Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Funding For Foreign Students?

Options
  • 08-08-2007 3:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I'm coming over from London, I've an Irish passport but have not lived there for any great length of time.

Would I be eligible for anything other than Free Fees? If so, who would I contact - my local authority here in London, or at the uni e.g. Galway

Ta

Comments

There's the maintenance grant scheme which does cover EU students but which will only allow you to not pay the Registration Fee (which'll be a saving of €825 I think). The people to talk to would be the County Council nearest to where you'll be living, so that'll be Galway.

There are other small funds which are dependent on your situation - the back to education allowance, the student assistance fund, funds for students with disabilities etc. Actually, the best people to give an oversight on these areas would be the Student Support Unit of the Dept. of Education. Some information on these is given in my signature :p

The Student Support Unit,
    Department of Education and Science,
    Portlaoise Road,
    Tullamore,
    Co. Offaly
    Tel: (0506) 21363 or (01) 8734700
    E-mail: StudentSupportUnit-Tullamore@education.gov.ie

(calling from the UK you'll have to call 0035350621363, or 0035318734700 ... you get the idea!)

There is the UK grant system, which I found a page on here. On a side note, wow you can apply for a grant online.

Finally, there may be various grants/schemes within the college itself for people from your area so it might be worthwhile contacting them directly.

Good luck!

Advertisement