Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Evanescence's new album

• 07-08-2007 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Rightio..back to Evanescence. What y'all think of The Open Door? Personally, i think it's AMAZING!! It's so good. and so different, yoo can tell they've grown up writing this cos it's got so much more inside it than Fallen could have. The vocals are fabulous, as always and i love the bonus track. Very touching. So, wat's your opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I think its a piss poor effort with only 2 or 3 listenable tracks. Amy sings way beyond her capable register, both too high and too low. In Snow White Queen she tries to hit notes so low, it sounds plain horrible. Her harsh vocals do not mix well with the heavier guitars either. In previous albums her voice was soft yet strong, now its almost like she's competing with the guitars. The song Call Me When You're Sober, is another thing thats wrong with this album. The lyrics are awful angsty teenage crap.

Its a huge downfall of the album, that the lyrics are devoid of any meaning for the listener. Unless you are Amy Lee, the lyrics mean nothing. Previous Evanescence songs have a poetic feel about them, and can be interpreted in their own way by the listener, but not this album. Many songs are melodically and lyrically repetitive (see the godawful Lithium and The Only One, which are musically very very similar). Others like Cloud Nine, Weight of the World and Lose Control have little to offer in melody or cohesion, and are entirely forgettable.

By the end of the album, you feel like what you have listened to is completely soulless and mildly irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I split this from the older Evanescence thread. We really don't need a 2 year old thread bumped up, when it's pretty much a new subject (as in, about their new album).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Nightwish wrote:
    I think its a piss poor effort with only 2 or 3 listenable tracks. Amy sings way beyond her capable register, both too high and too low. In Snow White Queen she tries to hit notes so low, it sounds plain horrible. Her harsh vocals do not mix well with the heavier guitars either. In previous albums her voice was soft yet strong, now its almost like she's competing with the guitars. The song Call Me When You're Sober, is another thing thats wrong with this album. The lyrics are awful angsty teenage crap.

Its a huge downfall of the album, that the lyrics are devoid of any meaning for the listener. Unless you are Amy Lee, the lyrics mean nothing. Previous Evanescence songs have a poetic feel about them, and can be interpreted in their own way by the listener, but not this album. Many songs are melodically and lyrically repetitive (see the godawful Lithium and The Only One, which are musically very very similar). Others like Cloud Nine, Weight of the World and Lose Control have little to offer in melody or cohesion, and are entirely forgettable.

By the end of the album, you feel like what you have listened to is completely soulless and mildly irritating.
    I agree with most of this. I thought Call Me When You're Sober was a weak single to start with. The singing in Lithium isn't too bad but the song doesn't really go anywhere. I liked Lost Control but one good song from an entire album is terrible!
    It's very sad when you take into account just how promising the older stuff (pre Fallen) was. Looking at where the band is now they really could have delivered so much more in a musical sense. Mind you, the've still sold bucket loads of records and made a fortune so Amy Lee probably doesn't care :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well after the Family Values tour ends, Evanescence are only playing a handful of dates and then effectively going on hiatus for a while. The "borrowed" musicians are going back to their band Dark New Day and Amy wants to play happy families with new husband Josh. I would imagine that'll signal the end of the band, although Amy is adament the band will be back at an undetermined point in time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nightwish wrote:
    Amy is adament the band will be back at an undetermined point in time.

Hopefully not!:p ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Fallen was a fantasic song, each song every good and unique in its own way
    The Open Door is a mess-Amys Voice is all over the place ,the lryics are mindbendingly annoying and all the songs really sound the same.I instantly regarted buying. I think it was the loss of Guiterist/fellow lryic writer Ben Moody that caused this awful album.

Advertisement