Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 3G broadband

Options
  • 07-08-2007 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,

Is there a difference between the 3G service provided by O2 Vodafone and 3?

I am considering switching to 3G broadband and would like to know what people's feedback on which is a better service.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Firstly you will have to determine which of them provide the necessary coverage. You my find not all with cover you.
    Vodafone only offer up to 1.4Mbps, 3 & O2 offer up to 3.6Mbps.

- Vodafone €25 per month, 18 month contract, modem cost €82, 5Gb DL limit

- O2 €30 per month, 12 month contract, modem cost €89, 10Gb DL limit

- Three €20 per month term of contract determined at point of sale, modem cost €129, 10Gb DL limit

(HSDPA network only on 3, no GPRS back up as with others)

O2 & Voda have 1/2 price offers on 1st three months

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

Vodafone only offer up to 1.4Mbps, 3 & O2 offer up to 3.6Mbps.

According to the 3 advertising, because in reality it's more like 1/100 of that or less most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Contact for 3 determined at POS? WHat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

3bb at this present time is useless (read the other threads)

don't know about vodafone or o2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Ive been with vodafone for a year now and am pretty happy with it. If I was to sign up for one of them today I would probably go with 02 because vodafones current package has the smallest cap (im on the older unlimited package :D) and for most people on boards 3 seems useless. Afaik 02 also don't automatically charge if you go over the cap like the other two do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

In relation to speeds, Vodafone expect to be at 3.6 quite soon. O2 hope to be hitting 7.2 by the end of the year, and I'd expect Voda to be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

- Vodafone €25 per month, 18 month contract, modem cost €82, 5Gb DL limit

Vodafone's offering is currently €29.99 per month
    - O2 €30 per month, 12 month contract, modem cost €89, 10Gb DL limit

O2 are only €30 per month if you're already an O2 customer. They're €40 per month otherwise.
    - Three €20 per month term of contract determined at point of sale, modem cost €129, 10Gb DL limit

No, the terms of the contract for 3 are NOT determined at the point of sale, the terms of the contract are 12 months (with the first 14 days being a "money back guarantee" period in which you can bring it back, cancel the service and get a full refund if you're not happy with it).

Also the limits on all the networks are not download limits, they're inclusive data limits (i.e.: downloads AND uploads).
    (HSDPA network only on 3, no GPRS back up as with others)

Incorrect. It's only 3's USB modem which will only work with 3G/HSDPA.

If you get 3's PCMCIA broadband modem, you can get online with both HSDPA on 3G AND GPRS/EDGE on 2.5G.
    SachaJ wrote:
    In relation to speeds, Vodafone expect to be at 3.6 quite soon. O2 hope to be hitting 7.2 by the end of the year, and I'd expect Voda to be the same.

I wouldn't necessarily expect Vodafone to be the same - they SHOULD... doesn't mean they WILL. From what I've heard, 3 are also currently working on doubling the speed on their own network up to 7.2Mbps within the next few months and they're looking to potentially double it again at some stage next year.

Also, I've heard that due to higher than expected demand, O2 are out of stock of their usb data modems in most of their stores and aren't expecting to get more until early September.

Bard wrote:
    No, the terms of the contract for 3 are NOT determined at the point of sale, the terms of the contract are 12 months (with the first 14 days being a "money back guarantee" period in which you can bring it back, cancel the service and get a full refund if you're not happy with it).

Incorrect. It's only 3's USB modem which will only work with 3G/HSDPA.

If you get 3's PCMCIA broadband modem, you can get online with both HSDPA on 3G AND GPRS/EDGE on 2.5G.

http://www.three.ie/priceplans/pmterms-conditions.htm

This is where I go the point of Sale info. It's only when you go down the line of ordering do yuo find out the 12 month contract thing. My bad for not going far enough into the order. The others make the 12 month thing clear at the outset.

You are incorrect when you state the USB modem will only work on 3g/HSDPA

http://www.three.ie/broadband/datamodem.htm See features on the RHS, clearly states USB Modem is EDGE, GPRS compatible.

Also see footnote at the bottom of pricing on this page also, it clearly states:

¹ Mobile Broadband 10GB can be used on 3's HSDPA network only. and cannot be used in connection with voice, text or GPRS services.

All prices etc. were obtained from the companies websites.
    Bard wrote:
    O2 are only €30 per month if you're already an O2 customer. They're €40 per month otherwise.
    Should have spotted that one, sorry.
    Bard wrote:
    Vodafone's offering is currently €29.99 per month
    Again apologies, the website quotes ex- VAT price. I was tired:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A Note on Fallback Options.

