Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Wireless router to purchase???

• 08-08-2007 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, good folk, as you can see from another post, I currently have a Linksys wireless B 2.4Ghz 802.11b which is giving me rubbish wireless speeds.

Ideally, I want to be able to connect the router to new PC and have wireless service throughout the house for my laptop. I will need to cover a two storey 2500 sq ft house.

All advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, ;)

Bros

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Upgrade to a new linksys. They're pretty dependable from what I hear. As a matter of interest, what's the model number of the old one?

/edit: somehting like this perhaps http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-and-wi-fi/linksys-wrt150n-wireless-n/4505-3243_7-32327689.html

It is quite expensive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭BROS

Hi Sean K,

The model no is BEFW 11S4 VER 4

Without it I'm getting 1mb/sec with it, it was as low a 42bps - dial up is faster!

It was installed by the Broadband guy, should |I try & re-install it ( getting new PC 2-day, should I download new drivers or dump it & buy new?

Regards,

Bros

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The 'b' standard was effectively the first popular wireless standard and as you would expect from being the first has various drawbacks amongst them is speed through put - area coverage and as far as I know you cannot use the later wpa security with it. None of these is necessarily fatal but they are far from ideal.

There is either something wrong with the linksys or its set up and you dont say how up to date you lap top is - does it have built in wireless or an add on card?

You also dont say if the linksys is an all in one or is working with a modem.

Anyways your best bet in the long term is to upgrade to at least a 'g' router which is the basic standard now while the new 'n' standard better speed through put, better area coverage and better security is becoming more popular however it is still in draft form still.

Did the linksys ever work satisfactorily for you? Is there any possibility a neighbour is helping themselves to your connection?

Peats have a very good offer on Netgear all in one and laptop card both N standard for 99 euros at the moment.

Advertisement