Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace Question

Options
  • 07-08-2007 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

After moving into my house a few years ago I immediately removed the old fireplace as it was one of those typical mid 1970's corporation house jobs with the intention of replacing it with something more modern. It was just poured concrete that was cased and then tiled over so all that was left was the fire itself.

However other jobs then took precedence and so the fireplace is still in this condition today (its amazing what a wooden surround and some carefully placed artwork will do). Anyway I now want to complete the job I started and restore this so that it can actually be used to light a fire again so basically I need to know what steps I now need to take.

I'm assuming that I need to patch it up with mortar/concrete to fill any gaps that are now there but what is required next?? The "internals" are all there so its just basically the "external" pieces required. I know I'm not using the correct terms so please forgive me.

Also I have my suspicions as to whether a wooden surround will be suitable for an open fire - thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Clean the chimney ,or get it cleaned.

Advertisement