Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to teach kids NOT to be racist

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I think you should do as other poster's have suggested and just explain to the child that they don't comment about people's looks, mannerisms, clothes etc. If the child said somebody was fat that would be just as offensive as commenting on their skin colour or some other aspect of their looks.

I think people can do more harm than good when they try to be tactful. My 3year old daughter was given a present of a black baby doll by an aunt and was delighted, made no distinction between it and another doll she already had. A few days later another aunt picked it up and asked "Who bought the southern hemisphere baby?" My daughter has since been trying to call her "son hems baby". I'm just glad she pick it up clearly enough to say it clearly next time she sees a real baby the same colour. My point is that since the aunt pointed out the difference, the doll is no longer just another baby doll to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No child is born racist, it's learned from others.
    So once you are tolerant, your child will learn from you

quoted for truth. Nobody has inherent racism - it's an acquired behaviour just like many others. Children will make comments about differences - it's all part of their learning process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

All children will make comments about differneces until they are tought that is it rude to do so.

My daughter recently went up to a lady wearing an aba ( muslim coverings for women ) tapped her on the arm said "Excuse me" and ask the lady if she was a nun. Thankfully the lady found this quiet funny and explained that she was not a nun, not a christain, that her husband was standing just over there and that she was Islamic.
    My daughter then said she liked her dress but did it come in pink. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

There's two things going on... well only one in your case.

There's noticing that someone is different... that's ok.

Then there's thinking that person is less than you because they're different - that's racism. You're nipper obviously isn't manifesting that!

Funny how these things seem to happen in Tescos... my little girl commented on a friend of ours' physical dimensions once... we were mortified... what can you do... it was just an observation on her part she did nothing wrong. I think a previous poster hit the nail on the head... it's teaching your child that it's not good manners to comment on other people's appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Thaedydal wrote:
    All children will make comments about differneces until they are tought that is it rude to do so.

My daughter recently went up to a lady wearing an aba ( muslim coverings for women ) tapped her on the arm said "Excuse me" and ask the lady if she was a nun. Thankfully the lady found this quiet funny and explained that she was not a nun, not a christain, that her husband was standing just over there and that she was Islamic.
    My daughter then said she liked her dress but did it come in pink. :)

I think thats a lovely example of the innocence of children :D

OP,
    As has been said its important to explain to your kids what the differences they see in people are and most importantly that being different does not mean being bad or does not give the right to be made fun of.
    In no way do I think it was a racist act on your child part.
    I have found when such issues arise its best to speak to the child as soon after the event as possible and be claim and use it as a chance to teach you child rather than give out to them.

I feel for your embarrassment, and you were right to make a quick exist :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not racist, but one thing that people are very guilty of is "big = good, small = bad". It makes small people (of all types) feel guilty.

Victor wrote:
    Not racist, but one thing that people are very guilty of is "big = good, small = bad". It makes small people (of all types) feel guilty.

I think you will have to explain yourself a little better, or I am missing something :confused:

Only BIG people are allowed stay up late.

Only BIG people are allowed drink alcohol.

BIG people don't cry.

It creates an image of BIG = good, small = bad.

Victor wrote:

BIG people don't cry.

Ahhh ! I see :D

Well in my house its not always the bigger that wins as my eldest is almost bigger than me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Victor wrote:

BIG people don't cry.

Awww, Come on. Are kids really that stupid?

• Advertisement

Conditioned, not stupid.

Advertisement