Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Do You Think of Iomega External Hard Drives?

Options
  • 07-08-2007 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

As the title says, what do you folks think of iomega external hard drives? I was planning on buying this enclosure and a Western Digital 80GB IDE drive. The total would come to just under €80.
    I then saw that I could get this 120GB Iomega drive for just €2-3 more and it's a whole 40GB more for virtually the same price. What's the quality of Iomega's drives like? For some reason I've never really liked them, even though I've never owned one. I realise Iomega don't actually make the drives themselves, but they don't use the latest Seagate, Samsung or WD drives as far as I'm aware.

So what do you think? Should I stick with the enclosure and the 80GB WD or go with the Iomega?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

This might seem silly but in 1999 I had one of their tape drives for backup and not only did the hardware suck, the software provided never worked properly EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

For €85 you can get a 250Gb WD MyBook.

Solid piece of kit popular with a good few people around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks irlrobins, but the two drives I mentioned and linked to are 2.5" drives, so they'd be a little more on the portable side than the MyBook! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Opps forgot to read the small print :p Mind you the MyBook is not massive...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i currently have a number of external harddrives including a 500gb iomega. its great for storing data but when its connected to PC i cant connect any other hard drives to my PC. its a problem i dont get with other external hard drives, so i would suggest getting a maxtor, western digital or a seagate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Agreed, iomega are nothing but hassle for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

Bought an 80gb Iomega a few months ago and it packed in after only one week. Could'nt reboot it and it kept making a weird clicking sound. Man was I pissed. That said got on to Iomega's tech support and they were pretty helpful. They advised me to e-mail them a pic of the serial number and nxt thing I know a new one comes in the post a few days later.

Have'nt had any problems with the new one......

So far ;)

Advertisement