Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Collectors Thread

• 07-08-2007 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

As a kid, Pighead was a brilliant collector of stuff. Every Friday, Roy of the Rovers, Tree of Knowledge and a packet of Panini football stickers would wing their way into the bedroom courtesy of a strange gift bearing woman known as Mam.

Of course they all ended up ina big black bag and fcuked up into the attic. There must be thousands of dusty Roy of the Rovers up there. You'll often hear Pighead say "If you leave paperback publications somewhere dark and musty, then be fully prepared to find that they're dusty"

Unfortunately, the Tree of Knowledge and Roy of the Rovers ceased trading sometime back in the early 90's thus leaving Pighead with nothing to collect. My 20's were spent searching for something to religiously collect to fill the void. As the old saying goes "He who does not have a collection of some sort, is only but half a man"

Thought about becoming a tegestoligist or an arctophillist but eventually decided that being a Paroemiographer would make me happiest of all. At the end of the day "He who hesitates shall make a better decision in the end"

Pighead has friends who collect all manner of weird and wonderful things. Even on boards there seems to be a fondness for collecting stuff. DublinWriter is an avid collector of bans according to his sig, Beruthial collects cobwebs in her nether regions as she bravely sticks to her decision from 1997 to retire from riding, and Spankeh collects MAJD posts to masturbate over when he goes to bed.

Anyway what do you collect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Used to be a stamp collector when my name was Melvin.:( I bought a heap of stamps when I was younger from a collection place and auctions but missed the Penny Black. Beano comics and pogs for a short time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Callcards.. still have a good collection of them in an album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Vintage Star Wars figures.

Neeeerrrrrrdddddd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Had the first 1 to 200 episodes of the 2000AD comics when I were a lad, while out at school one day my dad put them all in a black plastic sack and gave them to the childrens ward on a local hospital, because he said they were a fire hazard. Still bitter about it to this day, the wonga they'd be worth now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I used to collect pogs... those things were awesome.

I also collected Pokemon... the cards, not the creatures.

Now I don't really collect anything except money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Had the first 1 to 200 episodes of the 2000AD comics when I were a lad, while out at school one day my dad put them all in a black plastic sack and gave them to the childrens ward on a local hospital, because he said they were a fire hazard. Still bitter about it to this day, the wonga they'd be worth now :(
    Progs! They were called progs.

Progs! They were called progs.

Damnit ! I was wracking my brain trying to think of that as I wrote the post ! Cheers that would have bugged me all day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Skulls from people who have crossed me the wrong way throughout life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I used to collect Kinder toys when I was a kid. My dad used to travel to Brussells a lot and would always come back with something for us, usually a Kinder egg for me, which is where it all started. Not sure if they've been thrown out, haven't seen them around the house in a while. I had over a hundred of the little blighters.

As an adult I don't really collect anything. I've a small collection of boardgames I suppose but nothing to shout about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Ruu wrote:
    Used to be a stamp collector when my name was Melvin.:( I bought a heap of stamps when I was younger from a collection place and auctions but missed the Penny Black. Beano comics and pogs for a short time.

I also collected stamps for ages..... oh the shame! I also have all the Bunty annuals for about 10 years. I got one from "Santa" every year. My mum says whenever she sees them at xmas she always considers buying me one, even though I'm about 15 years to old for them!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What are these pogs/progs that people are speaking of and what vintage are they? I used to have every Shoot/Match/Roy of the Rovers for several years as well as every sticker album and league ladders thingy going as a younng fella. Now all I collect is more volume for my midriff.

As I've gotten older I've aquired a nice collection of extra inches around my midrift :D

Edit : 5Starpool beat me to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I was an avid naval fluff collector until I saw this guys collection and became very disheartened that he had a better collection, plus he had some better colours as well, damn you Graham Barker :( So I gave up on that and I am now an avid beer gut collector sampling my way through the worlds best beers, not stopping until my collection is complete!

5starpool wrote:
    What are these pogs/progs that people are speaking of and what vintage are they?

