Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in London - Looking for Recommendations

• 07-08-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm heading to London in September for the weekend and am looking for a good restaurant. I'd like a Chinese restaurant but if anyone has any great recommendations of other cuisines i'll definitely check them out.

I've had a look around London guide sites but it's hard to sift through them all and I'd appreciate someone's personal opinion here more so than a random review.

I'd like somewhere quite classy so we can have an excuse to get dressed up and would be willing to pay up to around 200 euro for 2 people including a bottle of wine.

We're staying near Trafalgar Square but location isn't too important. Willing to travel for a worthy meal ;)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Blue Elephant in Fulham Broadway is quite nice. GF has eaten there and was impressed (decor and the food).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you're looking for Chinese - no better place than Chinatown. Then head to Soho for some after dinner drinks. You're in the middle of it all in Trafalgar square. Lots of great places. If you're looking for Indian - try heading to Brick Lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What olaola said.
    Head for Chinatown.
    Look for the dingiest, most non-touristy-looking place that has a lot of asians eating in it.
    You won't be disappointed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

There's a very nice Italian called Gallileo's which is just off Piccadilly Circus on Jermyn St (I think, it's around there anyway)

I also ate in a nice Turkish/Greek place that was off Oxford St I think, it was dark and I got a bit lost on the way there. But it was gorgeous food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Aye I'll also second the Chinatown suggestion. Go during the day and eat dim sum. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If you want to spend a bit of money and have an excuse to dress up, head to Charlotte Street.

The range of restaurants is excellent and Charlotte Street has a quiet back street charm that is a relief from the pavement dodging chaos of Oxford Street or Leicester Square. If you are in town long enough, take a walk up the street and look at the menus in the restaurant windows, then you can make a booking for later in your trip.

Also at the top of Charlotte Street is Bam-Bou, a French Vietnamese influenced restaurant. This place is excellent. The food is a mix of Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese, the decor is beautiful and the top floor bar is well worth a visit.

China town is fine, but it is cheap and cheerful. Don't expect to spend 200 yoyo's unless you want a doggy bag the size of a suitcase. Jeans and T-Shirt and you can't go wrong. Worth a visit for the experience but the food won't win any prizes.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

For the best grilled meat in London try Kazan, in Pimlico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Hi folks, I'm heading to London in September for the weekend and am looking for a good restaurant. I'd like a Chinese restaurant but if anyone has any great recommendations of other cuisines i'll definitely check them out.

Then Chinatown is the place, but if you are easily offended stay away from Won Kie's [sp]. They are renowned for their rudness (part of the attraction there). I have been there a few times as the food is good. Or you could try Tatchbrook St SW1, there are a selection of nice restaurants there ranging from Chinese, North Korean, Thai etc.

I'd like somewhere quite classy so we can have an excuse to get dressed up and would be willing to pay up to around 200 euro for 2 people including a bottle of wine.

Au pot au pol in Pimlico (top end of Ebury St SW1) is classy & expensive, a french restaurant, fab food. Expect to pay up to £150stg for two with wine and book prior. Also along Ebury St is The Ebury wine Bar another fine place & expensive, but well worth it if you are looking for a classy night out. Some streets off Ebury Street also have top restaurants.

I have eaten in most of them thus the recommendations....

Hope that helps.

TJ911...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Passione on Charlotte St in Soho.....right across form the Charlotte St Hotel.
    Rustic Italian, Top Class Service,
    Food to die for (try the Rabbit in Pine Nut and Garlic)
    and the only place that does Limoncello & Wild Strawberry Ice Cream.

3 Courses each with tea and a good bottle of red and Mineral Water was stg£120.00 inc sevice but the service was so good I left a tip....which I had to insist they took.
    Kept my table even though I was over an hour late.
    Gave us a drink on the house as I had booked so far in advance.

Run by Genaro Contaldo, who was delighted I mailed him to thank them for the great evening we had.

Bookings on liz@passione.co.uk

Can't speak highly enough of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

Try Hakkasan, http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/view/80677/Hakkasan , you won't be disappointed. If you're careful with your wine you might make it with 200e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

My favourite restaurant in London is Manzi's just off Leicester square. Downstairs there is a Bistro and upstairs is a restaurant. The service is unobtrusive and excellent, and the food is all beautifully cooked and presented. Manzi's has been there forever and its longevity is testament to its appeal. It's not one of the new"fashionable" places but then it never has been, and for anyone who loves excellence, its a great night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I know it's been a while but I just wondered how the OP got on? Where did you go? Was she impressed by the food (and you)? :)

Advertisement