All 3 carriers ship a Huawei e220 modem.

Depending on what the network allows , in a perfect world it could go

1. 3g OR Hsdpa (either 380k OR if hsdpa any of 1.8 or 3.6mbits and with 7.2 mbit vapour a blowing across the land )

2. If 3g/Hsdpa data not available go EDGE (200k)

3. If EDGE not available go GPRS ( 50k)

Now look at what the networks actually allow

3 allows option 1 only

Voda allows option 1 or falls back to option 3

O2 are the only ones who currently allow all of options 1 then 2 then 3 but 2 is not yet available everywhere although I just heard its in N Leinster and the Midlands right now .

eircom ????? if they sell meteor before they launch then god knows , best case is 1 2 and 3 in some areas, Meteor has not completed a universal edge rollout and has very few cells anyway :(

SachaJ wrote:
    I'd imagine you'll need to be purchasing a different device in order to avail of the 7.2.
    The Huawei e220 that all networks are currently offering does not support 7.2Mbps.

This one does: http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/products/view.do?id=400&pageId=null

• Advertisement

I stand corrected, a different card will be needed for 7.2mbit .

Different cards will also be needed for EVERY step change to HSDPA expected to rollout in the next 2 years or so , eg HSUPA , evolved HSPA and then 3g LTE etc etc . We 'could ' possibly (Yes I KNOW this is Ireland :D) hit 42mbit 'nominal' by 2010 .

There may be a regulatory roadblock to the last 2 bits though. It strikes me that 3g operators are trying to go 4g without shelling out for new licences so we may get stuck at 14.4mbit while that roadblock clears :p

Ireland, however, is not as far behind the very latest tech and at very reasonable price points in mobile data as it is in cable or dsl . Mor eof that please .

You may find you have to change 3g data cards as often as once a year to keep up with the tech as it evolves as expected . Remember that this time last year the fastest speed was 384k and Voda had only just launched their unlimited package at that speed.

But for the moment we shall hope for a stable and relatively uncongested 3.6mbits from all carriers and shall note their ability to deliver this in a reliable manner and with smooth fallback .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You are incorrect when you state the USB modem will only work on 3g/HSDPA

http://www.three.ie/broadband/datamodem.htm See features on the RHS, clearly states USB Modem is EDGE, GPRS compatible.
    The modem is capable, 3's network is not however as they do not have a 2G/GPRS network. They rent space, off Vodafone I believe, for calls and texts outside their own coverage areas and also for data on the (much more expensive) PCMCIA datacard.
    W00LEY wrote:
    I am considering switching to 3G broadband and would like to know what people's feedback on which is a better service
    Important point there is what are you switching from? If you currently have Ripwave or Clearwire then I'd say Vodafone and O2 are likely to be a lot better (though 3 may not be). If you have a proper broadband service like DSL, Metro or are with a reliable cable company (not Chorus/NTL) then why would you change?

Only change if your current service is unusable or you need the mobility.

SachaJ wrote:
    Just to add a little to this there was an article in the Times about this a couple of weeks ago where Vodafone said "We will have a 3.6mbs offering before the end of the summer and we will have 7.2mbs out before the end of the financial year (march 2008)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

Just a couple of Qs.

I signed up for Vodafone broadband a few months ago @49.99 a month do I have any come back as regards the new price system or do you reckon i'm tied to the old price.

Secondly, need a bit of clarity on 3G-HSDPA. I connect on Vodafone it pops up as 3.6mps is that the real speed i'm getting. Whats the situation is vodafone HSDPA or is it only 3G? Obviously HSDPA is better but what are the speeds associated with each...

Just a couple of Qs.

I signed up for Vodafone broadband a few months ago @49.99 a month do I have any come back as regards the new price system or do you reckon i'm tied to the old price.

Secondly, need a bit of clarity on 3G-HSDPA. I connect on Vodafone it pops up as 3.6mps is that the real speed i'm getting. Whats the situation is vodafone HSDPA or is it only 3G? Obviously HSDPA is better but what are the speeds associated with each...
    For vodafone 3G is 384k and Hspda is 1.4meg. The 3.6mps is just what the modem is capable of. Your on the older unlimited package same as myself. The newer package from vodafone is cheaper but has a 5gb usage cap which by anyones standards is pretty restrictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

Ah yeah, was wondering alright about the 3.6mps. Will vodafone be upgrading to HSDPA soon and will that be as standard or will you have to do migrate to a HSDPA package?. I presume my modem is HSDPA compatatible as it stands?

