Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Visa electron?

Options
  • 07-08-2007 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Just after booking flights with Ryanair and as usual the €6 credit card fee left a bad taste in my mouth. However as I was booking I noticed that if using a visa electron card a much smaller charge is levied.

Whats a visa electron card? Also wht the eff dont they start accepting laser (apart from not being able to charge the said €6 fee!!!)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Think Laser card, but a visa electron also works as a visa card, and therefore works in every place as a planet [unlike Laser, which is republic only]..

So its also a debit card, so only spends money you actually have..

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

It's great. One thing I do like about laser cards is the "cash back" facility, which you don't get with a visa electron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

which firms in ireland supply visa electron credit cards? I book about 10 ryanair flights per year, quite a potential saving!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Is there a mastercard equivalent or is it strictly a visa thing. I had a debit card in Canada and it was dead convenient, the only thing putting me off getting a laser card is that its use is limited to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

which firms in ireland supply visa electron credit cards? I book about 10 ryanair flights per year, quite a potential saving!!

None, that I'm aware of.
    Is there a mastercard equivalent or is it strictly a visa thing. I had a debit card in Canada and it was dead convenient, the only thing putting me off getting a laser card is that its use is limited to Ireland.

The nearest thing to a Visa Election is the "Solo" card offered in the UK. In terms of debit cards in general, Maestro is their equivalent of Visa debit cards. AIB is issuing Maestro/Laser cards now, but unlike Visa debit cards they're not necessarily accepted everywhere Mastercard is, and online shopping etc isn't particularly easy as not all sites accept then, or some will only accept UK issued ones etc. Maestro cards don't travel quite as easily as Visa's debit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

Visa Electron can be used as a debit card. I don't have any credit card at all but this doesn't stop me from buying flights or train journeys on most sites. Very handy indeed.

I have one through my French bank account. I think UK banks offer something called the Visa Debit card. Open a non-residents account in either of those countries and ask for Visa Electron. Much cheaper charges than Mastercard or regular Visa plus there's no risk of you spending money you don't have so you can control your finances better.

Aer Lingus also accept Visa Electron, as does Amazon I think.

How much was the charge for paying by Visa Electron on the Ryanair site by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I got a Visa debit card when opening my Halifax account. Zero charges and as you say, you only spend trhe money that you actually have - which is a very good thing!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement