Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3pay Phone as Laptop Modem

• 07-08-2007 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Anyone tried this yet? I want to use a SE k610i as a modem for my macbook over bluetooth, reviews lead me to believe that it works fine but i wanted to get a few more opinions and hopefully some first hand experiences laid out.

If any of you have even used the k610 or another 3pay phone as a modem on your windows based laptops i'd be very interested to hear from you.

Thanks a lot!

t1mm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i have used my 3pay phone as a modem. on the nokia pc suite i just click the "connect to the internet" button, select manual connection, put 3ireland.ie as the APN and click connect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

ive done it before,20euro credit gone in ten mins,terrible.
    mobiles as modems follow the rule that you are chrged by the downloaded uploaded data,so going on a site like bebo that as a lot of data clears out ur cred quickly,be wary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Timmins

@Commander Vimes: sounds good, SE phones are supposed to be especially friendly with OS X, my p910i is and i'm hoping the k610i will be the same.

@nerin: you're sort of missing the point mate.. The reason i'm not using my current o2 sim is because GPRS charges are 1c per 1kb, which is basically credit rape. The 3 network allows you to buy 100mb of data transfer for 6euro and also unlimited for 20 euro, as far as i know. Thats the main attraction for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

lol apologies,i wasnt aware of 3pays policies.
    20 euro for unlimited????sounds too good to be tru
    wowsers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

nerin wrote:
    wowsers
    its not unlimited, its 2gb which they're allowed call unlimited for some bizarre reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

nerin wrote:
    wowsers
    No it's real but the "unlimited" add on is actually 2GB of usage (they don't expect you to be using it as your laptop modem) so 2GB would do fine on a normal phone with a mobile browser but may get used up quickly on a computer if you are looking at youtube etc.

EDIT: Commander Vimes bet me to it by a few seconds :D
    I agree that the 2GB limit should be deemed as false advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

when you reach this magical 2 gig figure what happens?

do they

a) incur you ridiculous 50cent a kb charges

b) f00k all

c) ring you up and ask if you want an upgrade? ;)

i have this a few weeks now (the 20quid thing), using my n73 daily, just web browsing.

i have used my3 to monitor my usage and i dont mean my internet usage which it doesnt tell, (of course). my voice mins is static at 200 left this month, despite about 40 mins of talk this week???

should i ring them or what to clear this up?

its 49c per MB legs11, not per kb. Regarding your question though, i don't know what happens if you exceed it. Definitely call them about it, the more raping they get over the phones the better their service will become.

Have you ever use your phone as a modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

I am a (reluctant!) bill pay customer, i use my n73 as a modem. like nearly everyone else.

i will ring them over the week and see what they say. i want them to stop my allowance once i exceed 2gigs, fcuk their cary on...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I'm on the "unlimited" package on my phone. Last time I added a "broadband" add-on, I seem to recall being able to see how much I've used in My3 but it's not there now. Is this because something is broken or because it's actually unlimited so measuring traffic would be meaningless? I get the total used on the bill, though.

I was never informed of a limit in the sign-up process, it's indeed labelled unlimited, so they would have a lot of trouble nailing me for excess charges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Blaster99 wrote:
    I'm on the "unlimited" package on my phone. Last time I added a "broadband" add-on, I seem to recall being able to see how much I've used in My3 but it's not there now. Is this because something is broken or because it's actually unlimited so measuring traffic would be meaningless? I get the total used on the bill, though.

I was never informed of a limit in the sign-up process, it's indeed labelled unlimited, so they would have a lot of trouble nailing me for excess charges.
    It's subject to fair use which is outlined in the terms and conditions as 2gb.

Blaster99: there was always a way to check how much bandwidth you've used on the billpay plan, but not on the 3pay one.

Well i've gone ahead and bought the k610i and i'm struggling with the internet connect feature. I haven't age verified yet, but here are my experiences so far:

I downloaded some OS X modem scripts from http://www.taniwha.org.uk and number 3 seems to work best out of the Sony Ericsson 3G scripts. I got it to connect a few times, and once i was browsing through 3's free websites - viewing my credit balance and the like. When i try to enter an address in the address bar inevitably get the age verification error.

I disconnected and tried to re-connect, just for laughs, and it doesn't seem to be happening.. I've tried it a few times but still to no avail.

I'd hugely appreciate if anyone could help me out here, its something i'd really love to sort out - its unfortunate that the customer care reps aren't more technically trained.

Thanks lads!

Advertisement