Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm in the market for a new car ... suggestions please

Options
  • 07-08-2007 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

I'm going to change cars in early 2008 and have a budget of approximately €30,000.

I'm looking and thinking at the moment and have narrowed my choices down to the following...
    VW Passat (new)
    Volvo S40 (new)
    Audi A4 (probably 2 years old)
    Peugeot 407 (new)

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on my choices or any other options I should consider.

I was also wondering if anyone has any advice on the whole "new car" V "old car" debate ... would a new 08 Passat be better than a 06 A4.

Thanks in advance

G23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Engine Size and Fuel Type factors?
    I if you dont mind paying more Tax I always recommend buying larger, big engined cars due to the Irish publics love for poky 1.6's and below pushing the prices down on everything deemed "big".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Engine size and fuel type not too much of a factor.

(Altho the "flexifuel" S40 is interesting and I love the VRT reduction!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Just had a quick scan on Carzone... Some of my choices would be (quite a mixed bag)...

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=661103
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=754487
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=728236
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=739683
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=740358
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=748829
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=641799
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=497029

Just my preference, but I wouldn't be into any of your choices other than an A4 and at that it would have to be a 1.8T.

I wouldn't care about dropping down a couple of years providing the mileage is not too high. Last year I bought an 02 car with just 23k on the clock. Enabled me to buy a spec and engine way above what I could have ever hoped for. When I see the likes of 07 Audi A4 1.6 cars with cloth seats I have a wee snigger to myself. Only in Ireland. :confused:

Wow ... thank you Jabberwocky for those excellent suggestions. Looks like €30,000 will buy a hell of a car.

You have set me thinking (and confused my even more!!!).

Any more suggestions (especially suggestions on Jabberwocky's recommendations) much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

That's the point - 30k will absolutely buy you a cracking motor - and you will have thousands of options for that sort of cash - which is why I wouldn't get why you would be into something as dull (my opinion only, of course) as a Passat or 406 or something like that. For that sort of money - I would be looking for something a bit more stylish with leather, air con, climate control, cruise control etc. but most importantly over 160BHP. :) You won't need to drop down too low in the years to get all of the above.

• Advertisement

That's the point - 30k will absolutely buy you a cracking motor - and you will have thousands of options for that sort of cash - which is why I wouldn't get why you would be into something as dull (my opinion only, of course) as a Passat or 406 or something like that. For that sort of money - I would be looking for something a bit more stylish with leather, air con, climate control, cruise control etc. but most importantly over 160BHP. :) You won't need to drop down too low in the years to get all of the above.

Thanks again ... if you have any more suggestions I'd love to hear them ... I've been looking at carzone for the last 20 minutes and getting more and more confused ... I'm not really a petrolhead ... (me dashes off to view the entire last series of "topgear"...)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

50% VRT reduction for hybrids and flexi fuel vehicles ending 31st December 2007.

EDIT: Can't find where I read that, I don't think I imagined it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Mortmain

Just traded in a volvo S40 1.6D sport - cracking car and loved every minute in it, it was returning close to 55mpg (mostly motorway driving), the kit out is top notch and the cabin is just a lovely place to be. On the downside, servicing is a tad pricey and the early years depreciation could be better but all-in-all, i'd heartily recommend it. Hated to see it go but we got a big dog and had to change - bought a new outlander and it's a cracker. Not as refined inside but 140bhp from a 2litre which returns just off 50mpg - does me.

Good luck with the hunt:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

My personal choice would be an Alfa GT JTD; 45 mpg in style and your budget will buy you a nice one from 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Save yourself 7K and get one of these - spend the savings on petrol and a nice holiday.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=761695

Better than any of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

cancan wrote:
    Save yourself 7K and get one of these - spend the savings on petrol and a nice holiday.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=761695

Better than any of the above.

Too cheap for what it claims to be.I'd be wary of that one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

colm_mcm wrote:
    50% VRT reduction for hybrids and flexi fuel vehicles ending 31st December 2007.

Colm, Where did you find that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There was a thread about it here recently. I think the concensus was that there's changes coming to the VRT system next year.

Also that legacy spec b above - no plates - I wonder has VRT been paid at the price they're asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

dingding wrote:
    Colm, Where did you find that?

It is a known fact, and can be found in one of the Finance Acts. Not sure which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Budget 2006 provided for a new 50% VRT relief for flexible fuel vehicles. This scheme along with the 50% VRT relief scheme for hybrid cars has been extended to end – 2007.

Found it here:- DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE

AGREED PROGRAMME FOR GOVERNMENT PROGRESS REPORT APRIL 2007

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Gandalf23 wrote:
    I'm going to change cars in early 2008 and have a budget of approximately €30,000.