Issue #1

200ad.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Issue #1

200ad.jpg
    Oh right. I was at a wedding yesterday so I only have memory capacity for about 2 posts. It is fairly obvious upon rereading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

fridge magnets. that is all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm sad enough to know that wasn't issue numero uno of 2000AD this was; www.2000adonline.com/books/assets/2000_ad_1.jpg Didn't google beyond the first page eh? Get back in your box ya newbie.......:D Worth a fair few quid that one. I've issue/prog 2 somewhere about the place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote:
    I'm sad enough to know that wasn't issue numero uno of 2000AD this was; www.2000adonline.com/books/assets/2000_ad_1.jpg Didn't google beyond the first page eh? Get back in your box ya newbie.......:D Worth a fair few quid that one. I've issue/prog 2 somewhere about the place.

Out Nerded ! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Out Nerded ! :D

He was out-nerded by the very nerd who was trying to out-nerd him. How ironic.

• Advertisement

He was out-nerded by the very nerd who was trying to out-nerd him. How ironic.

Subtle eh ? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Now I don't have to post in the how much of a geek are you thread now. You see, nerdy and efficient. There's a lesson in there for you all.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

See my sig ¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Do dead hookers count? :p

On a more serious note when i was a kid i was big into Games Workshop stuff. Still have shed loads of it in the parents gaff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Earthhorse wrote:

As an adult I don't really collect anything. I've a small collection of boardgames I suppose but nothing to shout about.
    Pighead strongly recommends you reaquaint yourself with the art of collecting. As the old saying goes "He who does not collect, will most likely fail to deliver"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I collect excuses to ban Pighead. ;)

Giblet wrote:
    I collect excuses to ban Pighead. ;)
    Pigheads days of getting banned are well and truly over. Impetuous, crabby Pighead has been replaced with something a lot more buddha like. Pighead loves everybody* on boards and thus will never again get himself in a position to be struck by the fearsome banhammer.

*Excluding Sarky, ShowMeYourXbox Peter Collins and 70% of the fat fcukers and baldie bastards.
    They're all cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead loves everybody* on boards and thus will never again get himself in a position to be struck by the fearsome banhammer.

*Excluding Sarky, ShowMeYourXbox Peter Collins...

You don't have to worry about Peter Trollins any more, Pighead. Good ol' Ruu opened a can of ban-ass on him. On-topic, I collect hangovers and orgasms myself.

agamemnon wrote:
    You don't have to worry about Peter Trollins any more, Pighead. Good ol' Ruu opened a can of ban-ass on him. On-topic, I collect hangovers and orgasms myself.
    He he he he he. Pighead hasn't been this happy since earlier on at lunchtime when I seen there was hot dogs in the canteen. Well done Ruu, your place in heaven is assured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

quotes.

and drinking bottles... we totally need to move our asses to the bottle bank...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Nine Inch Nails stuff, heres a picture of just the cds http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1493/dsc00604ll3.jpg

Also used to collect Beanos and Dandys as a child, still have a box full of them somewhere. also Pokemon card, god I love pokemon. i counted all of them one time and the total came to around 832 cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pighead wrote:
    As a kid, Pighead was a brilliant collector of stuff. ..Tree of Knowledge
    I used to collect ToK aswell, my dad used to get it free in the shop where he bought his smokes.

Now, I collect Pin-badges of football teams. It's one of the nice things about being in Div1, getting to go all these grounds and get them personally. I have a decent collection now, and my gf is buying me a fair few in every city she visits on a world tour too.

And they are cheap too, I get a good few rare Shels ones from eBay.

:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pighead wrote:
    Pigheads days of getting banned are well and truly over. Impetuous, crabby Pighead has been replaced with something a lot more buddha like. Pighead loves everybody* on boards and thus will never again get himself in a position to be struck by the fearsome banhammer.

*Excluding Sarky, ShowMeYourXbox Peter Collins and 70% of the fat fcukers and baldie bastards.
    They're all cnuts.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the amount of votes you had in the least favourite poster thread by any chance.