I use the modem very little only when i'm on the move so 5gig is enough i think might get onto to them and see what they say about the €30 package

Ah yeah, was wondering alright about the 3.6mps. Will vodafone be upgrading to HSDPA soon and will that be as standard or will you have to do migrate to a HSDPA package?. I presume my modem is HSDPA compatatible as it stands?
    They are already using hspda, it will just be upgraded to 3.6meg. You won't have to change anything if they upgrade the speeds.
    I use the modem very little only when i'm on the move so 5gig is enough i think might get onto to them and see what they say about the €30 package
    I honestly don't think you will have much chance of getting them to to change your package. If they do it will be them being nice rather than being any way obligated to change it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Vodafone are keen to get people off the unlimited package and onto the 5Gb one. I recently upgraded a 384K card to the newer 7.2M card (PCMCIA, Huawei E660, supplied by Vodafone store) and they practically begged me to switch to the cheaper limited package - which I did, our BB usage is email/surfing only and hits only about 1g per month so well worth the downgrade for half the price.

Incidentally, I've always wondered just what are people doing that they need 10G or more per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cill Chainnigh

Patrickof wrote:
    Incidentally, I've always wondered just what are people doing that they need 10G or more per month?

I assume that they are downloading movies 24 hours a day.

Does anybody have O2 Broadband yet? I hear that it is flying off the shelves. Any reports? I am due to get it Saturday. There is a waiting list for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I assume that they are downloading movies 24 hours a day.

Does anybody have O2 Broadband yet? I hear that it is flying off the shelves. Any reports? I am due to get it Saturday. There is a waiting list for it!!

Movies are 700 to 1.4GB compressed, so hardly 24hrs a day.

Im on the 3BB as a backup to NTL 6Mb/s Cable and its terrible at the moment. Ill see if it gets better over the next few days and if not, return it.

• Advertisement

Patrickof wrote:

I think the real question here is what are you doing not to go over 10g a month?:D You must be a very very light user to have your usage as low as 1 gig
    Have a couple of kids using bebo and the like and see how long it stays that low:p
    I don't download movies and I usually end up at around 20gig usage in a month pretty easily. Luckily I'm on vodafones unlimited package so I don't have to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Raeannon

Hi there

I was wondering if you can help?

I live 10 miles outside Ennis and cannot get any type of broadband. My internet connection has a max speed of 31.2kbps. I want to get one of these 3G bb but am unsure as to which one. I am with the 3 network and cannot get the 3G connection on my phone at my house.

Does anyone know if any of these 3G bb give me a faster connection?

Thanks in advance

Rae

Well if O2 have switched on EDGE locally then I would try them first in a rural area not on a main road, 3g tends to follow the N18 / big towns through Clare . Digiweb may have Metro as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Have a couple of kids using bebo and the like and see how long it stays that low:p
    QUOTE]

Ah thats it then, thankfully the kids are all under 5 so not much surfing for a few years yet.

Raeannon wrote:
    Hi there

I was wondering if you can help?

I live 10 miles outside Ennis and cannot get any type of broadband. My internet connection has a max speed of 31.2kbps. I want to get one of these 3G bb but am unsure as to which one. I am with the 3 network and cannot get the 3G connection on my phone at my house.

Does anyone know if any of these 3G bb give me a faster connection?

Thanks in advance

Rae
    Exactly where abouts are you? If you cannot pick up 3G on your 3 phone then 3 is out for you. You'll have to look at the other two.
    (BTW No EDGE in Clare yet.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bockedy

How are speeds on the O2 mobile broadband going? I have just returned 3 usb modem having experienced only dialup speeds for almost the whole trial - from city centre Dublin! Any reassurance that it's just 3 with these problems? Anyone particularly using O2 mobile broadband in Skerries area, what speeds are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

On O2: I get 900k to 1.2Mbps on a 1.8Mbps modem, but ping varies from 120ms (Limerick) to 350ms (Dublin).

Never tested the speed on the 3G phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I have had O2 BB since it came out (about 4 weeks now). It is a really good service and I am nervous at saying that as I expect there will be an influx of 3 customers creating contention issues. I have been using it near Courtown and I have no problem getting 2.5 Mb download when on 3 or 4 bars signal. About 1.5 Mb on 1 bar signal. The fall-back here at present is GPRS but thankfully it rarely needs the fall-back.

I have seen none of the '3' issues like limited access too certain sites or ftp or mail issues.

Now having said all this I have no doubt that I am enjoying a superior service at present due to lack of contention. Lets hope it does not effect it too much going forward.

Top marks so far for O2.

Cal.

Do check the O2 Map for 3G coverage in your area before ordering as the coverage is limited. It does seem that they are upgrading nodes on a daily basis though.

Advertisement