Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm in the market for a new car ... suggestions please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

For an extra 2 grand you could have this... Low enough mileage for a Diesel. You might even haggle it back to close to 30.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=610052

For an extra 2 grand you could have this... Low enough mileage for a Diesel. You might even haggle it back to close to 30.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=610052

Actually - on closer inspection, that might not include VRT. Doesn't say and it's a UK reg. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I had a similar predicament - test drove a load of cars and ended up with a 5 series, well under budget, but feeling like I'd bought a car that cost 3 times my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

PauloMN wrote:
    Amazing what will put people off a car. If you have kids as I do, windy windows in the back are great - saves them pricking about with (and probably eventually breaking) 'leccy ones.

The great thing about rear electric windows is you can switch them off or control them from the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

PauloMN wrote:
    Amazing what will put people off a car. If you have kids as I do, windy windows in the back are great - saves them pricking about with (and probably eventually breaking) 'leccy ones.

@ OP: You'd probably be best going diesel if doing 30,000km per annum, unless you'd really not like a diesel. Personally speaking, I'd rather spend less on the car and a bit more on juice to get a nice petrol rather than drive a diesel, although the modern diesels are getting better. If going the A4 route (which I'd recommend, but I have a vested interest :D ), you'd be best going 2005 onwards to get the 2 litre diesel (140bhp and more refined than the 1.9) - you should get an '05 A4 for well under your budget next year.
    Well, the windy windows is just to highlight that you spend 10 grand more for an A4 over a Passat, get a smaller car with less in it. And to top it all off, they give you a one year warranty.
    One year. I'm really amazed that instead of shaking your hand on a deal when you decide to buy one that instead the dealer slaps you in the face, because the warranty really amounts to that. It's a disgrace. And serves to prove how little faith Audi have in their recent shoddy workmanship.

• Advertisement

Don't get me started on how overpriced A3's and A4's are!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PauloMN wrote:

Some how I don't think Audi were thinking of anything as noble as child safety when they were putting rear windy windows in their cars. More like typical VAG stinginess.

Any decent car maker worth their salt these days fits a master switch for the driver to take control globally of all electric windows. We have a toddler and we have never had any problems with rear electric windows.

Rear manual windows on a car that cost the bones of €45k new is shocking these days imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Suppose, it's just that electric rear windows are way way down my priority list, so I didn't really give the lack of them a second thought. I drive the car and I have them in the front, all that matters to me. I'd rather no electric windows in the back than to have to sit in a Japanese interior every single day.

Each to their own I suppose. If you don't mind driving a Passat, or an Avensis, you wouldn't want an A4. The OP has hinted that those cars don't do it for him if you read his posts, so there's no point in going on about the lack of rear windows in an A4, or the merits of a Subaru, or the utter reliability of an Avensis, or how good a 3 year new car warranty is when he's listing 2nd hand Audis, BMWs, Saabs and Volvos as the type of cars he thinking about.

Commited basically sums it up. Buy a couple of years older and get something you could never afford new. I could have got a new Kia or Toyota or Nissan if I wanted a nice long warranty, but unfortunately that warranty doesn't cover the "what if I'd bought the car I really wanted" problems I'd have had every time I stepped into the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Too cheap for what it claims to be.I'd be wary of that one

Especially since this guy isn't at all cheap to buy from, nor is Limerick in general from the average carzone prices around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

I know you have dismissed the Legacy already. I have a 2.5 estate and seriously I can not fault it. Just sticking my oar in. Worth another look maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I really want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread... excellent replies and I appreciate the advice and opinions very much.

Based on some of the suggestions I took a test drive in a BMW 316 earlier today. As I said above I dont really know a lot about cars, but I absolutely loved it. Best car I've test driven... in my humble opinion better than the Saab 93, Volvo S40 or Audi A4. So looks like my choice is made!!!

Its a little out of my original price range mentioned above, so I've decided to save all my pennies and wait till Feb/March 2008. At that stage I'll hopefully pick up a 2007 model with low mileage for somewhere around €33.

So experts, any opinions on my choice of the BMW 316 !!????!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Gandalf23 wrote:

I'd be suprised if many are positive - but if it floats your boat, more power to you.

1.6 litres of roaring german power!

There are more interesting ways to drop 33 grand I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 freq modulated

Hope you didnt rule out a VW Golf TD(red I). This is the pinnacle of car ownership. In recent m50 tests it has proved faster than a ferrari and fact is, it will get you more girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Do you currently drive a 1.0l -1.2l car. As this would explain the same impressed view of the 316 that I had??

It's not all that great, buy the Volvo if that's what you're after

Gandalf23 wrote:
    I really want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread... excellent replies and I appreciate the advice and opinions very much.

You're welcome.
    Gandalf23 wrote:
    Based on some of the suggestions I took a test drive in a BMW 316 earlier today. Best car I've test driven... in my humble opinion better than the Saab 93, Volvo S40 or Audi A4. So looks like my choice is made!!!

Don't remember anyone recommending an S40, but I could be wrong...
    Gandalf23 wrote:
    Best car I've test driven...

Now I know for certain you've never driven the S60 - which is a 2.0 LPT (Low pressure turbo) with 185 BHP, and bags of Luxury.
    Gandalf23 wrote:
    I've decided to save all my pennies and wait till Feb/March 2008. At that stage I'll hopefully pick up a 2007 model with low mileage for somewhere around €33. So experts, any opinions on my choice of the BMW 316 !!????!!

