Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who drink in parks

• 07-08-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Genuine question (and I'm assuming there are some of the aforementioned people on here who can answer): Why do you leave your cans/bottles lying all over the park?

You brought them to the park in a bag, why not bring them back out of the park in a bag? It generally isn't hard to find a bin, some parks even have them.

It's just something that gets on my nerves. I generally don't have a problem with the whole drinking in the park thing (it can be really obnoxious, and sometimes menacing for others, but at the end of the day it's a public park which means anyone can use it) but why ruin the area for everyone. Little kids shouldn't have to see that at the playground, and other people don't want to see it. I don't get why when neighbourhoods are given green spaces to use that some people don't give a ****. I won't get started on the number of burnt trees I've seen lately.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, that gets my goat too. Even if me and my buddies go drinking in a park / beach and we're surrounded in other people's rubbish we still put all our empty cans and food into bags.

Still, not much you can do to those who do rubbish. Unless it's some young fella's we know then we tell them to clean up after themselves. Our town is full enough of shít already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

Rubbish bins where I live are rarely used, everything goes on the floor for the council to pickup, its embarrasing, due to the fact that we have alot of French, German and Amercian's working locally. They are always asking why the Irish throw all their rubbish on the ground. The park might aswell be re-named "beer can central".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

You're asking people who knacker drink why they litter. What do you expect?

I figure they're attitude is they've broken one law, why not break another? Either that or they're just scumbags. Whichever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Happens fairly often in the secluded park near where i live. The drunks spend quite a lot of time there as well. I think someone actually goes around tidying it up though as quite often you'll see cans/bags everywhere in the morning and when you return later that afternoon its all cleared.

Does the council do this or is some private citizen on park patrol?

Funny how whenever you ask people to clear up afterthemselves you're told to mind your own business.....and here was me thinking i was minding my own business in an attempt to keep the park clean :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

you know what really grinds my gears..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lol, like the little knacker kids who drink in parks are going to care about littering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

when i was knacker drinking regularly(5/6 years ago) id put my cans in the bin and still do if we are on the beach in the park on a sunny day drinking

rb_ie wrote:
    Lol, like the little knacker kids who drink in parks are going to care about littering.

If only is was just the parks, it's the whole area, its littered with rubbish. This morning I noticed that someone has again dumped their household waste on the side of the road for the council to remove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Aye its a pity

You;d think with the greens in power they would implement a money back recycling system. Like they have in Germany, Sweden, Norway etc. Whereby every returned glass bottle, plastic bottle, cans etc you get 10cent. Bingo you;ve just created a source of income for kids and the homeless. Whenever you have a party you can make some money out of the mess. People recycle more, feel better about themselves, make money, areas are waste free / look cleaner. Its simple (well if its not im sure someone will point it out)

Come on greens get your finger out

c0rk3r wrote:
    Aye its a pity

You;d think with the greens in power they would implement a money back recycling system. Like they have in Germany, Sweden, Norway etc. Whereby every returned glass bottle, plastic bottle, cans etc you get 10cent. Bingo you;ve just created a source of income for kids and the homeless. Whenever you have a party you can make some money out of the mess. People recycle more, feel better about themselves, make money, areas are waste free / look cleaner. Its simple (well if its not im sure someone will point it out)

Come on greens get your finger out

Well technically speaking such a system exists in many areas because people are now being charged on the amount of waste they put in their regular bins, or by the frequency they put their bins out for collection.

Even with four people in my house we only need to put our main bin out once a fortnight because we recycle everything we can - paper/cardboard, glass, plastic, food waste etc. Before the green bin was brought in we'd be filling the bin week in, week out.

So we're halving our potential waste bill as a result.

But this post is about asking knacker drinkers to consider the environment, which just aint gonna happen. Even if there was a buy back system it wouldn't make a lick of difference; we already have the laws (prohibition of the consumption of alcohol in public areas and general littering laws) to tackle the problem, they're just not enforced.

• Advertisement

flogen wrote:
    But this post is about asking knacker drinkers to consider the environment, which just aint gonna happen......................................You're asking people who knacker drink why they litter. What do you expect?
    I figure they're attitude is they've broken one law, why not bread comek another? Either that or they're just scumbags. Whichever.

You're making an assumption here that all people who drink in public are the lowest of the low and that they all litter. Not all knacker drinkers are thicko scumbags who wouldn't know how to spell "environment", let alone give a crap about it.

Your two posts above are very preachy, and you come across with a very haughty, "holier-than-thou" attitude. Have you never drank in a park/field/whatever? Never got pissed while camping? Or brought cans/drink to a festival? I'm willing to bet you have, so I'd like to know what your response would be if I came up to you at a festival or whatever and called you a scumbag and asked you why you litter?

Also, if you're really that concerned about the environment, then why not tackle bigger/more damaging problems? Do you consider people who throw smoke butts out of car windows scumbags? What about yummy-mummy types who drive gas-guzzling SUV's?

rb_ie wrote:
    ......Lol, like the little knacker kids who drink in parks are going to care about littering.