I'm looking and thinking at the moment and have narrowed my choices down to the following...
    VW Passat (new)
    Volvo S40 (new)
    Audi A4 (probably 2 years old)
    Peugeot 407 (new)

I'm looking at pretty much the same thing and the 407 just shades it - it is a very pretty car (external).

Merrion wrote:
    I'm looking at pretty much the same thing and the 407 just shades it - it is a very pretty car (external).
    it'll probably cost you more than all the others when resale value is taken into consideration

there#s a mew Mazda6 on the way, might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Hard to make a recommendation as you don't say whether the car needs to haul around babies/stuff, what mileage you do, how long you intend to keep the car, what car you currently have and how you find it.

If the guy isn't a petrolhead I don't know why people are recommending cars such as the Subaru Legacy Turbo. From what's been posted so far it sounds to me like a new Corolla D4D saloon might be closer to the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

The Good/Bad/Ugly guide on CarMagazine is a usefull comparison site FYI...

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions people ... much appreciated ... keep them coming!

I dont think the Subaru is really for me tho, and I hate Toyota!

BrianD3 wrote:
    Hard to make a recommendation as you don't say whether the car needs to haul around babies/stuff, what mileage you do, how long you intend to keep the car, what car you currently have and how you find it.

If the guy isn't a petrolhead I don't know why people are recommending cars such as the Subaru Legacy Turbo. From what's been posted so far it sounds to me like a new Corolla D4D saloon might be closer to the mark.

Ok, good point. I'll be driving from Kildare to Dublin a few times a week. Other than that it'll be normal enough I suppose ... maybe about 30,000 km a year (at a guess). Its just me and the g/f (she has own car) so no babies! I'll keep the car about 3 or 4 years I suppose.

I'm seriously thinking about some of the suggestions from Jabberwocky above. I think it makes sense to get a 2 -3 year old car rather than a new one. I'm thinking A4, Volvo S60, BMW, and Saab now ... definately possible for €30,000 by the looks of carzone. I really like the thoughts of the luxury end stuff :-)

Keep the suggestions coming...

a late 2005 Lexus IS220D may fall into budget next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Passat is a better option than the A4. A4 is very far from luxury. Cramped inside, and even the S-line has windy windows in the back.
    Saab 93 is a total disappointment, I loved them until I drove one. The Alfa 159 is better built, infinitely better looking, and has the same Diesel engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=746793

Not really sure if you want a cruiser or a sporty car.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Biro wrote:
    even the S-line has windy windows in the back.

Amazing what will put people off a car. If you have kids as I do, windy windows in the back are great - saves them pricking about with (and probably eventually breaking) 'leccy ones.

@ OP: You'd probably be best going diesel if doing 30,000km per annum, unless you'd really not like a diesel. Personally speaking, I'd rather spend less on the car and a bit more on juice to get a nice petrol rather than drive a diesel, although the modern diesels are getting better. If going the A4 route (which I'd recommend, but I have a vested interest :D ), you'd be best going 2005 onwards to get the 2 litre diesel (140bhp and more refined than the 1.9) - you should get an '05 A4 for well under your budget next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Gandalf23 wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions people ... much appreciated ... keep them coming!

I dont think the Subaru is really for me tho, and I hate Toyota!

As a matter of intrest,any reason why you not into a Subaru ? I can see the down sides of the spec b but the basic Legacy is top class motor.Just so reliable.So much better than the stuff coming out of Europe,especially the alpha's.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

,especially the alpha's.;)

They are much like the Omegas by all accounts... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

As a matter of intrest,any reason why you not into a Subaru ? I can see the down sides of the spec b but the basic Legacy is top class motor.Just so reliable.So much better than the stuff coming out of Europe,especially the alpha's.;)

Seconded and tripled. If you can cast aside the "boy racer image" for a second or two, and look at the range objectively, you'd hopefully see for yourself that you get at least just as much motor for your money with Subaru, than with Volvo, Pug and the others - not to mention much better driveability (irrespective of engine configuration).

The main downside of Subaru is economy.

The main advantage *proven consistently over any brand you care to name* is reliability.

And the trump card? Probably the best permanent 4WD system for this size of car (which explains the economy figures away - can't have your cake and eating it I'm afraid). For (my own) family reasons, 4WD takes precedence for me: one of the greatest unacknowledged security features to have in a car, especially a 'normal-sized' car with a low centre of gravity.

[whisper]Plus, they are currently in a big corporate drive to shake off the "boy racer image" and rightly position themselves more clearly as an Audi/Beemer equivalent - so there are very very good deals to be had ;) - this from a reliable main stealer, confirmed since by another[/whisper]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

/me plays the vRS card again... though there is a certain amount of badge snobbery :(

that or a honda accord 2.2 exec

Advertisement