You want my opinion, that's a bitterly disappointing outcome to this thread and one which I just can't understand. But hey, as someone else said, whatever floats your boat. I wish you luck and hope it brings you every happiness. If you want to know why I'll elaborate - but the way I see it, it's a highly subjective thing, one mans 07 BMW is another mans 03 Volvo, so who am I to argue. May she wear well fella - good luck. :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Gandalf23 wrote:

I think we'll ALL agree that you should at least take some more test drives before parting with €30k of hard-earned for a 316i. :eek: Seriously, do test drive some of your other favourites before you finally decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=701578

(not that I particularly like it, and I'm about as Anti-Renault as they come, but...) future classic in the making, ticks all the boxes. Reportedly the best production car they've ever made yet (quality/workmanship/etc.).

jaysus, after all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Your mad to be looking at Passats and 407s and not even considering the new mondeo. For the money you would get one with a savage spec. Here in the UK cruise control is standard accross the range. It looks a lot better than the previous model too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

colm_mcm wrote:
    jaysus, after all that!

"Heathens, I tell thee, heathens... all of them!" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

Gandalf23 wrote:

Based on some of the suggestions I took a test drive in a BMW 316 earlier today. As I said above I dont really know a lot about cars, but I absolutely loved it. Best car I've test driven... in my humble opinion better than the Saab 93, Volvo S40 or Audi A4. So looks like my choice is made!!!

Its a little out of my original price range mentioned above, so I've decided to save all my pennies and wait till Feb/March 2008. At that stage I'll hopefully pick up a 2007 model with low mileage for somewhere around €33.

With all due respect you seem to be fixated on the Badge and the plate.

1. BMW make some cracking cars. The 316 is not one of them. Ireland is the only market to get the 316 and that's purely down to badge snobbery and taxation. The engine is deemed gutless and totally insufficient for the car. If you really like the 3 series, then get the best 320d you can get for your money.

2. Why the fixation on the registration plate? As I pointed out, go for the best 320d you can get for your €30k. The year of the car shouldn't matter, the condition of the car does. It's because of customers like you we have the ridiculous amount of perfectly good used cars sitting in used car sales yards. There are thousands of bargains to be had. Go out and find one.

Depreciation is the single biggest cost in owning a car. Get one where the big chunk has already been taken and you'll be happier. Get a car in which some clown has paid €3000 for leather, an extra which will only cost you €500, used. If you feel the cost of running something bigger than a 316 is prohibitive, then factor in the depreciation and you'll see how big a car you could actually run, if you choose one further down the depreciation curve.

Either way, best of luck with your choice and , safe driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

If the OP likes the badge and the year... then so be it. If a 1.6 engine is plenty sufficient for his needs, then so be it. The 316i is the best selling 3 series, and due to the continuing demand holds it value exceptionally well.

Personally it wouldn't be my choice, but it is a valid choice.

.. then again this is boards, so expect people to start recommending you buy an m3 or Audi Rs4...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=724964

Buy and Astra with the change, for getting the kids around ;)

You know you want to!

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=724964

Buy and Astra with the change, for getting the kids around ;)

You know you want to!

And don't forget the hairy chest, thick mustache and Higgins. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Wow!!! Thanks again for all the interest and responses to this thread!

OK, ye all have me thinking again. I'm surprised by the opposition to the BMW. To be honest I was considering the badge... I always liked the thoughts of owning a BMW... but hopefully I'm not blinded by the badge if its a crap car. I suppose I just havent driven enough other cars... I've only ever owned VW Golfs, and my current one (yes, it is red...) is 7 years old. I suppose anything else I drive seems shiny and new and I'm dazzled by a (even slight) performance bump.

So I'm gonna save my pennies anyway, keep my eyes (and mind) open, and drive as much test cars as possible over the next few months. I'll also be keeping my eyes on this excellent section of Boards (very impressed by the knowledge and opinions here), and with any luck I'll have a shiny new (new to me that is... definitely not buying brand new car... ) car in early 2008!

Gandalf23 wrote:
    Wow!!! Thanks again for all the interest and responses to this thread!

OK, ye all have me thinking again. I'm surprised by the opposition to the BMW. To be honest I was considering the badge... I always liked the thoughts of owning a BMW... but hopefully I'm not blinded by the badge if its a crap car. I suppose I just havent driven enough other cars... I've only ever owned VW Golfs, and my current one (yes, it is red...) is 7 years old. I suppose anything else I drive seems shiny and new and I'm dazzled by a (even slight) performance bump.

So I'm gonna save my pennies anyway, keep my eyes (and mind) open, and drive as much test cars as possible over the next few months. I'll also be keeping my eyes on this excellent section of Boards (very impressed by the knowledge and opinions here), and with any luck I'll have a shiny new (new to me that is... definitely not buying brand new car... ) car in early 2008!

No harm in looking at BMWs if you like them, they make some very good cars but their entry level small engined ones are not great by any means. If you don't have to have a 07 number plate you could pick up a slightly older 320i or 320d for similar money. The 320i straight six has a lovely sound from it and performance is pretty good too. If the running costs of a 320i are a bit frightning to you then the 320d is also pretty good, it returns around 50mpg and has a rock solid resale value. Just watch 2002/2003 models as they go through turbos for fun.

Another one that might interest you is the Lexus IS200:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=761600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭scitpo

New Mondeo would be my call. Depreciation might not be too hot but it might be the car that could turn around this trend with big Fords.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

What was the point of this thread? It's obvious from your choice that you were never after an opinion on the merits of any particular marque. You were just after a badge and an 08 number plate to show off to your friends. Of course its up to you if you want to drop €33k on a badge but there are an infinite amount of better cars out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

scitpo has a point. I'd wait 6 months and buy a top spec Mondeo from the UK.

Advertisement