What's the simplest way to zip files on an ftp server?
    I back up an 8Mb folder, made up of multiple files, but it takes ages to download the indiviual files.
    I'm on a Mac, by the way.

My terminal ssh is blocked for some reason.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

sorry, without terminal access I can't think of any practical way to do it.
    It could be possible to upload a perl or php file to run the zip command for you, but it would be quite dependent on server settings, security etc.
    (and whether it is also a web server or just an ftp server)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

If you use the remotehelp command in FTP you could check to see if the MODE command is supported by the server. Depending on the server configuration, a compressed transfer mode might be supported. In that case, you would do something like
    ftp> quote mode Z

to switch to compressed transfer mode (that's just an example). You'd need to check with the FTP server admin if any such modes are supported.

Advertisement