See above.

Sitting in the sunshine (when we have sunshine that is) and having a few cans is immensely more enjoyable than going to the boozer. Beer gardens a decent compromise but they're few and far between. Well, the good ones anyway. Al fresco, you don't have to deal with a) extortionate prices, b) Queing, c) the smell out of the jacks (very few places in town have decent toilets) d) notbeing able to smoke, e) the smell off other people that the cigarette smoke used to mask, and f) dickhead bouncers and bar staff who are a law unto themselves. Plus, you get to sit in the sun!!!

I insist on cleaning up after myself and anyone else that is in my party, and i'll make a point of letting them know about it if they don't pick up after themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

are the irish the litter-bugs of europe??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Nothing like chilling out in Herbert Park on a sunny day with one or two cold ones!

Those who leave them behind afterwards however, are either silly kids, skangers, or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

philstar wrote:
    are the irish the litter-bugs of europe??

The Irish are the everything of Europe.

$hify, please don't mention that festival again, even with a "P" in front of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

You kinda went of in a different direction to where i was heading flogen
    c0rk3r wrote:
    . Bingo you;ve just created a source of income for kids and the homeless.

What i imagine would happen is that an army of kids and hobos will roam the city with trolleys collecting as many bottles,cans etc as possible. In the process cleaning up the streets and making some money. As i witnessed in koln

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Whereby every returned glass bottle, plastic bottle, cans etc you get 10cent.
    You are charged that 10cent on top of the normal price when you buy them however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

It's simple Irish scumisms 'I'm hard and don't give a bollox loike'.

Sure I was gong off into town last weekend so I was waiting on the bus. A couple of scummers were about 5 feet from the bin yet threw their bottles on the road and smashed them. They just want the hard man image, I live in Knocklyon and most of these guys go home and are all "Oh hullo mummy, I believe I shall have some tea with short bread buscuits after brunch, mmm scrumptious".

You get that in Leixlip too.
    All tracksuited up, baseball cap and the works. Store bought Dublin accent. Throwing shapes wherever they go.
    Say boo! to them and they run home crying. jackasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

flogen wrote:

I figure they're attitude is they've broken one law, why not break another? Either that or they're just scumbags. Whichever.

Oh God, I am so ashamed, but I was one of those scumbags.

When I was about 16 I got into the whole knacker drinking thing for a couple of months.

I started hanging around with a group of girls, who where really into knacker drinking, and all things classed as Antisocial Behaviour.

They started to bring me along with them, and being the impressionable twit that I was, I just went with it.

We would get a group of older 'scum bag' lads to buy our drink for us, and sit around like idiots in a freezing cold park, acting far drunker then we actually were, and pretending to have way more fun then anyone could actually have while sipping cider in a public park.

I was an idiot, I would have called myself a scumbag, and I'm genuinely embarrassed I ever partook in the whole scene in the first place.

Thankfully I saw the light, and cut the girls, and that lifestyle out completely.

But that still doesn't change the fact that for those few months I was just as bad as every knacker drinking scumbag I give out about today.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Pfft Doyler. A lot of us did it who weren't scummers. We just had no where else to go.

Simple as this; our mamies wouldn't let us do it but we were going to do it anyway so it had to be a secret. no where else but a field.

• Advertisement

You're making an assumption here that all people who drink in public are the lowest of the low and that they all litter. Not all knacker drinkers are thicko scumbags who wouldn't know how to spell "environment", let alone give a crap about it.

No, I'm not. I'm making the assumption that most people who decide to break drinking laws probably aren't going to be too concerned about littering - most people in Ireland don't care about their litter anyway so they're not much different from the "norm"
    Your two posts above are very preachy, and you come across with a very haughty, "holier-than-thou" attitude. Have you never drank in a park/field/whatever? Never got pissed while camping? Or brought cans/drink to a festival? I'm willing to bet you have, so I'd like to know what your response would be if I came up to you at a festival or whatever and called you a scumbag and asked you why you litter?

Firstly there's no comparison between drinking on an area of a camping site that you've rented and drinking in a public park. Partly because camping sites are privately owned land and the owner can make the call on whether he wants alcohol consumed there or not. Same applies to festivals.

Secondly, I'm not getting holier than thou, of course I've drank in places I shouldn't have when I was younger. I didn't do it for very long because it was a pretty shítty experience but I'm not assuming that all who knacker drink are litterers - it's just not a huge leap to assume that litter is at the bottom of their priorities list when they decide to drink in a public park.
    Also, if you're really that concerned about the environment, then why not tackle bigger/more damaging problems? Do you consider people who throw smoke butts out of car windows scumbags? What about yummy-mummy types who drive gas-guzzling SUV's?

So we should not make any complaints about litter unless we're going to simultaneously complain about all types of environmental damage? Don't be so ridiculous - this thread is specifically about people who knacker drink and litter, it's not a general "what type of environmental damage do you hate most" thread so don't try and paint people a hypocrite just because they don't cover every single angle and issue of a topic in everything they say.

