Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Type of Insurance?

Options
  • 07-08-2007 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Just as I was reading another thread in the Motors forum, a question sprung to mind about car insurance.

What kind of car insurance do you have?

Personally, I'm Fully Comp and always have been. Actually, here in Finland I also have Elk/Reindeer Insurance too :)

What Kind Of Motor Insurance Do You Have? And Why That Type? 67 votes

Fully Comprehensive
    0% 0 votes
    Third Party, Fire and Theft
    68% 46 votes
    Third Party Only
    29% 20 votes
    None
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Fully comp until the car is mine and not the banks....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

deman wrote:
    here in Finland I also have Elk/Reindeer Insurance too :)

:D

A pity there's no Skanger Insurance here. It would save a fortune with all the wing mirror and paint work attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Ha. Yeah.

I have TPFT and no car. Next car will be fully comp., without a doubt.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

jhegarty wrote:
    Fully comp until the car is mine and not the banks....

And why not stay Fully Comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

cos by the time he owns it it'll be worth nothing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

deman wrote:
    And why not stay Fully Comp?

Willing to take the risk.... haven't had to claim yet , but I wouldn't play the odds when there is a loan to pay..... plus normally i will be eyeing something new up when the loan runs out....

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Ha. Yeah.

I have TPFT and no car. Next car will be fully comp., without a doubt.

Gil

I read about your accident. Lucky escape but unlucky as the guilty party "got away". Luckily when I had my accident last year the police arrested the other driver and the court case is up next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Fully comp, but only because my car is worth near 30k.

Up until a few weeks ago, I was TPFT as my car was only worth ~€4500, and the cost of claiming isnt worth it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, when I drove a cheap, old car i only had TPF&T, but went fully comp once I changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have fully comp on a car worth 2k. To me it's worth it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

Ive 2 policies both fully comp and one is on a €300 corolla!!

not that I'd claim for the sake of the €300 but it's the piece of mind knowing I could if had to!!

bike is tpo though as I couldn't get any other kind of quote!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I still can't believe people in this country not going fully comp. I have found the difference between TPFT and FC to be what, about 10%? Even on nearly new cars. The most false economy I've ever seen not to go FC, even in an old, nearly worthless car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

unkel wrote:
    ...The most false economy I've ever seen not to go FC, even in an old, nearly worthless car!

serious question... lets say I drive a worthless 1985 nissan micra why would I want to get comprehensive insurance? instead of the cheaper TPFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i was quoted 3.5k fully comp and 2.4k TPFT on my first car, a 1000 euro micra. the choice is fairly simple for a broke graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think once you hit a certain age there is no difference in TPFT & Fully Comp. A friend of mine a 33yo was qouted €310 Fully Comp on a 1994 Nissan Sunny, he asked for a TPFT quote, they said €310!

I sarted out TPFT years ago but as the cost came down I investigated Fully Comp, now I have been Fully comp for 8-9 years,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

my insurance is 1059/ year TPFT or 1890/year fully comp, pretty easy decision on a car worth bout 1800!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

gucci wrote:
    my insurance is 1059/ year TPFT or 1890/year fully comp, pretty easy decision on a car worth bout 1800!!!

If you crash into a lampost (skid on ice for example) & cause €1,200 worth of damage, your covered under fully comp, under TPFT you pay for the damage outta your own pocket.
    It may never happen but personally i prefer the peace of mind. & most companies throw windscreen damage free with full comp, but with TPFT its normally an optional extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

TBH I'm actually surprised nobody has voted for none!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've saved thousands over the years by having TPFT + windscreen cover instead of FC. At one stage the difference was 100% (i.e FC was double TPFT) not 10% like unkel says!

But now that I'm a bit older and possibly buying more expensive cars I'm coming around to the idea of FC.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    I still can't believe people in this country not going fully comp. I have found the difference between TPFT and FC to be what, about 10%? Even on nearly new cars. The most false economy I've ever seen not to go FC, even in an old, nearly worthless car!
    I have often been quoted more for TPFT than for FC by the AA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,761 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have fully comp even though the car is crap and cheap.

If i crash and end up in hospital, FC covers me while TOFT doesn't, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Tauren wrote:
    If i crash and end up in hospital, FC covers me while TOFT doesn't, right?

I was under the impression that it did when I took out my FC policy, but have been told otherwise since.

Now it seems like a waste of money, given that my car is worth only around €2,000

EDIT: Hmm, looks like personal accident is covered. I should probably read my policy document :o
    As part of our car insurance cover we offer:

* Named driver experience discount*
    * Easy monthly payment option
    * Loss of keys cover
    * Personal accident cover**
    * Medical expenses**

* Hotel expenses**
    * Audio equipment

** Comprehensive cover only

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cornbb wrote:
    I was under the impression that it did when I took out my FC policy, but have been told otherwise since.

Now it seems like a waste of money, given that my car is worth only around €2,000
    told by whom?
    Check your policy documents as many of them offer personal cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

kbannon wrote:
    told by whom?
    Check your policy documents as many of them offer personal cover.

Personal accident cover up to €6,500 (payable only in the case of death, loss of eyesight or limbs)
    Medical expenses up to €135

I am NOT impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Have fully comprehensive insurance on a car worth ~ €5,000

I think most people who go for TPFT are missing the bigger picture. As mentioned before - what about medical expenses?

I had quite a serious accident last Sept. It wasn't my fault but of course the other driver said it wasn't his fault either. It took the police 3-4 months for them to investigate this accident and their conclusion was that the other guy was at fault and is being charged with "Dangerous Driving" and "Serious Injury Caused Through Negligence". For those few months, I had to claim from my own insurance company. The bills came to around €30,000 (my car, loss of income, MRI, CT Scan, operation...etc).

Where the hell would I have got that cash from if I'd been insured TPFT? Thank God I'm FC even though it wasn't my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Keith C wrote:
    If you crash into a lampost (skid on ice for example) & cause €1,200 worth of damage, your covered under fully comp, under TPFT you pay for the damage outta your own pocket

Not sure what you mean there, Keith. If you mean that you cause €1,200 worth of damage to the lamp post, both insurance policies will pay out. If you mean that you cause €1,200 worth of damage to your own car, only the FC policy will pay out
    vector wrote:
    serious question... lets say I drive a worthless 1985 nissan micra why would I want to get comprehensive insurance? instead of the cheaper TPFT

Fair point - I can't argue with that! On the other hand, it is very expensive generally to insure an old banger. It might be cheaper to scrap the banger, buy a slightly newer car and insure it comprehensively as opposed to insuring the banger TPFT!
    kbannon wrote:
    I have often been quoted more for TPFT than for FC by the AA.

At first glance that doesn't make sense to some people. But it does make sense! It has no doubt to do with ones risk profile. Someone seeking only TPFT is a risk taker. From the statistics that might mean that they are more likely to be involved in an accident or make higher claims on average

A similar thing happens when say a man with a full license and a full NCB adds his female partner with no NCB and only a provisional license and his premium drops :eek:

Advertisement