Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu on Dell Inspiron upgrade or not?

Options
  • 07-08-2007 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I have a 7 year old Dell Inspiron 5000 running Ubuntu linux 6.06 for the last few months. I like the machine and want to keep using it for web stuff and blogging at home. However, it is quite slow and notwithstanding that I am using the KDE ui, is it worth spending a couple of hundred on upgrading the processor / memory / other components to make it slightly less turn of the century? I do not intend doing any alterations myself. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

Details of the current config below:

Inspiron 5000E1
    Inspiron 5000 PIII 600/1 5.0"XGA 0MB EME1
    Inspiron 5000 Keyboard N BK UK1
    Doc Inspiron 5000 UK / I RELAND1
    Inspiron 5000 12.0GB ID E Hard Drive1
    128MB SDRAM Memory (1 x 128MB) - now 256mb
    **Inspiron 5000 CD-ROM 32X Drive1
    Inspiron 5000 ZIP DRIVE 100M RMS CD1
    8MB Video Card VGA, Mobil ity-P1
    *ActionTec Internal 56K Modem IRE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

I'm not sure you could do much to upgrade it.
    It originally had 128MB and if it's now 256MB then
    there are more than likely no more free RAM slots. You would probably have to take out 1*128 and put in a larger module but you'd have to make sure the slot could take it. Might be hard to find RAM to suit.

The CPU is the only other thing you could upgrade. You would have to know what the max speed the motherbaord will take. It's not going to be easy to get PIII processors anymore though.

Could be an expensive upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭10-10-20

As far as I could work out, the fastest CPU which was shipped on this system was a 650MHz PIII, so no real gains could be made in changing from a 600MHz.
    There are also 81 screws involved in stripping down this beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

motherboards and ram aside - and thanks for the advice - but 81 screws!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

is it worth spending a couple of hundred on upgrading

a couple of hundred euro would get you a different laptop completely that's twice as "powerful".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Suggesting here that I buy a new laptop of try and upgrade the old one? :confused:
    a couple of hundred euro would get you a different laptop completely that's twice as "powerful".

UPDATE: saw on ZDNet that Dell UK are now offering laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled and went to configure one of their Inspiron 6400n(N08645L)'s and it comes in at 420stg - about 620 yoyos. Perhaps it is time to splash? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

KDE is probably killing it , install a lghtweight manager and see if it helps.

Advertisement