Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-RPM apps

• 08-08-2007 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Red Hat machine at work (bit of a noob at it), and I'd like to get a decent mp3 player for it. XMMS has MP3 playback disabled, so I've been using mpg123, but it's command line only.

I don't have administrator access, so this means I can't install RPM's (I think??).

So basically I'm looking for an mp3 player with any sort of GUI that I can just extract into my home directory and run. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Do you really need a gui??

I'm sure your employers have diabled the mp3 playback for a reason, and trying to circumvent that may land yourself in trouble.

The command line mp3 players should offer you adequate function to satisfy your audio needs. I never use a gui player when i'm on a linux box personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

No the mp3 plugin for XMMS is disabled on Red Hat because of licensing issues.

I suppose I could make .m3u playlists and open them with mpg123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ofc he needs a gui. Jaysus...music from the command line sounds horrible.

I had that exact issue before plazzTT on RHEL (also when I was a noob). Just compile your own xmms (or download a pre-compiled one), stick it in a folder in your home directory (e.g. /home/plazzTT/install) then add that directory to your path / ld_library_path and launch it from there.

You can extract the files in an rpm using rpm2cpio (google that for instructions) and just stick them in the install directory.

Which version of red hat are you using?

Khannie wrote:
    ofc he needs a gui. Jaysus...music from the command line sounds horrible.

I had that exact issue before plazzTT on RHEL (also when I was a noob). Just compile your own xmms (or download a pre-compiled one), stick it in a folder in your home directory (e.g. /home/plazzTT/install) then add that directory to your path / ld_library_path and launch it from there.

You can extract the files in an rpm using rpm2cpio (google that for instructions) and just stick them in the install directory.

Which version of red hat are you using?

Thanks for the help, I'm using RHEL 3.

I've downloaded the Redhat 9.x compile from the XMMS website, and used rpm2cpio and cpio to extract it.

In my home directory, the xmms binary is now in ~/software/xmms/usr/bin/ so I added this to my cshrc file:
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH {my home dir}/software/xmms/usr/lib:$PATH

but when I try to launch xmms, it still can't find libxmms.so.1
    It's definitely in that folder, it just doesn't seem to be looking in the right place?

plazzTT wrote:
    Thanks for the help, I'm using RHEL 3.

I've downloaded the Redhat 9.x compile from the XMMS website, and used rpm2cpio and cpio to extract it.

In my home directory, the xmms binary is now in ~/software/xmms/usr/bin/ so I added this to my cshrc file:
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH {my home dir}/software/xmms/usr/lib:$PATH

do you use csh as your shell?

That should be $LD_LIBRARY_PATH at the end there.
    Don't forget that you need the path to point to the correct xmms binary. What does "which xmms" say?
    plazzTT wrote:
    but when I try to launch xmms, it still can't find libxmms.so.1
    It's definitely in that folder, it just doesn't seem to be looking in the right place?

Try setting it manually in the shell you launch from. Also try sourcing the .cshrc

so:

source .cshrc
    ~/software/xmms/usr/bin/xmms

or:

setenv PATH=~/software/xmms/usr/bin/:${PATH}
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/software/xmms/usr/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
    xmms

You're nearly there. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, yeah I had forgotten to set the path to the binary.

XMMS runs now, but it doesn't load any of it's input/output/effects etc plugins, so it can't output sound, or even read any files.

When I go into Preferences, there are no plugins listed at all.

The plugins are in
    ~/software/xmms/usr/lib/xmms/Input
    ~/software/xmms/usr/lib/xmms/Output
    ~/software/xmms/usr/lib/xmms/General
    etc...

and my .cshrc file (which I sourced) now has:
    setenv PATH ~/software/xmms/usr/bin:$PATH
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ~/software/xmms/usr/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ~/software/xmms/usr/lib/xmms/Input:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

I tried that last line just as a check, because none of the input/output plugins it needs are in the usr/lib folder. I did echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and the new paths I added are included there okay.

Is it because these are plugins rather than libraries?

Thanks for the help. I'm learning a good bit here :D

EDIT: it seems that XMMS was looking in my ~/.xmms/Plugins folder, so I made this be a link to my ~/software/xmms/usr/lib/xmms/ folder.
    There's probably a better way by setting up a path though?

It's been a while since I used xmms and it's not in the gentoo repository so I can't help you much more but you're basically there. It's just a configuration issue now. I'd suggest the following:

Check through each of the xmms preferences.
    Failing that, have a look in ~/.xmms for any files you can manually edit to specify the correct directories
    Failing that, try mv ~/.xmms ~/.xmms.old and restart xmms.

Advertisement