Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone speak French or Dutch?

Options
  • 08-08-2007 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

This is (allegedly) some new Belgian legislation allowing the free (ie. unregistered/unrestricted) ownership of Historical firearms, complete with a detailed list of these firearms-
    http://www.unact.be/fr/pdf/BS02082007.pdf

Can anyone with a good knowledge of either language either confirm or refute this?
    My Inter Cert French from (very!) long ago isn't up to this sort of thing. :rolleyes:

If it's true, it's got to be spectacularly good news, especially considering that Brussels is the nerve centre of the E.U. and sets the 'agenda' for lots of policy and proposed legislation.

The very fact that I haven't heard this being shouted from the rooftops makes me suspicious that it's not what I'm led to believe though, but I'd like to have it clarified one way or the other.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I didn't translate the document, but the description on the linking webpage describes it as a list of historical, folkloric (sic) and decorative firearms which are allowed for 'free' sale.

However, ammunition for these firearms will require a licence, and if they are to be used, the firearms will also need a licence.

That seems to be the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Stick it in tranlsate.google.com - it does a fairly good job. I use it when browsing the German dealers while salivating over all their shooting goodies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Aaah, thanks for that folks.
    Not quite as good as was hoped, but still excellent news for collectors.

I wonder how big a deal it is to get the 'authorization' to possess ammunition and fire these firearms?

babel fish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Rovi wrote:
    Aaah, thanks for that folks.
    Not quite as good as was hoped, but still excellent news for collectors.

I wonder how big a deal it is to get the 'authorization' to possess ammunition and fire these firearms?

It being Belgian law, I presume that it would be covered by existing Belgian legislation. So it would depend on calibre, action etc.

AFAIK the Belgian legislation is very like a lot of other European firearms legislation in that it differentiates between the different categories of firearm for licencing purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'm a native of that place myself and done a bit of shooting with the old man over there as well as a kid before I took it up again here. All legislation in regards to firearms there has gotten a lot stricter recently and is quite comparable to the Irish situation now. As for "historical" weapons I'm quite sure you can still own just about anything as long as it's permanently deactived ( firing mechanism removed or welded shut, concrete or lead poored in the barrel,...). As far as importing to Ireland is concerned I think you still need a licence and an importation permit from the DOJ.

Advertisement