Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Problem

Options
  • 07-08-2007 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all,

My immersion system has started acting weird, and I'm hoping someone can give me some idea as to whats going on.
    I have a Horstmann E7quartz timer.

Here's the story:
    The water heats at night when the immersion is set to timed (off peak light comes on).
    But during the day, if I set the immersion to timed, the off peak light comes on but the water doesnt heat.
    The 2hr Boost function never works
    The clock seems to work fine.

I have a suspicion that an element is gone but I'm not sure.
    Why would the off peak light come on during the day?
    At this stage I dont know whether I need an electricion to look at the timer unit or a plumber to fit a new element?

Any advice/ideas?

thanks,

Reg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I can't help you with the source of your problem but...............

Do you have a night rate meter?

Either way, your best bet is to call in a sparks. The problem is electrical. A sparks will fit a new element if that's what's required.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

crosstownk wrote:
    I can't help you with the source of your problem but...............

Do you have a night rate meter?

Either way, your best bet is to call in a sparks. The problem is electrical. A sparks will fit a new element if that's what's required.
    Yes, I've got a night rate meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Reg_hurley wrote:
    I have a suspicion that an element is gone but I'm not sure.
    Why would the off peak light come on during the day?
    At this stage I dont know whether I need an electricion to look at the timer unit or a plumber to fit a new element?

Usually these are wired to two elements (sometimes within the same housing)
    The 'bath' portion seems to be working, and the 'sink' portion isn't. IMHO opinion the 'sink' element is shot.

Depending on how handy you are, the element can be tested using a multimeter. Replacing it isn't too hard, but a special spanner is needed, and you need to drain the tank

Thanks for the advice lads, I'll call an electrician......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

this seems strange,

the 2 hour boost not working would indeed indicate a problem with the smaller (sink) element in your tank (if it is a dual unit)

The bath element is typically wired to the timed unit, this is a bigger element that will produce warm water in a larger quantity, but it can take a while to heat up as the element is further down the tank and it heats from lower down allowing the heat to dissipate as it rises through the water above it, therefore there can be a delay in getting warm water from the bath side of the heater,
    would this be that case? maybe you have to wait too long for it to heat the water.

This unit only has one supply going into it, this supply powers the timer clock too, sounds like your clock is keeping correct time. The night rate meters only decides which meter the power goes through, it will not stop power to the unit, so if it's working during the night it should work during the day.

Here are some possible situations

1) the sink element is either not there (single element immersion) or it's knackered
    2) You are not using the clock timer correctly ( no reflection on you , it's just a possibility)
    3) The bath element is working, just that at night it has at least 4 hours to heat the water, but this is too slow for you to notice a difference during the day.
    4) The E7 is wired incorrectly to the sink element

Possible solutions

New dual element immersion with the boost connected to the sink and the timer connected to the bath, leave the bath timed at night rate and leave it alone, use the boost for your additional heat requirement during that day.

Check connections at booster / sink element if present

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice Stoner.

I've had a look into it again over the last day and a half.
    It is a dual unit and it I think I've uncovered whats going on.
    The E7 is wired incorrectly.
    The boost is wired to the "bath" element and the off peak switch is wired to the "sink".
    The boost doesnt work so the bath element must be shot.

I might take this opportunity to take out the E7 and put in a new timer unit.
    Could anyone recommend one?
    And more importantly, recommend an electrician for the Dublin 1 area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hi Reg,

the E7 is a good unit, not it's fault that someone hooked it up wrong, if it was working woud it do the job? if so you might aswell keep it and get it sorted out correctly

Hi Stoner,
    Yes it would do the job, except it would be heating some amount of water at night if connected properly.
    At the minute I've enough for 2 showers in the morning and regular hot water for the rest of the day (thats just from the sink element).
    I have been in the flat for months and didnt notice that it was hooked up incorrectly untill the bath element went!!
    I'd like to have the flexiblility to set my own time on it rather than the full 7hrs.
    Might get it sorted out first and see how it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i think the horstmann is preset for 3-4 hrs off-peak i cant remember exactly you might have a wire crossed inside the controller (they're numbered )or a faulty controller

thanks for the advice lads.
    In the end I called in an electrician. ended up that the E7 timer was faulty.
    Replaced the unit and all is working correctly.
    thanks again.

Reg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement