Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Tahini?

• 07-08-2007 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to buy Tahini (sesame seed paste you use to make humous). I had a look in a few supermarkets but couldn't find any and I'd love to make my own humous. Would I need to get it in a health food shop or somewhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Any decent oriental supermarket will stock it - the Asia Market on Drury St. always has it, probably cheaper than the health food shops.

Health food shops all do it too - you don't say where you are, but try Nourish in Dublin.

You'll do well to get it in a supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Sorry, I'm based in South Dublin. I'll have a look in the nearest Asian food supermarket and see can I find it. There's one down the road so fingers crossed! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

I got some in Select stores in dalkey, they definitely have it. Dunno if that suits you.

Made some very VERY tasty hummus with it though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They have it in the So Kee Co in Inchicore.
    Avoca might have it too??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I got some from that chain of health food shops whose name goes out of my head. It's the one that always does the 1/2 price offers on health supplements., But there's one in Grafton Street and the 1st floor of St Stephens's Green beside Argos. They're also doing a 2 for 1 on pomegranate juice at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I got some in Select stores in dalkey, they definitely have it. Dunno if that suits you.

Made some very VERY tasty hummus with it though...

I live in Dalkey....that's perfect! Which one is the select store though?.. how embarassing I've lived there for a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

the two health food shops in dun laoghaire should have it too, if you are wandering about :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Be careful with tahini .. if you leave it in the jar for too long unused it starts to separate out, with the sesame oil floating to the top, and the paste in the bottom can be like concrete when it comes to trying to reconstitute it prior to use. I've bent plenty of spoons and forks trying to mix it all up again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Alun wrote:
    Be careful with tahini .. if you leave it in the jar for too long unused it starts to separate out, with the sesame oil floating to the top, and the paste in the bottom can be like concrete when it comes to trying to reconstitute it prior to use. I've bent plenty of spoons and forks trying to mix it all up again :)

Well True!

Select stores is the white kinda veg shop/cafe/deli at the end of the town across the road from say the IN pub and the AIB bank. They do some great stuff in there. Staff are as grumpy as sh1t, but when the food's that good, you don't care!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

I got a really great one in the Aisan Shop on that little street behind the Bleeding Horse. It's at the back of the Camden Hotel I think...it links onto South Richmond Street.
    It was genuine Lebanese Tahini in a plastic tub that seems to stop it from going solid. AND they had huge cans of chick peas.

Otherwise I've picked up Cypressa Tahini in a few of the independant health food places in Dublin....certainly in Next to Nature in Navan SC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

washiskin wrote:
    It was genuine Lebanese Tahini in a plastic tub that seems to stop it from going solid.
    I've got some of that too .. haven't opened it yet though. I'm intrigued as to how a plastic tub stops it from solidifying though :confused:

Advertisement