Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test in Rathgar - a few questions

Options
  • 07-08-2007 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hey, I have a test coming up in Rathgar really soon (thought I had applied to a different centre which is odd but anyway) and have a few questions you guys might be able to answer

I've read through a few threads here which discuss the test routes - how do I find out what these are for my centre? Is this just done by taking local lessons? I live quite far away from Rathgar and don't know the area at all so this is quite important!

I've been driving for well over a year now and I'm afraid to admit that I've never had a proper lesson. Should I take lessons as soon as possible or would it be better to just do some pretests right away?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Lesson v Pre-test not a whole pile of difference really?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I passed my test in Rathgar. My advice would be to get on to the Irish school of motoring for 2 lessons. I had one the Saturday before, just to get pointers and learn the routes, then another a few hours before my test.

Its not that bad an area to drive around. I preferred it to Churchtown where I did my original test. The only thing to watch out for is a hillstart on a relatively busy hill where it's easy to get stung on observation, right of way and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fasty wrote:
    just to get pointers and learn the routes
    A candidate shouldn't be too dependent on learning the 'routes' of a particular test centre. A tester can divert off the normal route at a whim or because of roadworks, accidents, congestion etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jules7723

If you haven't taken your test yet, would definitely advise getting a couple of lessons under your belt.

I took my test at Rathgar and bought test route from <snip> - I felt it helped (I passed first time!) Website is -<snip> go to the Shop section.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

A candidate shouldn't be too dependent on learning the 'routes' of a particular test centre. A tester can divert off the normal route at a whim or because of roadworks, accidents, congestion etc.

Of course, but there's still only so many areas you can go and there's a few spots that can throw someone who doesn't know the area like the bizarre roundabout around the church.

Sure, a good driver should be able to handle it, but being used to the area can help with hesitation. It's not like roadsigns and markings make much sense in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I passed my test in Rathgar a while ago and had had in the reion of 15 lessons in the area all in the test are. Then the route that I was taken on for my test I had never driven before so they can change it. I have been told over and over again there is no test route just a test are. They can take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have been told over and over again there is no test route just a test are. They can take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius.
    Yes, I have done the test for motorcycle, car, rigid truck, articulated truck and bus and none of the tests followed the normal "test routes" (all in Finglas).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't go out there on a blinder, go out on the weekends and learn the roads, it certainly helps when you know the area.

when you get your date and time - normally at 2 weeks notice - try and go to rathgar at that time and day - if possible - and see what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ohyeah

can I just ask when did you apply to Rathgar and how long did you wait to be called for your test? best of luck btw;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Ohyeah wrote:
    can I just ask when did you apply to Rathgar and how long did you wait to be called for your test? best of luck btw;)

Not sure if this will help but I applied to churchtown/Rathgar in September last year and ended up getting the test in Deansgrange in April so that's about a 8 month wait.

OP don't be too concerned with the route as it could quite easily change. I'm still amazed how everyone seems to be concerned with the actual route, it shouldn't make any difference. The tester will, or should, give clear instructions and in plenty of time. So just go where he directs you.

You should get a few lessons, if Rathgar is far for you, get a 2 hour lesson, and just have the instructor show you the various roads that the test could follow. When i done my pretest the instructor done a mock test, where he would act as the tester, marking what i was doing wrong and told me. Then we went on another run but he talked through what i was going wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Ohyeah wrote:

I applied for my test in Rathgar at the end of May - My test is scheduled for the 19th of september

That's only a 16 week wait! I didn't apply for a cancellation or anything and I can't drive so it's a bit of a problem! I know the waiting times they have online are only guidelines but it said 40 weeks! I really didn't expect it to be so soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

The best money i ever spent was on 3 pre test lessons in Naas.

Advertisement