You seem awfully defensive about the whole thing, though, so you obviously assume that I'm calling you a knacker too. You don't need to be told by someone on a forum what you are or are not so don't get so hung up on what I say.

layke wrote:
    Pfft Doyler. A lot of us did it who weren't scummers. We just had no where else to go.

Simple as this; our mamies wouldn't let us do it but we were going to do it anyway so it had to be a secret. no where else but a field.
    Of course everyone went through that phase.
    We used to bin the cans.
    The cops walked up to us one night, explained that as long as we just drank our cans, put them in the bin (which was about 10 feet away) and didn't cause any trouble, that we were free to stay there as long as we wanted.
    It made their job easier because there were never any complaints made about us.

Every so often you would get a few assholes who would act the ****, but we would just send them off elsewhere. We were not going to let them take our beautiful riverside drinking spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I've only ever went drinking outdoors since i started college, galway has a certain attitude that allows this, now obviously you have the scumbags drinking druids and buckfast on the street all year, but once the good weather starts you'll have hoards of students on eyre square, down by the spanish arch or out in salthill drinking and most of the students pick up their rubbish.

I would rarely go drinking outdoors, but it would usually involve a couple of cans, 2 or 3 at most. i'm no scumbag, saying that i would never drink outdoors in Sligo, my home town, as only the homeless, wee scumbags and the chronic alcos would drink in the town itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ill answer that with a We didnt,

when we where younger that drunk who lived under the bridge used to tell us about why not to leave cans around ect, that if your in a estate its less likley the gardai will be called if you clean up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

What i imagine would happen is that an army of kids and hobos will roam the city with trolleys collecting as many bottles,cans etc as possible. In the process cleaning up the streets and making some money. As i witnessed in koln
    Works over here too. Its a few cents that was added onto your drink when you bought it, but with the price of drinks over here and their taxes you don't really notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

JIZZLORD wrote:
    galway has a certain attitude that allows this, now obviously you have the scumbags drinking druids and buckfast on the street all year, but once the good weather starts you'll have hoards of students on eyre square, down by the spanish arch or out in salthill drinking and most of the students pick up their rubbish.

Mmmm i take it your not in Galway too many years then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

well i'm on about the other students that i've drank with, i know some lads who couldnt care less though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

rb_ie wrote:

If only it was just the little knacker kids! I've seen plenty of so called adults leave their **** behind them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Terry wrote:
    The cops walked up to us one night, explained that as long as we just drank our cans, put them in the bin (which was about 10 feet away) and didn't cause any trouble, that we were free to stay there as long as we wanted.
    It made their job easier because there were never any complaints made about us.

Anybody think that something like this would work? Where there are bins and signs at the entrances to the parks/green areas saying something along the lines of "We don't mind you drinking here as long as you're not causing trouble, but please put your rubbish in this bin on the way out" or would that be naive thinking?

• Advertisement

The signs would be ripped down and rubbish taken from the bins and strewn everywhere as a sign of defiance.

It worked with us because the cops asked us, rather than demanding that we obey them.
    That and the fact that we liked drinking in that place and didn't want it ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Exit wrote:
    Genuine question (and I'm assuming there are some of the aforementioned people on here who can answer): Why do you leave your cans/bottles lying all over the park?

You brought them to the park in a bag, why not bring them back out of the park in a bag? It generally isn't hard to find a bin, some parks even have them.

Pub equivalent; You brought them from the bar to your seat, why not bring the empties back to the bar? and so the training begins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RattenKrieg

as I mentioned in the other thread - have a look at Fairview park after a GAA Cup game or whatever it's called, the "Dubs" make a total mess of it, and the surrounding areas, they should be banned from Croke Park and fined for doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Pub equivalent; You brought them from the bar to your seat, why not bring the empties back to the bar? and so the training begins...
    Are you for real, or did i miss the sarcasm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

kids will be kids!!! its not all that hard to put an empty bottle into a bag when you drink it!!!! pick it up and throw it into a bin somewhere along the way!!!
    people have no respect anymore!!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

flogen wrote:

Not everyone who drinks in a park leaves litter, just like not everyone who drinks in a park is a knacker.

By the way, I don't drink in parks, just to let you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

c0rk3r wrote:
    Aye its a pity

flogen wrote:
    Well technically speaking such a system exists in many areas because people are now being charged on the amount of waste they put in their regular bins, or by the frequency they put their bins out for collection.

It's don't think they're really the same thing mate. One is positive reinforcement (rewarding those who recycle), the other is still costing people more than they used to pay for refuse collection before the changeover. Therefore they're not benefitting from the system by recycling, they're just suffering less, if you catch my drift. Although it is similar in principal, it isn't really to the individual IMO.

kids will be kids!!! its not all that hard to put an empty bottle into a bag when you drink it!!!! pick it up and throw it into a bin somewhere along the way!!!
    people have no respect anymore!!!:confused:

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/travel-leisure/Our_oceans_are_turning_into_plastic_are_we.shtml

Advertisement