Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-enforcing the Basics

• 07-08-2007 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I write this post in the hope that any budding divers etc, recently qualified divers...actually all divers....

A Fellow instructor was in Wales last week doing his first rebreather course.

On the fourth day they were asked to help search for two missing divers, who subsequently were sadly found deceased in the engine room of a wreck in a sunken artificial reef at approx 30m.

These divers were moderatley experienced, yet when found, their torches were in their pockets and they were not equipped with reels.

This is another example of a tragic diving fatality that could have been avoided, by divers simply keeping within their comfort zone and not diving beyond their capabilities.

This is not meant to scare any would be or new divers, but simply to ask everyone to remember the basics.

Please, dive safe EVERYONE!

Thanks

Dave
    PADI Instructor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Yes, this was another needless tragedy.

It might help the dive community to know the circumstances surrounding their demise. Had they run out of air? Were they on rebreathers? Siltout? What part of the ship were they in, I mean their means of exit must have been visible if their torches were still in their pockets.

If facts are not declared by people in the know then conjecture will only lead to false assumptions and wrong conclusions, with the lesson lost.

I am not "having a go" here. Please do not misconstrue what I say. But this reminds me of where other chances of providing much-needed lessons are missed every day. On the roads.

"The car hit the wall" is all we hear.

We are not told how, if certain named skills are learnt and practised, we can continue to avoid that wall.
    "Slow Down" is only part of the lesson - same as carrying a reel for wreck
    penetration is part of this one, if it ever comes out.

Safe diving and driving (there's more risk in the latter)

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Yes, this was another needless tragedy.

It might help the dive community to know the circumstances surrounding their demise. Had they run out of air? Were they on rebreathers? Siltout? What part of the ship were they in, I mean their means of exit must have been visible if their torches were still in their pockets?

If facts are not declared by people in the know then conjecture will only lead to false assumptions and wrong conclusions, with the lesson lost.

I am not "having a go" here. Please do not misconstrue what I say. But this reminds me of where other chances of providing much-needed lessons are missed every day. On the roads.

"The car hit the wall" is all we hear.

We are not told how, if certain named skills are learnt and practised, we can continue to avoid that wall.
    "Slow Down" is only part of the lesson - same as carrying a reel for wreck
    penetration is part of this one, if the lesson ever comes out.

Safe diving and driving (there's more risk in the latter)

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

They were on air, and simply lost their way. Therefore, ran out of air.

I understand you aren't having a go, and unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of details, besides what I posted already, but the basic of basics when it comes to wreck penetration. Reel off. a €20 piece of equipment could have saved two lives.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Yes, I got a txt from a buddy of mine (doing a rebreather course) that was on the dive boat off Plymouth where the bodies of the two divers were recovered. The man was found and the woman found an hour later. Both on standard scuba gear. My understanding is that they went into the wreck and got lost then ran out of air.

Advertisement