Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Lights

Options
  • 07-08-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi. Has anyone had problems replacing their bathroom lights? I went to change mine at the weekend, but couldn't get the cover off in the bathroom or en suite. I'm not sure if they were painted on, or if it's just something I was doing wrong. If it was a few months ago, I'd ring Greg, but not sure if they're still around.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Which part of Charlesland are you in? In the Wood, the bathroom light fitting is screw-on and you have to apply a fair amount of pressure the first time you remove it as they seem to have been screwed in pretty tightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

If it is the "globe type" light fitting (many are) the heat of the bulb has the effect of melting the threads in the globe together. It should just screw off by turning anticlockwise (as you arelooking up). Sometimes it is not possible to remove the cover without breaking the light fitting. If you manage to remove the cover without breaking it replace the bulb with a CFL (energy saving type) because they generate little heat.

The problem often is that when you try to take the cover off the light fitting often comes off the ceiling, leaving you with a big hole. If this happens, I would reccomend replcing it with a "2D" type fitting. They are normally ideal for bathroom use (ie waterproof & plastic, bright, cheap to buy and energy efficient. Electricaly they are connected the same as the original light fitting.

As an electrician I have refused to fit this type of light due to the problems they cause.

If you need any more information, (where to buy, how to connect) PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Fi Fi wrote:
    Hi. Has anyone had problems replacing their bathroom lights? I went to change mine at the weekend, but couldn't get the cover off in the bathroom or en suite.

Which light??

The big round one on the ceiling or the flatish one on the wall?

The flat one has 3 release clasps, two on top and one on the bottom. They take a bit of force to undo but i manged to do it without pulling the fitting off the wall.

Ru

Advertisement