Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Updates ... somewhere on HD ??

• 07-08-2007 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭

When you download and install windows updates for XP , are they stored somewhere on the hard drive ?

I want to format and reinstall and I just thought that if they were it would save me the bother of d/ling them again .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

They are. But if you do a clean install, you need to run Windows Update to download them all again. That means downloading all the big ones again: Media Player 11, IE 7, etc. Lots of restarts. Usually get it done in a few hours to a few days.

Open up Windows Update and, after the initial scan, choose the Expert option [i.e. not Express]. Open the link on the left which details your update history. Make note of every update you installed. They all begin with KBxxxxx. Follow the links and download all these updates. Then head over to n-Lite to make a special Windows CD which will include all these updates. You can slipstream and service packs for Windows also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭jonski

Due to a house alarm going off all night and keeping me awake I got up at 5 this morning and went about the format and reinstall plus all the updates , but I am going to look into that now and have it ready for the next one .

Thanks alot for that .

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭carveone

ethernet wrote:
    They are. But if you do a clean install, you need to run Windows Update to download them all again.

yeah, it's a pain in the face the way MS do that... I was exploring what happens when you update. The files are downloaded to c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download, expanded and then the compressed files are deleted. That's as far as I've got :rolleyes: I'm not sure if just saving the softwaredistribution folder to CD would be a useful thing to do....

The update log file tells you more if you're mega bored. Big problem is (I did it last week) there are 80 updates since SP2. And that's just core updates!
    ethernet wrote:
    Then head over to n-Lite to make a special Windows CD which will include all these updates.
    oooh. Nice. I was aware of autopatcher but not of nlite. Ta... Oh, and msfn.org forums are interesting too (for those of us with no life).

Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

carveone wrote:
    ... ooh. Nice. I was aware of autopatcher but not of nlite. Ta... Oh, and msfn.org forums are interesting too (for those of us with no life).

Conor.
    A lot of work but it's worth it. I've gotten into creating images of my hard drive instead. Got me out a sticky situation. Windows didn't like me creating extra partitions for Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD all in the same day! :D

Advertisement