Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should MS recall current 360s?

• 08-08-2007 7:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

I've been reading that in the coming months all new 360s will ship with HDMI output and 65nm CPUs. They should also have taken greater steps towards fixing the overheating and drive noise issues.

So I'm wondering to myself, would it be more beneficial for Microsoft to just offer a recall on all 360s and cancel the 3 year warranty thing, or should they just go on with the almost never ending stream of failing 360s and the bad press associated with it.

It would make for great publicity.
    They could hold their hands up and say "Sorry folks, we admit there are serious problems with the current systems but we want to put things right."

Maybe it's just a case of waiting til these changes are confirmed, go wrap your 360 in a couple of towels and play it til it burns out, and then ship it off to be replaced with the newer model.

Killian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I can't see how recalling 11 million machines makes for great publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

K!LL!@N wrote:
    I've been reading that in the coming months all new 360s will ship with HDMI output and 65nm CPUs. They should also have taken greater steps towards fixing the overheating and drive noise issues.

...did they confirm that HDMI will be be available in units other than then Elite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

HDMI will only be in the Elite models

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

today XBMC's ticker says that its rumoured all xboxs will have HDMI in the coming months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Where would they get 11 million new consoles to replace the 11 million returned ones?
    Send it off and join a queue and they might have it made for you by this time next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I bought a 360 soon after they were launched - it was in January, so I guess that was Jan 2006?

I rarely use it but it's seriously noisy, and I was planning on getting a HD-DVD drive for it but reckon I'd need to get the noise sorted out first. It doesn't turn on first time and never did - you have to turn it on, back off, and then on again for it to work.

It also crashes every now and then at startup - the ring thing around the power button just flashes red. All in all, I reckon I have a good case for a repair.

Would my machine still be covered by a free repair and is there any chance they'll do something about the sound? If it'll still be as noisy when I get it back I won't bother returning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Only 3 red lights is covered in the extended warranty, you should have sent it back when you got the problem originally :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

It will still be noisy more than likely Grimey, I sent mine back (it had no problem other than noise) hoping they would swap the dvd drive out but they never did :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

There's some mathematical formula they use to work this stuff out.

They multiply the amount of units sold by the percentage of broken units by the cost it will take to fix them and compare that to the cost of a full scale recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

silvine wrote:
    There's some mathematical formula they use to work this stuff out.

They multiply the amount of units sold by the percentage of broken units by the cost it will take to fix them and compare that to the cost of a full scale recall.

You got that from Ed Nortons job from Fight Club.

I had to send mine back 3 times for freezing. It had gotten to a point where during any loading screen between levels or after a match it would just freeze. I never attempted to play music while I was playing the game as again...it would just freeze. I found it very easy to get fixed though. They picked it up from my house and sent it back 14 days later. Handy enough and it has been running perfectly since the last time it was fixed about 6 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

On the HDMI issue, I've been reading various reports that they're adding it to the revised model in the coming months.

The specs for the new Halo 3 model are basically that of the current Premium but you'll notice it includes HDMI.

When I say recall, I guess I mean they should just allow anyone that has a problem with their system should be allowed to ship it off and have it replaced with the newer model.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

kensutz wrote:
    HDMI will only be in the Elite models

wrong ken ;)http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/08/08/hdmi-confirmed-in-new-360-premiums/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It's only HDMI. Sure it would be nice to have it but it isn't going to big loss. There isn't that much difference between component and HDMI anyway. Will this mean that they are getting rid of the current premium or are they going to still sell the current premium but for a cheaper price? There are so many Xbox's out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Looks like the Core is gone aswell....

Thank god, looks like games like Oblivion are now shipping with a sticker "Hard Drive Required"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

I have a feeling that the new 360's with HDMI will launch with the Elite. The reason I think this is because I have a friend who works in game and he was telling me that they havnt had any 360's for about a month now. And they will be getting them back in the same time as the Elite. It seems like MS are getting rid of all the older 360s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

JM MARCONI wrote:
    I have a feeling that the new 360's with HDMI will launch with the Elite. The reason I think this is because I have a friend who works in game and he was telling me that they havnt had any 360's for about a month now. And they will be getting them back in the same time as the Elite. It seems like MS are getting rid of all the older 360s

ALL 360's will be shipping with HDMI in the next month or so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A recall would be a PR disaster for MS and would be so expensive as to put a nail in the coffin of their console business. But it'll be interesting to see how many launch and pre-65nm 360s survive the next few years. I find it quite worrisome that it's taken MS over a year and half to solve this problem. And only time will tell if it really has been solved at all.

The hdmi 360s are apparently already available in the US and I read about someone who sent in their 360 to be repaired a got one of the new ones with 65nm back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

is the 65nm confirmed? Last i read it was just HDMI, no confirmation of 65nm chips, quieter systems and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

What was the point of the Core anyway, they knew all it would is piss off a louda' people. And not to mention waste their money with over priced extras!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

is the 65nm confirmed? Last i read it was just HDMI, no confirmation of 65nm chips, quieter systems and all that jazz.
    Microsoft refuse to comment on the internal components so there's probably not going to be any official confirmation but according to engadget all 360s built after July 4th have the 65nm.
    What was the point of the Core anyway, they knew all it would is piss off a louda' people. And not to mention waste their money with over priced extras!
    Yeah but it was cheap and looks a hell of a lot more appealing sitting next to a 600+ PS3. The people who got it were probably dumb anyway and it never occurred to them that they should have got a Premium. I would never have bought a Core myself but I think it was a smart move by MS at launch, it got the price down. However they should really start phasing it out now. The most important thing is that game developers not remain restricted by it.

I think selling the extras separately was ok too, not everyone needs wifi but I wish they weren't so overpriced. 80/90 euro for a wireless USB adapter is pretty ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

A recall would be a PR disaster for MS and would be so expensive as to put a nail in the coffin of their console business. But it'll be interesting to see how many launch and pre-65nm 360s survive the next few years. I find it quite worrisome that it's taken MS over a year and half to solve this problem. And only time will tell if it really has been solved at all.

The hdmi 360s are apparently already available in the US and I read about someone who sent in their 360 to be repaired a got one of the new ones with 65nm back.

How would you know the system you got back had a 65nm chip, Is there some external marking or something?

skywalker wrote:
    How would you know the system you got back had a 65nm chip, Is there some external marking or something?
    The manufacture date. Most sources indicate post-July 4 2007 = 65nm. It would probably have hdmi as well. Or you could just open it up. :D

Whats most sources? Ive heard the newest machines have hdmi alright, but nowhere Ive read is claiming the new machines have the new 65nm core.

Engadget and a few other places. But since MS won't comment who knows.

Interesting, would be impressive if they had that new quiter model in shops soon.

Well it now seems that the new hdmi 360s have the same motherboard as the Elite, so no 65nm after all. They do have the improved heatsink however.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/10/spot-the-hdmi-enabled-xbox-360-premium-at-retail/

But the Xbox on the right of the picture on Sad Professors link is a Core console, as there is no hard drive on the top of it and the disc drive isn't silver. Would that make any difference?

No, they were just using that pic as a comparison. The left pic is the important one, it indicates the inclusion of a hdmi port. Then the pic of the label below refers to "Zephyr", which is the Elite motherboard. The codename for the 65nm mobo is "Falcon".

Aww right right right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement