Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room Smell ??

Options
  • 07-08-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Can anyone...other than a budding comedian...shed any light on what might cause a fish-like smell in a front bedroom....which only appears at night ?? Honest. Never get the smell in the morning...but around 11pm-ish...it can get really bad. The bedroom is actually the old main bedroom and a boxroom which were joined into one before we moved into the house. So there has been construction in the room. The smell happens whether the heating is on or off. There was some damp in the living room which was traced to a chimney seal...so I presume at one stage there might have been dampness behind a built-in wardrobe...but the smell doesn't appear to come from there. There is a small en-suite...but no sign of a smell in there...EVER.

My wife has suggested lifting the floorboards to see if there's something there...but why only late at night ??. Might it be something outside...like a sewer...a something happens at 11pm-ish in a treatment centre somewhere which agitates the pipe ?. But it's only the one room we ever get the smell in.

I've just read what I've written...and it does capture the situation !!. I am serious by the way.

Any help welcome.

Thanks,
    K.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

maybe there's a realy horny midget hiding under the floorboards?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it any thing to do with a light fitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

My aunt had the same problem. It was dust on the light bulb getting hot and giving the fishy smell. Could be the shade either.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

Thanks guys...that sounds dangerously like a solution !!. I'll let you know.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its the ceiling light fitting disintigrating from age and overheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just had the same problem in one of my rooms.The ceiling rose/fitting was the culprit.It too was blackened and smelled bad.Happens just after the light bulb heats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

99.5% certain its the ceiling rose, check the rest of them in the house
    when you're repairing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Yep, I had something similar when in rented accom at college. Turned out it was the light. Try switching on the light during the day and see if the smell appears.

Advertisement