Pighead wrote:
    70% of the fat fcukers and baldie bastards.
    They're all cnuts.[/SIZE]

Don't worry ! There's a warm welcome waiting in the bar for you as well ! ;)

That wouldn't have anything to do with the amount of votes you had in the least favourite poster thread by any chance.
    What wouldn't have anything to do with the amount of votes Pighead got in th least favourite poster thread? :confused:

The fact that Pighead hates Sarky, Peter Collins ShowUsYourXbox and 70% of the fat fcukers and baldie bastards? Whats that got to do with the price of spuds?

Wake up AlmightyCushion, you're babbling incoherantly. Its almost 9.30 for goodness sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Don't worry ! There's a warm welcome waiting in the bar for you as well ! ;)

Is the BBQ all set up already? :p

Eh.............hmm, I don't seem to be collecting anything at the mo'. I do have an unhealthy amount of empty milk cartons and empty tins of beans around my flat but that's because I forgot to throw them into the recycling bag earlier, DURP!! :(

That and I'm building up quite a DVD collection from the Xtravision across the road, 3 movies for €20 and there's tons of hidden gems snuggled in between the..........eh, other classics like Beethoven 4.

Anyone see that godawful movie last night; Surviving The Game? Yeeesh!!

Pighead wrote:
    Impetuous, crabby Pighead has been replaced with something a lot more buddha like.

Sorry you obviously aren't as bright as I thought you were. I was asking would this have anything to do with you getting a lot of votes in the least favourite poster thread.

Sorry you obviously aren't as bright as I thought you were. I was asking would this have anything to do with you getting a lot of votes in the least favourite poster thread.
    Pighead relishes all those votes in the least favourite poster thread. Without hate there cannot be love. So if Pighead can inspire hatred amongst his fellow posters then inversely he is also creating love as well.

Some may call Pighead brave and heroic for taking all the hatred on board but to be honest its a labour of love.

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead relishes all those votes in the least favourite poster thread. Without hate there cannot be love. So if Pighead can inspire hatred amongst his fellow posters then inversely he is also creating love as well.

Some may call Pighead brave and heroic for taking all the hatred on board but to be honest its a labour of love.

Or it could be denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Enough.

• Advertisement

Or it could be denial.
    Pighead categorically denies being in denial. As you well know AlmightyCushion it's far easier to make a saint out of a libertine than out of a prig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I have a large collection of diesel engines at the farm, does that count?

I have a large collection of diesel engines at the farm, does that count?
    Of course it counts Mahatma, this thread is about collections and the fact that you pluralised "engine" indicates to Pighead that you've got more than one.

yeah
    2 single cyls
    a Vtwin
    2 4pots
    5 6cyls
    a V8

and 2 CAT marine V12's

tis more of a hobby tho than a collection, I intend to atach them to diferentthings and make my own fuel

I have a large collection of beer cans in my house that really need to be dumped.

yeah
    2 single cyls
    a Vtwin
    2 4pots
    5 6cyls
    a V8

and 2 CAT marine V12's

tis more of a hobby tho than a collection, I intend to atach them to diferentthings and make my own fuel
    The inventor of the diesel engine commited suicide almost a hundred years ago. You should invent a new fuel to coincide with his death. Respect to Rudolph Diesel.

well its not so much inventin a new fuel as reverting to his original design for the engines,the engine was invented towards the end of the 1800's and the fuel we call Diesel was invented in the 1930's

AAANYWAY, back on topic, I used to collect cigarette packets from different countries back before they started putting those stupid health warnins on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

never understood the need for people to collect without purpose. If it isn't functional in some form then what is the point in having it? I always ask myself "if I was running out of a burning house what would be the one thing I would take with me". The only thing I would take that I can't replace is my external hard drive full of personal photos and videos. Everything else is disposable. So if it isn't serving a purpose i'll get rid of it.

I understand collecting items which the collector hopes will one day be valuable (i.e. an investment). But pointlessly and neurotically collecting rubbish i'll never understand.

Advertisement