Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhounds

Options
  • 07-08-2007 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

can anyone tell me how i'll get a nice shiny coat on my greyhound. she's a blue bitch 14 months old and she doesn't seem to have shed her coat. i've tried cod liver oil and carron oil in her diet. she gets loats of meat, eggs etc i've tried brushing it to get rid of the old hair. any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

My boy's coats gleam on Burns food.
    http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

What are you feeding her?
    Also is she kept in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tellmethis

ok thanks.
    its a greyhound, course i'm not keeping her in the house. feed her the usual mainly red meat dog nuts some potatoe and bread. she wont really eat any veg, except grass which is good for her anyhow, she's going to be racing soon so she's not really a pet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

tellmethis wrote:
    ok thanks.
    its a greyhound, course i'm not keeping her in the house.

That was a fairly valid question. If infact she was a rescue you would have to keep her indoors as per the terms of the adoption. She may not have shed because she's cold given the summer has been very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Give the dog complete dog nuts which include all the nutrients required. Stay away from bread and potatoe too much carbs can be harmful.

Try linseed oil in the feed as well. I had a horse and gave her linseed oil to get the shine up and it worked well.

Even if you are not seeing any effect of cod liver oil its best to keep going with as it is good for the limbs.

A dull coat can suggest that the dog is not healthy and might require a blood test by the vet. Put a infrared lamp in the kennel as they do require warmth if they are kept outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

tellmethis wrote:
    ok thanks.
    its a greyhound, course i'm not keeping her in the house.

:D:D:D

Ok hes not a greyhound but he's close... look at that lovely shiny coat:D
    Bustersheepskinedit.jpg
    If they're living outside its a lot more difficult...

BTW I found an old greyhound book from 1921 in my parents house recently. In addition to chapters about training and feeding, it had a chapter about greyhounds as companions, and described how suitable they are as house pets, and how clean they are inside.
    Where did it all go wrong:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement