Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your cat's feeding habits

Options
  • 07-08-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning on adopting a couple of cats soon and doing some reasearch to make sure I haven't underestimated the commitment involved. I have a question about feeding them.

Do you feed your cat dry or wet food or a mixture of both?
    Was it your choice or your cats choice? ;)
    How often do you feed them each day?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Any cats we have had since they were kittens so started off with wet food and then eventually switched to dry food. They are on a light, healthy dry food now, feed them in the morning and in the evening. Give them the odd treat during the day but they have to work for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My cats been on dry food since he was a kitten. The first few days we had we gave him Whiskas pouches but the vet told us dried food was better so he's been on Hills food since - he's 3 now. He was really greedy until a few weeks ago and would eat anything he could get his little paws on - he got an infection in his stomach thou and went off his food altogether so we had to give him wet perscription food for a few weeks until he was better. He's now back on his dry food - first he didn't want his Hills but now he wants it again and in the last 2 days he's started eating a reasonable amount again :D so we feed him a few times (when he asks) until his daily amount runs out. The wet food was great for getting him better but I found it a real pain - its harder to measure out and smells compared to the dry food. The dry food is handy because you can leave it out say if you're going out - the wet stuff we were using kind of dried and then it got rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I think its down to your, or more likely, your cats preference :-). We have two, they are both active indoor/outdoor cats so no need to watch their weight. They are get a good quality dry food (Husse) for free feeding and a pouch (brand varies) at night time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

One of our cats has been on dry since she was a kitten and won't eat any other cat food. The other will eat either but prefers wet food.

They would both sell me in slavery for cat treats, ham or mackerel of course.

edit: we feed them twice a day and keep their water topped up

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

My 3 have free access 24 7 to dryfood and water & get wet food twice a day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Here it depends on the situation with which ever cat. Most of the cats get fed dry food twice a day, a bit of wet food ( hills chunky, felix, almo) a few times a week. We never feed our cats whiska's, i do prefer felix as good as it looks but preferebly tins of almo as it is the best wet food i've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I have 13 cats.

One out of 13 cats prefers dried food.
    Most of the others are happy with what they get.
    2-3 are fussy and go through phases of wet food so gotta
    rotate from Chicken Wiskas to Beef to treats.
    None of the cats seem to like rabbit with chicken.
    Tuna or SAlmon goes down well but only if not too often.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Thanks to all for your input. Some food for thought there. :)

Advertisement